Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:00pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taken from:
    http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/evolve/menwont.html

The Fighting Hypothesis

I noticed that at my local jive club, all the best male dancers did or had done martial arts. Patrick Swayze, the heart-throb star of the ultimate chick-flick Dirty Dancing is a karate black belt. Bruce Lee, hailed by many as the finest martial artist ever, was Hong Kong’s Cha-cha champion. There seems to be a link between male dancing and male fighting ability.

To dance well, one needs good health, poise, co-ordination, stamina, strength, athleticism, rhythm, balance, suppleness, speed, an ability to predict and react to the movements of others (especially for partnered dancing), and style. Interestingly enough, all these things are also what make a good fighter. Yes, even style is useful, for it intimidates opponents.

If a woman were to see a man dance, then she would have a good idea of how naturally talented at fighting he might be. One might argue that a better thing to do would be to watch the man fight. However, what opportunities might a woman ever have of seeing a man fight? Very few. She does not want to provoke him into fighting her, for that is bad for her health, and she doesn’t want to provoke him into fighting another man, because he might get injured, and she wouldn’t make herself popular. Furthermore, I suggest that the ideal man a woman would want for a husband, is a man who can fight very well, but who doesn’t fight. A man who can fight and does is a bully who is likely to end up getting jumped on by several other guys one day, and to wind up dead in a ditch. A man who cannot fight well is less able to protect his wife and children. Ideally, a woman wants a man who could, if the need arose, defend her and her children effectively, but who would not seek out fights without cause.

How then, can a woman find such a man? If he fights only in defence of his wife and children, then until he has these, he will never fight, and she will never see him fight. She could encourage him to dance. If she sees him dance, then she is able to judge his talent for fighting, and no one gets hurt. Some cultures have dances which are a lot like fights. Often a tribal dance re-enacts a mythological fight between some Great Spirit and a tribal ancestor. In Brazil, the art of Capoeira was developed, which was both simultaneously a dance and a martial art. Dances are public events. At one dance, all the women in the tribe could see how talented the men are at dancing, and thus judge their fighting ability. The only opportunity to see every man’s fighting ability directly would involve mass bloodshed, and would give a very inaccurate answer. Some men would be difficult to see in the fray, and some good fighters would be defeated by superior numbers or bad luck.

Dancing is a woman’s way of asking “How good are you at fighting?”

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats a good article...

A friend of mine must be an exception to the rule. Hes a very good dancer- but does TKD ;)
    But to be honest, i like dancing with guys because i like dancing- and i like guys, and the two together is fun!!

Incedentally i hate Patrick Swayze and I couldn't sit through Dirty Dancing...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! I defeated a banning!

Now, onto more serious things, since "mandancing" is a serious topic.

There are thousands of cultural points which dancing is used to express feelings of utter joy and happiness. LARPing dancing by its very definition is impossible. It is very much like Larping at Larping which is Larping at Larping which is .........

intent is what is important. intent to dance, or to LARP or to fight.

There are so many different contexts that define our actions as well..... do we define it via ourselves, our interactions or let other define? Dancing to one person may be wushu hardcore forms to another. A TKD sparring match may be a LARP to one person, but to a person who is following the rule set as a basis to fight, it is just that. the judgment every person must make for themselves is where these divides are, where dance ends, where fighting begins, and how much of a LARPer someone is.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, 1) Thought you got a 24 hour- how the hell are you back??

2) Is what you just said is 'personal opinions change how we view things'? Because, if so- Duh...

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:18pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I unbanned PI because it was only intended as a slap on the wrist and I haven't implemented bans-by-the-hour yet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali/Box/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey!
    Tango was mandancing in the beginning and now you can use it to get hot women!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia
    OK, 1) Thought you got a 24 hour- how the hell are you back??

2) Is what you just said is 'personal opinions change how we view things'? Because, if so- Duh...

1) Obviously, I run things around here.

2) Yes and no. We very easily categorize things here on Bullshido. Instead of arguing what something is, ask yourself "Does it meet my needs?". If any of those needs lead to what you consider "physical confrontation" in the future, make sure you train alive and hard. This is the first rule of not being a bullshit style. Personally, I feel that anything that is done with a sense of mindfulness of its application is a positive training experience.

If you look at your list of needs, and the strategy does NOT include hitting or being hit in any context whatsoever, then dance, LARP, jump, hop, skip off into the sun set doing whatever the hell you want.

In the end, it is your choice in what you call it, but it is my choice to judge what you "SHOULD" do in order to prepare for it if it includes what I consider "fighting".

edit-
    plus, Phrost needs a Tango partner in order to prepare for his fight with that insane trool I have been trolling in YMAS

So yeah, I made what you said about 10x more complicated.
    Last edited by polishillusion; 9/17/2007 10:27pm at .

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, i see...

On Topic however, this is really something thats going to only affect guys isn't it?- seeing as i'm guessing its an insult to thier manliness. But then again i know a couple of defence force guys who happen to be awesome dancers- but still very manly. (Mmmm)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your term lacks chutzpah because there are manly dancers, especially ones that swagger (posturing) about the floor with a woman wrapped around them. In fact, the women dancing with them are usually responsible for this (more posturing).

Most guys don't talk about it, but if a man is a good dancer, he will usually have no problems getting laid.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, mandancing doesn't have clear negative connotations. the structure of the word precludes it.

further, the majority of the forum has at some point or another expressed a desire to join a capoeira class.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast