Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 6:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    No offense, but considering China's record in combat, pre-revolutionary China, that is, I'm not so impressed by the tactics developed in the Ch'ing Dynasty. Sanda is great, and the country has come a long way from where it was, but read some texts about martial arts and the bodyguards that used them, and you will find that they carried GUNS. They were practical. If there was a better way, they would have used it, but the culture held onto tradition and beliefs that kept in hostage and made it a vicitm of the rest of the industrialized world. Seriously, arts like Hung Gar were developed by the same guys that brought you the Boxer Rebellion. Half the fights in HK movies use TKD, not "kung fu". It's time to move on and cross train in what is effective. You want a good car- you don't go and fix a model T, you get a Toyota or something new. Now, if you want to do "Hung Gar/Ga for health benefits, or as an invigorating routine, that's cool. Most people aren't really going to use the fighting all that much anyway.
    Quit trolling.

Don't make me whip out the kung fu knowledge out on you. Half the old school bad guys did TKD. Most of the stars didn't. I'd say it was closer to 80/20.

Minus the low budget Godfrey Ho movies.

Newer movies I'll agree are full of Dancers and TKDers.

Ironic since modern wushu is dancing IMO.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:12pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Quit trolling.

Don't make me whip out the kung fu knowledge out on you. Half the old school bad guys did TKD. Most of the stars didn't. I'd say it was closer to 80/20.

Minus the low budget Godfrey Ho movies.

Newer movies I'll agree are full of Dancers and TKDers.

Ironic since modern wushu is dancing IMO.
    You must admit. most of the guys, post 1980, are doing TKD kicks and some kickboxing. Even Jet Li had a stand in for Once Upon a Time in China for his more complicated kicking scenes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must admit. most of the guys, post 1980, are doing TKD kicks and some kickboxing. Even Jet Li had a stand in for Once Upon a Time in China for his more complicated kicking scenes.
    I'd agree from about 85 on.

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 12:02pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently there's a semi-standardized stunt "style" that's based on flashy kickboxing, but lately it also includes choreographed subs, too. Jackie Chan's talked about it in a few interviews. Back when he did Drunken Master 2 people were skeptical that the public had much interest in kung fu style choreography from him.

BTW, Chan trained in Hapkido to enhance his modern movie fighting.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 12:30pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jackie Chan's early training was in Peking Opera, which is why his movies feature a lot of acrobatics.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Jackie Chan's early training was in Peking Opera, which is why his movies feature a lot of acrobatics.
    That's true. But he also trained with Hwang In-Shek for more "modern"-looking movie fighting, like the kid of thing you see in the Police Story series. They appeared together in Young Master, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHiKzj_8R7U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwang_In-Shik

. . . has some details about their work together and Hwang's work in HK films.
    Last edited by eyebeams; 9/15/2007 2:56pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 6:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right but, that was added later. I mean many of the CMAers in movies added Korean arts after the fact.

What people fail to understand is it was similar to the Matrix. They filmed and trained with these guys in a bastardized version.

Something many of the don't admit anymore.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. You realize you are repeating what I'm saying? These movies didn't have the 8 month filming time like now. These movies wrapped in under a month or two. That is why they over saturated the market. So 2 month hapkido here another movie with 2 different directors. 2 months again with said guy. Rinse repeat. If you or I claimed this type of training we'd be laughed off the board.

Oh, he actually took that from Sammo Hung. Samo actually would train 6-8months in a style before he actually started filming. Jackie didn't start saying that until later.

Yes, I'm a nerd. Yes, Sammo is one of the few who actually fought in the streets.
    I wasn't arguing. I honestly didn't know that there was any taboo about talking about it. Two months for an experienced stuntman to learn how add good-looking moves to choreography seems reasonable, after all.

I wonder if they do that kind of thing with the faux MMA that's in newer movies.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 12:38pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I wasn't arguing. I honestly didn't know that there was any taboo about talking about it. Two months for an experienced stuntman to learn how add good-looking moves to choreography seems reasonable, after all.

I wonder if they do that kind of thing with the faux MMA that's in newer movies.
    Yes, but that doesn't make them a Hapkido trained Martial artist. That's what Jackie did. You know he wanted to fight Benny the Jet?

It was kind of like Keanu Reeves thinking he could fight. What you add in the movie lot isn't fighting.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but that doesn't make them a Hapkido trained Martial artist. That's what Jackie did. You know he wanted to fight Benny the Jet?

It was kind of like Keanu Reeves thinking he could fight. What you add in the movie lot isn't fighting.
    No argument there. I didn't know Jackie thought he *could* fight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast