Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don Madden / AKJU

Ok, so I've known about this man for a little over a year now, and I've been suspicious since I first looked at his website and saw all of his claims (listed below) I chalked it up to Japanese JuJitsu as opposed to BJJ and decided not to worry about it and was looking forward to trying one of the AKJU tournaments because they are only about an hour away from me, super cheap, and I have a friend that was going to be competing. Long story short, I decided not to compete after reading the rules (which took me forever to find, I even contacted them on Facebook and the woman who runs Don Madden’s AKJU Facebook and she acted as if I was crazy for asking about rules before signing up. She kept telling me that “Don’t worry about the rules, Soke Madden runs a fair tournament for all disciplines and affiliations.” She also kept bringing up how great he looks for his age and how amazing of a man he is)

Well, during my quest for rules for this tournament I had liked the AKJU page and had become facebook friends with the crazy lady. Well, apparently the “AKJU National Championship” is a qualifier for the Ireland Cup which was explained to me as being the “premier event” and a de facto world championship with over 400 international competitors who are the “best of the best”. Well, pictures came in from the event and it’s held in a high school gym. I can’t express to you how pissed I’d be if I showed up to compete and it was in a high school gym.

This man has written two books on JuJitsu and Martial Arts, he has multiple schools in the Ohio/WV/Kentucky Area who are run by students that he is promoting to black belt. I’m unable to find anything in regards to his lineage on his website and my requests to his Facebook have gone unanswered. I just decided he was another fraud and let it go and felt bad for the people he was ripping off but then I saw him mentioned in another thread (WV Fighting Systems) and searched to see if he had an investigation of his own; I was unable to find anything (my apologies if I missed it, the search feature was a little buggy for me) and decided to post one to see if anyone would be willing to help out with it as your team here has much more experience than I would when it comes to exposing frauds.

I think all of AKJU is built on a lie, and that Don Madden might be one of the biggest frauds in Martial Arts history.

I'm unable to post the link to bis biography, but here is a list of his accomplishments from his website; you can also google search AKJU and he'll pop up
    Founder and Chairman of All AMERICAN KARATE DO UNION, comprised of over 200 clubs across the United States and internationally.
    Founder and Chairman of AKJU TEAM AMERICA which takes competitors in Karate & Ju-jitsu to International competitions.
    National Chairman of Ju-Jitsu for the Amateur Athletic Union. Past
    Lifetime member of A.A.U. and U.S.A.K.F.
    Coached Ju-Jitsu 1994 Goodwill Games in Russia for International Cultural Exchange
    Choreographed the 1994 Goodwill Games Closing Ceremonies Exhibition for karate & Ju-Jitsu in Kiev Stadium with capacity crowd of 85.000 and world-wide television coverage
    Founder of the Irish Cup Karate & Ju-Jitsu - Dublin, Ireland 1997
    Head Coach, U.S.A. Karate & Ju-Jitsu 1981-1996
    First team manager for the U.S.A. Karate Team, November 1980
    Chief of Coaching Staff. U.S.A. Karate, 1990
    Coach for the first U.S.A. Ju-Jitsu team to compete in first ever Ju-Jitsu World Cup, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1993
    Elected 1st Chairman of the W.U.K.O. Technical Congress Cairo Egypt. 1988
    Chief representative of the Pan-American to the W.U.K.O. (Wortd Union Karate Organization).

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbWhiteBelt View Post
    Ok, so I've known about this man for a little over a year now, and I've been suspicious since I first looked at his website and saw all of his claims (listed below) I chalked it up to Japanese JuJitsu as opposed to BJJ and decided not to worry about it and was looking forward to trying one of the AKJU tournaments because they are only about an hour away from me, super cheap, and I have a friend that was going to be competing. Long story short, I decided not to compete after reading the rules (which took me forever to find, I even contacted them on Facebook and the woman who runs Don Madden’s AKJU Facebook and she acted as if I was crazy for asking about rules before signing up. She kept telling me that “Don’t worry about the rules, Soke Madden runs a fair tournament for all disciplines and affiliations.” She also kept bringing up how great he looks for his age and how amazing of a man he is)

Well, during my quest for rules for this tournament I had liked the AKJU page and had become facebook friends with the crazy lady. Well, apparently the “AKJU National Championship” is a qualifier for the Ireland Cup which was explained to me as being the “premier event” and a de facto world championship with over 400 international competitors who are the “best of the best”. Well, pictures came in from the event and it’s held in a high school gym. I can’t express to you how pissed I’d be if I showed up to compete and it was in a high school gym.

This man has written two books on JuJitsu and Martial Arts, he has multiple schools in the Ohio/WV/Kentucky Area who are run by students that he is promoting to black belt. I’m unable to find anything in regards to his lineage on his website and my requests to his Facebook have gone unanswered. I just decided he was another fraud and let it go and felt bad for the people he was ripping off but then I saw him mentioned in another thread (WV Fighting Systems) and searched to see if he had an investigation of his own; I was unable to find anything (my apologies if I missed it, the search feature was a little buggy for me) and decided to post one to see if anyone would be willing to help out with it as your team here has much more experience than I would when it comes to exposing frauds.

I think all of AKJU is built on a lie, and that Don Madden might be one of the biggest frauds in Martial Arts history.

I'm unable to post the link to bis biography, but here is a list of his accomplishments from his website; you can also google search AKJU and he'll pop up
    First, you should not base a determination of a martial art on where they hold their events. It just so happens that academic gymnasiums are well-suited to seating crowds interested in watching sporting events.

Second, based on the spelling alone, I would have to agree that this is JJJ, not BJJ.

Third, this is YOUR investigation. If you feel froggy, and want to vet this guy, the onus is yours. Once you have a reasoned premise for deciding somebody is a fraud, others may be eager to help you. You have to do the initial work, however. Jumping online with your first post claiming somebody is a fraud, with no proof, or even no real claim, is a sure way to marginalize your position into oblivion.