Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 3:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Escrima Sticks and the JO

what is the difference between the Escrima and the jo or staff? What is the best material(wood) to buy if one is sparring?

thanks.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello fire, welcome to Bullshido.
    I'd say the main difference is, Escrima is the name of a martial art, whereas jo or staff is the name of a weapon.

What you probably wanted to compare was the bamboo/rattan stick people training Escrima use vs. the "jo" people training different Asian arts use.

Try to google your answers or search here for Escrima related topics. We have several members who train escrima and/or other weapon based MA systems who could help you out if you'd get more specific.

Good luck.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 4:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So eskrima is a style regarding the use of sticks? I got from WIkipedia.
    WHat i would like to know what exactly is a jo i know its woood. what makes it a Jo the length? Can i go and order a short Bo and it be the same as a JO. Is the JO made from the same design? I would like to buy a JO but i do not know anything about it other than it is a smaller version of the Bo? Anyone can recomend a place to buy one? Or at least tell me martial arts supplies web sites to stay away from?:help:

Thanks for the help Tonuzaba

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could probably save yourself a ton of money and practice with a peice of wood dowel from home depot. i think a jo staff is supposed to be about 4 and 1/2 feet or so, i'm not sure of the exact dimension. plazma would be able to tell you for sure.

oh and i found this:

http://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com/jo.html

google is your friend.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 4:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire123
    So eskrima is a style regarding the use of sticks? I got from WIkipedia.
    WHat i would like to know what exactly is a jo i know its woood. what makes it a Jo the length? Can i go and order a short Bo and it be the same as a JO. Is the JO made from the same design? I would like to buy a JO but i do not know anything about it other than it is a smaller version of the Bo? Anyone can recomend a place to buy one? Or at least tell me martial arts supplies web sites to stay away from?:help:

Thanks for the help Tonuzaba
    No problem, fire123.
    Now, one thing I'd like to ask you with regards to your Bullshido future: please proof-read your posts and look after your grammar a bit.

ConStanTlY cHanGiNg smAlL aNd Big leTteRs iS a paIn in ThE AsS tO rEad...

About the stick - I'd suggest you do a little reading, research some quality school near you and take a look at an actual training to know if you like it.

It's not the best idea to buy a weapon (even if it's made of wood) and start training by yourself. You are not a mountain dwelling budhist monk, I guess, so you could do what's best: ask the advice of a certified instructor.

Reading/asking around on Bullshido might help you with that. Use SEARCH function again.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judging by your question I'm assuming you are currently not learning either escrima or Jo stuff from an instructor. This should be your first goal, to find a good instructor.
    Aside from Escrima, look into Kali or Arnis. These three are fundamentally the same kind of fighting style, although they have their unique differences. For training, you're best served to find a cheap piece of wood and tape it up with electrical or hockey tape, so that they don't splinter into pieces.

Buying a Rattan stick would be more expensive than its worth, if you're just starting.

Two friends of mine bought some fire hardened Rattan sticks for Kali. It was pretty cool, when they trained with them they gave off the smell of fire. But only when they both used the Rattan sticks. If you trained with one Rattan, and one different stick, you didn't get the smell. Very cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They've covered the answers pretty well. I'd just like to add that rattan is popular for training sessions because its characteristics allow for a higher degree of shock absorbency. This can be a blessing if you're an advanced student undergoing a marathon training session.

As for the Jo & its woods, try visiting www.crane-mountain.com. They have good info on the subject.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 6:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a Jo, just get a broomstick. It's the same size etc (well, it was last time I looked). Much cheaper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 2:37am

Style: Sword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bonus of using a broomstick for a jo is the hairy bit on the end can be used for attacking the eyes.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 2:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not if the other person is trained in the real, secret and original Shoalin Iron eyelid technique...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

" - by Vorpal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast