Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 5:35pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    Hey, I thought this thread was about Kajukenbo?
    I think it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction on my part. Those videos look a lot to me like "Kenpo + Leg Locks." That coupled with new2bjj's reference to "overkill" and I guess that's where my mind went. Those compliant "You lunge punch and stand there while I slap you two dozen times" drills are straight outta the Kenpo playbook. Looks like they've included some ground fighting after the takedown, which I think is awesome. But it also adds another layer of needless complication to those drills. The sparring looks pretty good. Get rid of those drills and we might have something here!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    That's cool, I love seeing the kneebars and chokes integrated in. I wonder if those are more modern interpetations.
    The Ju in Kajukenbo stands for "Judo & Jujitsu", so these type of techniques have always been there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 6:25pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    I think it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction on my part. Those videos look a lot to me like "Kenpo + Leg Locks." That coupled with new2bjj's reference to "overkill" and I guess that's where my mind went. Those compliant "You lunge punch and stand there while I slap you two dozen times" drills are straight outta the Kenpo playbook. Looks like they've included some ground fighting after the takedown, which I think is awesome. But it also adds another layer of needless complication to those drills. The sparring looks pretty good. Get rid of those drills and we might have something here!

I agree to a point about complaint drills. But I also see the need when first learning to target strikes, and to develop form, speed, and balance. Just like boxers shadow box and do bagwork and pad work. Or like Muay Thai guys also train katas, bag work and pad work.
    But if all a school is doing is complaint drills, katas, and point type sparring, then there are some big holes in their training.
    And when you mention "Ke?po", it brings to mind some 300# guy slapping the **** out of somebody who's just standing there like a statue. And someone who's grappling consists of a foot sweep, followed by some stomping.
    Grappling and ground work has always been in Kajukenbo. "Ju" for judo. Some people do the bare minimum that is in the basic belt requirements, some do quite a bit. As you can see from this clip, judo has plenty of ground techniques (Newaza): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u41omoNO4U

Like any system, there are some schools who emphasize sport competition like point fighting, kickboxing, and mma. Some that concentrate strickly on self defense. And some that do some of both.

I don't know the person who started this thread, but the the 3rd clip he posted is of my students. You can see that the drill is quite live. It's not as hard core as the "Ultimate Fighter", but none of those students are training to compete in MMA.
    In fact they range in age from 13 to 50. And in rank from white belt to black. So people are not being pushed any harder then they can handle. In other words the bigger guys, or higher ranks are not trying to beat the **** out of the smaller or lower ranks. But they are pushing them to work their hardest and adapt, whether their standing, on the ground, or facing multiple or armed attackers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 9:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bishop,

Cool Judo video, thanks for posting.

Just curious, how much ground work do you do at your school? I would say ours is about 1/4 (the remaining being roughly 1/4 striking, 1/4 self defense, and 1/4 warm up, cool downs, misc stuff).

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Kempofist. Is that one of Bono's boys? He looks good. Those blocks and parries look familiar. It's unfortunate we can only use a small percentage of our Kaju training in the ring.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/24/2007 11:52am at . Reason: link died
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I just can't help myself. High grade Kajukenbo is the practice of "... improvisational responses based on the principles..." and it works just fine. Or at least it worked on me fine, as delivered by Prof "Luna" Emperado and Reynaldo and the guys in HI. Eh, who's that haole boy?
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 9/20/2007 8:07pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 8:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OsZ0XKtbG4
    Wow, oldie but goody, and our dear whorion/bad sifu has a bunch here:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
    and stuff like this teencrappling
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPdKp0qXE4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast