Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido.org Rough Draft: Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu

On October 11th, 2015 BJJEE.com was contacted regarding 2 teenage sisters Emma and Maycee Barber running Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu in Colorado. The Barber sisters caught the attention of the international Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community as pictures surfaced on them wearing their Gracie Academy Gis and instructing grappling classes wearing Black Belts with identical markings to the belts worn by BJJ Black Belts (Black Belt, Red Rank Bar, White Stripes). However, they were confirmed by Gracie Academy to hold a Blue Belt via the Gracie Academy’s Online Certification system GJJ University. Their Black Belts were in Kajukenbo awarded by Seth Sykes. By wearing a Gi from a known Brazilian Jiu Jitsu academy and the unique Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt style, they were misrepresenting their rank and skill in Brazilian/Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gracie11-376x668.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	16940

Name:	17yearsold.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	16941

Now this article will focus their ranking and affiliation with the Gracie Academy via Gracie University. However, it should be noted that their Kajukenbo Black Belts are also suspect. The Barber sister were awarded their Black Belts by Seth Sykes, whose lineage is Seth Sykes > Robert Austin > Ron Carlson > Ron Pierce > Adriano Emperado. Seth Sykes never got past his First Degree Black Belt, making the Barber sister’s Second Degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo illegitimate. [Thanks to KempoFist for this part of the investigation]

On October 13, 2015, Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu issued the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Barber
    My name is Emma Barber and I am a certified Gracie Jiu Jitsu instructor and owner (along with my parents and my sister Maycee) of Gracie Jiu Jitsu Fort Collins. In the past week we have been accused of wearing black belts while teaching GJJ and trying to deceive people into thinking that we are GJJ black belts. We are not. We are, in fact, GJJ University verified blue belt stripe 2’s and we wear them with pride. Anyone who has gone through the GU curriculum can vouch for the fact that a BBS2 is a legitimate blue belt.
    For all of the people concerned with the fact that we are faking our rank, let me assure you, we have never done that. Every single student in our school will say the same thing. We have never worn a black belt to teach Gracie Jiu Jitsu. In a community so seemingly concerned with maintaining the integrity of the art of Jiu Jitsu there are so many people without any integrity or respect at all. Before you pass judgement on someone, why don’t you go see what is really happening for yourself first? Instead, all we have are a bunch of keyboard warriors hiding behind their screens and gossiping about things that aren’t at all true. Please, before deciding that you hate us and that we are lying to the public, come check us out.
    Regarding the picture of Maycee on the ball in her black belt, yes we admit it was a mistake to take that picture in front of the Gracie Triangle. We had no intentions of deceiving anyone. We are sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding that occurred from that photo. As Rener said in the podcast, it was a poor choice in location for the picture and we apologize. However, assuming that we teach GJJ in our black belts based on that picture is ridiculous. Every other picture of us in our black belts was taken during a mixed martial arts class teaching a curriculum that is unique to our school. If you are curious about what this curriculum looks like, check out our Facebook page, there are lots of cool videos.
    Lastly, regarding the red bars on our black belts, that is the belt that our system uses to set apart instructor black belts from other black belts. In case anyone is wondering, there is no regulation on belt systems. No one is the “authority” in what system uses what belt. It is up to the school to decide what belts they choose to wear. We earned our black belts for this system. They were not just given to us. Again, look at the videos on our Facebook page. Our skills speak for themselves.
    So, please, before judging our character, skill, rank, and school as fraud, come check us out. No smoke and mirrors, just awesome Jiu Jitsu is what you will find. Thanks to everyone who has supported us through these last few days, all the students and friends who have posted in support of us, we truly appreciate it. Thanks to Rener and Ryron Gracie, for not only giving us this amazing opportunity to teach but for also standing behind us.
    At this point, this story seems to be over. There are confirmed Blue Belts and as long as they did not mis-represent their suspect Kajukenbo Black Belts as BJJ Black Belts, there shouldn’t be any further issues.

Unfortunately, 3 days later on October 16th, videos and pictures surfaced on the sisters instructing a child in a standard BJJ armbar while wearing her Gracie Academy Gi and BJJ style Black Belt.

Name:	12065560_10101703794319402_2576061698937913154_n.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	16942

Name:  karatebjj-210x210.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  9.4 KB

It was at this point that Gracie Academy, who had and still supports the sisters, asked them to change their Black Belts to the traditional Kajukenbo style as not to mislead people.

Name:	12033236_10101703794449142_5304220702645801563_n.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	16944

Again, this should of been the end of the story. However, instead of taking responsibility for misleading the public about their status in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community, they put the blame on local Royce Gracie Black Belt Adam Martinez and his academy Infinite Martial Arts as well as the larger BJJ community. Additionally, the academy, started issuing changes for submission-only matches and offers to experience what they teach in their Master Cycle Class. Many of these posts have been deleted from their social media account but are screenshoted below:
    Last edited by plasma; 10/30/2015 11:46am at .

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name:  11219591_10101703794139762_6969557531149002267_n.jpg
Views: 2209
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  12143345_10101703794109822_6810814154803878666_n.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:	12109274_10101703794359322_1407702812181454863_n.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	16947

On October 24th, 2015 TheUnderGround Forum Member and BJJ Brown Belt EvilGumby paid a visit to their morning Master Cycle Class, as per their Social Media Invitation:

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gumby
    8:45. Here I am. Waiting for them to open up for their Master Cycle 9am.

5 minutes till class scheduled to start and doors are still locked, parking lot still empty. No masters so no Master Cycle class?

They refused to allow me on their mats. When I was willing to take them up on their offered class, they kept backtracking until I was not even allowed on the mat.

Introduced myself, shook hands and was polite. They told me leave or they would call the cops. Refused to let me train or roll. Refused video and threatened to call police if I turned my camera on. Not very welcoming to say then least.They also kept calling me a keyboard warrior despite me showing up go and belt in hand and offering to step onto the mat to show otherwise.

Name:	5959771743059968.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	16948

Later that day, Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu posted a video of the sisters working out because “No One showed up that day.” When asked about EvilGumby, they repetitively deleted the posts from their account.

Name:	12046695_10101703794049942_301390065290445456_n.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	16949

Name:	5004353717927936.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	16950

Finally, it should be mentioned that Maycee Barber has been successful competing at the local level. Earning Gold and Silver in Women's and Teen Gi and No-Gi Divisions at the Blue-Purple Belt Level. She's obviously a solid teen girl blue belt.

Conclusion: Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu is an official training Center for the Gracie Academy, run by 2 teenage girls with minimal training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Additionally, whomever runs the Social Media Account for the Academy seems quick to issue threats and challenges to the BJJ community but will quick retract once confronted.

Additionally, the entire marketing of their academy is based around the Gracie Jiu Jitsu angle down to the name of their academy. This is despite only holding a Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. When questioned about why they're teaching grappling in their BJJ style Black Belts the sisters respond that it is part of their Kajukenbo System. Even if this is true, the videos and techniques look identical to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and with the BJJ style Black Belts they are misleading at best and fraudulent at worst.
    Last edited by plasma; 11/05/2015 9:49am at .

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great writeup but I don't think the part I bolded should be capitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by <plasma> View Post
    On October 11th, 2015 BJJEE.com was contacted regarding 2 teenage sisters Emma and Maycee Barber running Fort Collins Gracie Jiu Jitsu in Colorado. The Barber sisters caught the attention of the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should be noted they received their Kajukenbo belts and bought the school from a convicted child abuser/sexual predator who is no longer allowed to have contact with children after molesting/attacking a teenage student of the school when he owned it.
    It shows the moral fiber of the people they associated with and how they shouldn't want to represent the made up belt system of someone who sexualy assaults teenage girls.
    http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...ault/28600653/
    Kind of like how everyone that wasn't a scumbag left Lloyd Irvin after they found out he was an incompetent rapist.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 10/30/2015 7:52am at .

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Sykes was the owner of the school.

In this news site it says Bucky Barber was the owner (November 2014) when Sykes was arrested.
    Located on the fringes of the city near a Boys & Girls Clubs of Larimer County support facility, the south Fort Collins business has already taken measures to distance itself from Sykes. In addition to renaming it the Fort Collins Martial Arts Academy, owner Bucky Barber said said Sykes has no holding or ties to the business in wake of the allegations.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...-say/19049307/
    Also, in this other site, there is a 2011 review of the place:

There is no honor in this schoolby needhonor on 12/13/2011
    A real martial arts school has honor. This one has none. Sure, go ahead and watch a class like I did. Try a class too. You might be impressed. The main instructor Seth Sykes has some amazing ability. But then you join and Bucky Barber the owner turns out to be hard to deal with and dishonest. He is completely disagreeble on money issues and wants to charge extra for everything. Mr Sikes is all over the place changing the system. Then you find he made it up himself. And you start to see his nasty side too. He likes to bully and hurt people. I canot have my kids in this school because he is mean. He plays and has fun with the kids but then you see he teaches them to be nasty fighters, not martial artists with honor. I urge others not to get involved with this negative school.
    http://www.yellowbook.com/profile/sy...855389023.html
    Last edited by DCS; 10/30/2015 8:02am at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

In this news site it says Bucky Barber was the owner (November 2014) when Sykes was arrested.

I guess I read that wrong. I read it as they bought it after the abuse. Thanks for keeping me straight dcs.

It's still worth mentioning about the sexual assault. It makes his made up nonsense a lineage that's not worth wanting to be a part of.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 10/30/2015 8:45am at .

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

that info really backs up the theory that the father has been the issue all along. i wonder what his martial arts background is.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    that info really backs up the theory that the father has been the issue all along. i wonder what his martial arts background is.
    Red belt in punk-bitchsu

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I guess I read that wrong. I read it as they bought it after the abuse. Thanks for keeping me straight dcs.

It's still worth mentioning about the sexual assault. It makes his made up nonsense a lineage that's not worth wanting to be a part of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    It should be noted they received their Kajukenbo belts and bought the school from a convicted child abuser/sexual predator who is no longer allowed to have contact with children after molesting/attacking a teenage student of the school when he owned it.
    It shows the moral fiber of the people they associated with and how they shouldn't want to represent the made up belt system of someone who sexualy assaults teenage girls.
    http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...ault/28600653/
    Kind of like how everyone that wasn't a scumbag left Lloyd Irvin after they found out he was an incompetent rapist.
    Hyperbolic and unnecessary for the article. It has no bearing on the girls or their father's actions during this debacle. It's called poisoning the well.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Hyperbolic and unnecessary for the article. It has no bearing on the girls or their father's actions during this debacle. It's called poisoning the well.
    That makes sense.
    I still feel it takes away motive for having an unknown to the masses style of karate with a proud lineage that uses the red patch ranking bar.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last