Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 12:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    No argument there. I didn't know Jackie thought he *could* fight.
    Yes, he did I'll try to find you some articles.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:52pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    No argument there. I didn't know Jackie thought he *could* fight.
    Reminds me of a news article some years ago where a Jackie Chan fan jumped out of a crowd and punched Jackie right in the face. When asked why he did it he said, " I thought he'd block it"

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that story.

There are a bunch of weird stories about people not separating fact from fiction.

Gordon Liu came to America and said this huge Black guy came up to him at a function. He was worried until he knelt down and said will you teach me master.

Gordon admits kung fu was a hobby. He wasn't even serious until the movie genre jumped off.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 11:58am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, but that doesn't make them a Hapkido trained Martial artist. That's what Jackie did. You know he wanted to fight Benny the Jet?

It was kind of like Keanu Reeves thinking he could fight. What you add in the movie lot isn't fighting.
    My understanding is that Sammo Hung showed him some films of Benny fighting, so Jackie decided to just threaten Benny with firing if he didn't cool it. I've always admired Benny the Jet, but i understand he is very rough around the edges. I also remember reading that Bruce Lee roughed up Whang in Sik on Way of the Dragon, as Sik was known as a bit of a bully, and looked down on the the other stuntmen. Don't know if it's true, as Bruce Lee was kind of a dick himself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    My understanding is that Sammo Hung showed him some films of Benny fighting, so Jackie decided to just threaten Benny with firing if he didn't cool it. I've always admired Benny the Jet, but i understand he is very rough around the edges. I also remember reading that Bruce Lee roughed up Whang in Sik on Way of the Dragon, as Sik was known as a bit of a bully, and looked down on the the other stuntmen. Don't know if it's true, as Bruce Lee was kind of a dick himself.
    I'll find the articles I'm still looking. The first half is what I heard after they were going to do a charity match. Sammo or someone showed him some fight footage and Jackie backed down.

I also read Benny was going to hard because he didn't know anything different.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:15pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I'll find the articles I'm still looking. The first half is what I heard after they were going to do a charity match. Sammo or someone showed him some fight footage and Jackie backed down.

I also read Benny was going to hard because he didn't know anything different.
    I find that a little hard to believe, as Benny had years as a point fighter, though he did excel at full contact. I also remember that the Hapkido guy that taught Jackie, etc, was Grand Master Jae Hoon Ji, the guy form Game of Death, who was Whang In Sik's instructor. Sammo took his guys up to Korea when they made "Hap Ki Do/Lady Kung Fu" and they all learned the kicks, while Carter Wong was interested in Hand techniques, for the most part. Jae was pretty gracious about the time, saying that Jackie and company basically knew most of the kicks already from northern shao lin, and that he only had to teach them to rotate their supporting leg to get the follow through. I threw away all those old IKF magazines when I started reading the stuff here, perhaps I should have saved them, but they were starting to smell funky from mold.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 3:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay here is what I found. I looked back and didn't put "supposed" when I responded to eyebeams.

Like I said this is what I heard I'm not trying to say it is 100% fact.
    I know how you get.:)

http://www.amazon.ca/Wheels-Meals-Sa...cts/6305234922

Benny Urquidez, a kickboxer with a 58-0 record, was nearly fired for hitting his opponents too hard while filming.
    http://www.skepticalpd.com/blog/fight-outside-the-box
    The fight looked very realistic and it was said that Benny almost got fired from the set a few times because he was hitting Jackie for real.
    http://www.brns.com/hkactors/pages/page3.html
    From what I have read, there was no love lost between him and Jackie as Jackie thought Benny was not pulling his punches enough. At one point it looked as if there would be a real live challenge between the two of them before Jackie's friends wisely advised him to back off.
    I know I know everything is fast and loose. "what I read" blah blah blah. Just showing you what I've encountered on the web and in books.

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Zen-Bullet...287120-1994854
    http://www.amazon.com/Hong-Kong-Acti.../dp/0879516631
    Here are two of the books I think I read it in. If I can find them I'll get the page numbers.

http://www.jackiechankids.com/files/Favorite_Fights.htm
    This was my first face-off with American champion kickboxer Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. He's a great fighter--good enough that he tested my skills to the limit. In fact, throughout the filming of this scene, I teased him that we should fight a real match, not just a movie brawl. "Come on, Benny, let's do it," I'd say. And he'd say, "Any time, Jackie, any time." Well, the time was always "sometime soon," and by the time the film was finished, he finally caught on that I was just joking. To be honest, I don't know who would have won if we did fight. He's that good.
    This is what I mean by Jackie saying he can fight.

http://www.cityonfire.com/features/vitali/

KV: Actually Benny and Jackie got along wonderfully. On one particular day, they got overheated during one of their many takes and Jackie expressed perhaps coming to America one day to fight Benny. That's about all that happened. We were all eating together later that night laughing.

See this is what I remember with a different twist in the 90's. That there was more animosity and Sammo showed him Benny's fight clips and he changed his mind.

Now this has all been twisted and spun so who knows.

Not much different from what you said just making either person the bad guy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12