232735 Bullies, 3735 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 7:37am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the soy is only for the smoothness as opposed to water, I eat enough meat and the protein powder is whey
  2. ironlurker is offline
    ironlurker's Avatar

    How do Chameleon Circuit?

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkham
    Posts
    586

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:19am


     Style: jkd

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Of course the best person to ask would be El Macho.
    I asked him and he said he knew nothing about your sperm count
  3. Fitz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 1:34pm


     Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Guys read this article called "Poison Protein".

    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459516
    Here is a great example for training your critical thinking skills.

    The article in question is based off of the work of Kaayla T. Daniel.

    According to her website Ms. Daniel holds a PhD in "Nutrition Sciences and Anti-Aging."

    Ms. Daniel's PhD is from Union Institute and University http://www.tui.edu/ for their site, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_I...e_&_University for the Wiki page.

    As you'll notice there is no "Nutrition Sciences and Anti-Aging" Department at the Union Institute and Univeristy. In fact there are no Departments at all for their PhD program. Rather it is an "Interdisciplinary" PhD program with no specialized faculty and no specialization for the degree.

    now Union Institute is an acredited university. It isn't a situation where you have a completely fly by night diploma mill churning out degrees with no work. But it is hardly a noteworthy school in the area of Nurtrition and Health not did it grant her a PhD in Nutrition Sciences, even if that was the topic of her dissertation.

    You'll also notice she is not a part of any faculty. She is not working as a Nurse, her other qualification, as per the info in her biography. Rather she is in the workshop and consulting business, fueled in no small part upon her anti-soy writings as well as other similar routines on other dietary practices such as how what your kids are eating is why they have ADHD or why drinking soda is the real cause of your osteoarthritis.

    Oddly she also runs a commercial website selling suppliments for people who are giving up soy products or otherwise following her advise.

    Ms.Daniel has not conducted any clinical trials.

    She lists no peer-reviewed journal articles in the realm of Nutrition.

    She has one book to her credit, The Whole Soy Story. This book is not published by any established publishing company on the realm of Health and Nutrition but rather through New Trends Publishing, Inc. http://www.newtrendspublishing.com/ This small press specializes in non-mainstream books on so-called "traditional diets" with roughly seven book titles and now a dvd set to their name.

    So, coming back to the critical thinking part of the exercise, is your linked article and Kaayla T. Daniel's work in general credible sources?
  4. ironlurker is offline
    ironlurker's Avatar

    How do Chameleon Circuit?

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkham
    Posts
    586

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 1:59pm


     Style: jkd

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post, Fitz. No + rep in the physical training forum, so I will raise my next soy shake to you.
  5. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 2:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ironlurker, where do you train? I never noticed you were in MA also.
  6. ironlurker is offline
    ironlurker's Avatar

    How do Chameleon Circuit?

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkham
    Posts
    586

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 2:22pm


     Style: jkd

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    ironlurker, where do you train? I never noticed you were in MA also.
    In a small school with a local guy which is having some financial issues that make me understand why McDojoism exists. You're at the SBG in Wareham and Phoenix Judo, right? I heard Phoenix does all ne-waza on Wednesdays, that sounds pretty cool.
  7. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 2:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. The main instructor is very cool. I haven't been for months due to a broken hand. But tuesdays is open rounds of tachi-waza and wednesday is open rounds of ne-waza. You show up and you go until you want to stop. Regular classes are monday and thursday and saturday is now like an open mat. $5 drop in/class. The ne-waza class is open to any school and the tachi-waza might be as well (haven't gone since they started)
  8. andrewa is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    558

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:17pm


     Style: Grappling/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    So, coming back to the critical thinking part of the exercise, is your linked article and Kaayla T. Daniel's work in general credible sources?
    My purpose is posting the link was simply to provide forums readers with something to read if they had concerns about soy. It was not necessarily an endorsement of the author. I do find it curious that while attacking the authors credibility you never once address any of her arguements against soy as a source of protein.

    Other articles on this matter can be found here:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459861
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461709
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460347
  9. BSDaemon is offline
    BSDaemon's Avatar

    Being Sublime Daily

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    2,024

    Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:52pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I had a vegetarian mother who fed me all kinds of soy up until around age 14 when I quit. Now looking back on my development I feel that I was somehow emasculated through those years when I was relying upon soy. Basically... I was a girly man, I had bitch tits, and I was a little ***** pacifist. I got of the soy and started eating real food but I ended up kind of a late bloomer. It wasn't until my early to mid twenties when I started to hit my prime, and that was when I learned about the estrogenic properties of the soy molecules. I feel as though soy had an influence on my development. My belief of this is reaffirmed by further evidence...

    My brother is three years older than me and continues to be a vegetarian. He is bigger than me and mostly the wrong kind of weight, he's borderline obese and never developed the kind of muscle mass or strength that I have. And even worse, he ended up being an aikidoka hippy, which in my mind sealed the iron clad scientific proof of the girlymanification efect that soy has upon the human male.

    Need more? After my departure from her, my vegetarian mother progressed her anti-flesh-fanaticism to the ultimate fanatical fundamentalist position of being a vegan. Woe falls unto all who try to accompany her on, or take her order for any kind of meal at a resturaunt. At one point I met her in Boulder colorado (where my father lives), for a family reunion of sorts. Which coincidentally coincided with a VEGAN CONVENTION and I got to bear witness to the kind of male speciman that is the Vegan Male (mac danzig nonwithstanding). Let me tell you, you could feel the estrogen flowing through the air, these lillylivered libidoless she-males appear to be starved of "Mojo"... They just didn't look healthy.

    So I am one of the people who buys into all the anti-soy propaganda. Everything I have experienced and witnessed seems to confirm it. No soy for me, thanks.
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,098

    Posted On:
    9/22/2007 12:09am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    So I had a vegetarian mother who fed me all kinds of soy up until around age 14 when I quit. Now looking back on my development I feel that I was somehow emasculated through those years when I was relying upon soy. Basically... I was a girly man, I had bitch tits, and I was a little ***** pacifist. I got of the soy and started eating real food but I ended up kind of a late bloomer. It wasn't until my early to mid twenties when I started to hit my prime, and that was when I learned about the estrogenic properties of the soy molecules. I feel as though soy had an influence on my development. My belief of this is reaffirmed by further evidence...

    My brother is three years older than me and continues to be a vegetarian. He is bigger than me and mostly the wrong kind of weight, he's borderline obese and never developed the kind of muscle mass or strength that I have. And even worse, he ended up being an aikidoka hippy, which in my mind sealed the iron clad scientific proof of the girlymanification efect that soy has upon the human male.

    Need more? After my departure from her, my vegetarian mother progressed her anti-flesh-fanaticism to the ultimate fanatical fundamentalist position of being a vegan. Woe falls unto all who try to accompany her on, or take her order for any kind of meal at a resturaunt. At one point I met her in Boulder colorado (where my father lives), for a family reunion of sorts. Which coincidentally coincided with a VEGAN CONVENTION and I got to bear witness to the kind of male speciman that is the Vegan Male (mac danzig nonwithstanding). Let me tell you, you could feel the estrogen flowing through the air, these lillylivered libidoless she-males appear to be starved of "Mojo"... They just didn't look healthy.

    So I am one of the people who buys into all the anti-soy propaganda. Everything I have experienced and witnessed seems to confirm it. No soy for me, thanks.
    You know, I want to take you to task for painting with a broad brush. Yet, I watched my entire Mcdojo go pussified after the Heads went Vegan. We went from bare knuckle medium contact 30-40 minutes on a daily basis, to 20% sparring and 2-3 rounds. In other words 10 minutes or less.

    Yes, we wised up and bought gear and spent medium to hard contact before they went Vegan.

    After we were a forms orginization with play fighting.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.