Our Sponsors:

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 333940414243 4445464753 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much does it differ in the written language? In the menu of the Avanti homepage, there are some Chinese signs. Can you judge the dialect from those? Or is it only in the spoken language?

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 8:16pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbe78 View Post
    How much does it differ in the written language? In the menu of the Avanti homepage, there are some Chinese signs. Can you judge the dialect from those? Or is it only in the spoken language?

I would have to ask her to read it, and she's in bed, hey I'm not stupid!

When we've spoken about this before, and it was unrelated to this thread, just generally, she explained that there is no written system for cantonese, it's purely spoken, it's one reason why they learn mandarin, firstly because it's the official language, but secondarily, if you want to write something in 'chinese' then you have to write it in mandarin chinese, there simply isnt the mechanism to do that in cantonese. I'm not sure what that means as I'm a lot more familiar with writing japanese than chinese, and she may not have explained it well to me, because while her english is good, she has to dumb stuff down for the gwai lo, just as I pick my words carefully for her.

Her kids certainly hated chinese dictation at school as it's not easy, ironically, all the government and legal documentation in HongKong is still in english for official reasons, and their version of legalese is really hard.

But I'll ask her to have a look at what she sees, without priming her as to why. But I must say, this side of his story is very suspect, earlier in the thread he was noted to use manadarin words in a radio interview, not cantonese, but he claims to have been in the major cantonese speaking area of china, guangdong, which is basically the bit of china that surrounds HK:

If he really lived there and was able to speak mandarin, it would be reasonable to expect his cantonese, to be fluent, at that age he would have been playing with local kids etc and they would have only known cantonese, and mandarin would almost be a foreign language.

Living in that area, cantonese would have been his first local language, mandarin very much a second, unless of course he got the entire idea from "An Officer And a Gentleman"..

I will though, ask her to have a look.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, the "Questions and Answers" section is still not displayed on the page, pretty strange, if he wants to appear trustworthy

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 9:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ladidada, 20 pages of similar time wasting have just been culled. Present credible arguments backed up with evidence rather than the unsubstantiated CONVENIENT excuses presented by TA, or simply stop posting.
    I know absolutely nothing about martial arts save a series I used to watch on BBC Three called Mind, Body and Kiss Ass moves (which was pretty cool) so I am quite happy not to post here again if it is annoying anyone.

This is one of the longest and most detailed discussions on Tony that I could find on the net and so as curious reader I checked on it a few months ago and now more recently since I've been looking into the author more.

I just wanted people to know about him being on TV tomorrow because I too am curious to see something happen which will settle some of the doubts I have. However what I didn't want was for someone to end up being horrible to Tony live on air because I advertised his appearence on a forum which is very hostile toward him. Especially as I emailed him and was nice, sent me a free dvd, I would feel bad like I were feeding him to the lions.

I don't know about Tony, but I know I am not perfect and as a Christ-ian I watch my mouth a lot more than I used to because I know that am also a sinner, albeit no longer intentionally, and on top of that do not want to be a hypocrite. That doesn't mean Christians aren't meant to "test all things" or identify the those who are true from those who are wolves in sheeps clothing.

Wait Wait Wait Wait. He changed his name and details due to death threats but, parades around on TV?
    That's why I'm here, if that email and the dvd had been enough for me I would require further evidence. I considered a reason for why what he said could be true (but I'm sure no one want to hear it) and similarly had my reservations about it.

Again I'm a bit out of the loop with the latest stuff presented, I remember the earlier arguments re: Al Caponey etc. His evidence is weak and I suppose you could argue there is no evidence but that you take the book on faith and your own judgement. I am waiting to assign Taming the Tiger a truth or fallacy in my own mind because I was reading the book, found it uplifting then came online to find out more and had huge shock.

That's why I'm interested in this discussion and tomorrow, if I conclude it's a lie I'll simply leave the book and the whole topic alone. I think some people like me may have taken the story to heart, assumed it was true and now want to know for sure. I have heard things which defy imagination so I approach it differently.

On I think the Lion Man or some lion documentary I never forget this part where one of the cast were recalling an incident where there were stuck out somewhere remote in a vehicle among a brood of white lions and were very nervous as the females had given birth or something and it was nightfall.

They describe how out of the dark this African lady came through singing this song with her little children and this calm just came completely over the lions and she was able to walk through without a reaction at all from lions.

That is unimaginable, little children? I could try to find proof this documentary if anyone is interested. So you see for me, I believe some things which are unlikely but I hope not to point of stupidity.

But if someone else feels without a doubt that he is lying I don't see the point in investigating further, isn't it a waste of time if you already have your answer?

"It would mean something if he understood nothing, to us, but his larger audience, wouldn't think it out of place in the slightest"
    That's probably true, I am unfortunatley not familair with oriental (hope that's correct) culture.

I pointed him in the direction of the Bullshido thread.
    I think that may simply cause them to be more selective about calls so that something embarrassing doesn't happen live on air. Although this thread has some valid points, the way it's presented can seem very aggressive and derogatory which I why I stopped reading after a while.

Moderator please feel free to cut my post if you don't think it's suitable.

B
    Last edited by ladidada; 1/19/2010 9:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidada View Post
    Especially as I emailed him and was niceB
    I am christian myself and I too wanted to defend Tony, but after digging a little more into it, I just found it too hard to believe him. I asked him some questions about passages in the book and made it clear that it was to clear him of the accusations. I got no other answer, than: It will be corrected in the next issue. However, the correction that he mentioned, will not make up for the problem and I find it arrogant that he doesn't even take time to read the question. I lost a great deal of respect for that man.

Btw, it is a little too easy to buy people with free stuff(if that what he is trying and I'm afraid that's what is), it is seemingly much harder to give a respectful answer and Tony fails big time to do so.

His "Think" presentation was the one of the few things that gave him credibility to me. The problem is, he didn't make that presentation, he used without having the rights from the person who made it. This was actually confirmed by one of Tonys fellow evangelists.

He is getting attacked hard in here and that it is maybe not fair, but you have to realize that he never gives useful answers to the questions he keeps getting. That i find suspicious.

Now, Tony does not make a lot of money, I think, but that is not always the only reason for lying. I have a theory that he is trying to make an interesting story to catch attention, because he wants to share the gospel. And yes, I believe that a man, who says, he's a follower of Christ, actually could be a liar and use wrong means to share the gospel.
    Tony has had every chance to explain himself and I'm sure he's very aware of this site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like the DVD contains interviews with his trainers. I read that in another forum. The problem is, his trainer was his granddad? So who would those trainers be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 4:41am

Style: bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidada View Post
    On I think the Lion Man or some lion documentary I never forget this part where one of the cast were recalling an incident where there were stuck out somewhere remote in a vehicle among a brood of white lions and were very nervous as the females had given birth or something and it was nightfall.

They describe how out of the dark this African lady came through singing this song with her little children and this calm just came completely over the lions and she was able to walk through without a reaction at all from lions.

That is unimaginable, little children? I could try to find proof this documentary if anyone is interested. So you see for me, I believe some things which are unlikely but I hope not to point of stupidity.
    The "Lion Man" TV series was not all it seemed.

It featured Craig Busch as the "lion man" in his battle to save "rare / endangered white lions".

Only white are not rare or endangered. They are not a seperate species or sub-species but a genetic mutation frequently bred by animal dealers (often involving in breeding, mutations and birth defects) to attract paying customers to commercial businesses, of which Zion Wildlife Gardens is an example.

There is no selective breding programme sanctioned by bona-fide conservation groups because the lions have no conservation value.

Also Mr Busch did not keep his large felines in suitably safe enclosures, but encouraged keepers to keep the animals on leads, which was a disaster waiting to happen, even though the animals had been hand reared from a very young age and were very used to close human contact.

In May of last year a keeper at the park was mauled to death by a "tame" white tiger, a tiger that had been bottle fed and reared by hand.

The children you describe in your post had a lucky escape.

As for Tony Anthony I have a very strong suspicion that he does speak some Cantonese. I am most interested to see the horrific scarring on his forearms that the bowl of molten metal would have left behind.

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 9:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am christian myself and I too wanted to defend Tony, but after digging a little more into it, I just found it too hard to believe him. I asked him some questions about passages in the book and made it clear that it was to clear him of the accusations. I got no other answer, than: It will be corrected in the next issue. However, the correction that he mentioned, will not make up for the problem and I find it arrogant that he doesn't even take time to read the question. I lost a great deal of respect for that man.
    That doesn't sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbe78 View Post
    Seems like the DVD contains interviews with his trainers. I read that in another forum. The problem is, his trainer was his granddad? So who would those trainers be?
    I am most interested to see the horrific scarring on his forearms that the bowl of molten metal would have left behind.
    The only people from the book in the DVD I got were his wife and the missionary who visited him in prison Michael. In one part of the DVD he returns to the prison and talks outside during which he mentions the scar on his arm to make a metaphorical parallel between that and the prison. The camera focuses on his arm for a moment and I could sort of see a scar but it was not (to me) huge or awful looking.

B
    Last edited by ladidada; 1/20/2010 9:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thankyou for the information Ladidada

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 7:08pm

Style: Japan Highschool Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!