Sponsored Links Spacer Image

poser

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 3:40pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Except that the instructors of __dio __ick dont know this, they teach people to fully extend. __ing __un causes the same type of injuries to the elbows, with its endless air punching. For those that are doing this during kicking: Miniscus surgery anyone?
    TKD ruined my knees that way. I'm only 16 and I have to pay super-special attention to my knees when I warm up because they start to hurt a little when you put significant pressure on them (biking, squatting, even walking down stairs).

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 7:53pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    TKD ruined my knees that way. I'm only 16 and I have to pay super-special attention to my knees when I warm up because they start to hurt a little when you put significant pressure on them (biking, squatting, even walking down stairs).
    Knee replacements by 35.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 8:22pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a KB advice site years ago, they said never extend more than 85%. For the obvious joint risks you guys mentioned. Also they said if you want to hit with your body weight its not possible in the last 15% of reach. Eg. try holding out a weight, if your arm is in closer you tend to use bigger muscles and have more power, out further less muscle mass is able to be used.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 10:42pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** man... you and me both. I can't do anything without noticing pressure in my knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:26pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent
    Holy **** man... you and me both. I can't do anything without noticing pressure in my knees.
    When doing anything sport and/or athletic (martial arts are a given) you have heard of this wonderful invention called knee pads right? Tust me, they are a God send.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:49pm

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dido, it was those damn autobonds [sp]. I couldn't walk right for months, BUt, shoot, I got lucky when I was required to be on a roadbike for 30min a day (15 in the morn & 15 in the eve) for about 11 weeks (easy street terrain). The pain went away. But stupidly, I decided to practice air autobonds last week and my knee hurts again. It desnt feel as bad anymore. I have to ride ten mins to get to campus several times aday tho.
    Supposedly swimming lots will help too.

Im assuming i haven;t said anything knew.

Posted On:
    9/23/2007 1:07pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    From what I've read and heard from doctors, it's similar to TaeBo in that because you are just kicking the air and nothing solid you are putting strain on your joints. It's one thing to shadow box for five to maybe 15 minutes for a warm up but to do it for an hour plus would probably pose a health risk.
    Oh. The only fitness kickboxing classes I had ever seen were exclusively pad/bag work. I can see how doing it on empty air could be detrimental.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12