Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

L5 S1 Nerve Root Mobilization

L5 S1 nerve root mobilization. What the hell does that mean? How do???

A dude in youtube mentioned in one of my craptacular DL clips that my hamstrings were unusually inflexible (they are) and suggested I needed to do "never root mobilization of my L5 S1 nerve".

This is basically what he suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by freddyfastfingers@youtube
    your hamstring are some of the tightest ive ever seen even without muscle testing you, you need to do nerve root mobilizations for your L5 S1 nerve.
    It is true that my hamstrings are very tight. They have gotten so in the last couple of years (getting old maybe???) I have to stretch everyday, otherwise I can't reach my toes - I can get that stiff in a matter of days. Plus I have this general feeling of "tightness" where the lumbar and sacral vertebraes meet. Hard to describe.

I was going to ask that dude for additional info, plus know I'm having the time to actually search for material on the subject. However, I wanted to run this with you guys, just in case any of you have prior experience with this.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 4:06pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you're getting specific symptoms of sciatic pain in your legs (shooting pain, dull aches at night, pins and needles, numbness) I wouldn't necessarily bother.

A good test for nerve tightness or impingement is the slump test. Basically sit on the edge of a chair or bed and slump right forward, bringing your head down to the chest. Then extend one knee fully. Finally bring your foot and toes back towards you. Repeat for other leg. If you get a sharp, shooting pain down the back of your leg, try releasing the pressure on your nerves by bringing your head up. If that reduces the pain, you probably have some issues with the nerves.

Now, as to what's causing it, there could be quite a few different things. Anything from the thoracic spine downwards basically.

In the absence of a proper examination and diagnosis, you can try a good simple, safe trick; the piriformis stretch. The sciatic nerve is often caught up in the piriformis muscle in your butt. Occasionally you can get quick easy results by just stretching it. Here's a couple of options for that. Even if you don't have neural tension, these should help loosen up your hips and back.

And anyone who thinks they can dianose your symptoms accurately by watching a youtube video can probably be pretty safely ignored.
    Last edited by bob; 9/18/2007 4:47am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's what I figured (regarding the dude trying to give a diagnosis). I did the test you mentioned, and fortunately I don't feel anything other than the normal discomfort of stretching the hamstrings. So I guess I'm good on that :P

Nevertheless, I did a search on L5 S1 mobility exercises, and I found this article in t-nation:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....4-053-training

There's an exercise in that article that caught my attention, which I did last night:

Quadruped Hip Mobility

This is the most basic of all the hip mobility exercises. Assume an "all-4ís" position with the hands underneath the shoulders and the knees underneath the hips. Now we're going to do our best impression of your dog when it has to go pee.

Start off by flexing the hip (bringing the knee to the chest), and then lift it to the outside (abduction). Push back (extend) from this position, and then come back around to the starting position (adduction). Performing this mobility drill is often referred to as "doing fire hydrants" for obvious reasons.

Whenever I do that with my left leg, my hip makes this noticeable popping noise. We'll see.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 1:05pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with BornSceptic, and would add that you have to be careful when it comes to some mobility exercises and mobilizations. It's very easy to hyper-mobilize a joint beyond a range that it should go. Ideally, a physical therapist should supervise or instruct
    such stuff.

For example, Pavel's "shoulder dislocates" (holding a towel by the ends, bringing it over your head and down behind your back by rotating from the shoulders) affect the capsule of your shoulder joint, stressing it, and giving it more mobility but also- you guessed it- making you more prone to dislocations.

Depending on your personal and ethnic background, your joints can be hyper-mobile to begin with, and if they are you don't want to screw with them much more. Also, it can actually be bad to be mobile beyond a certain range if you are not able to exert strength in that range for your particular activity- Pavel does note in his stretching book that arm wrestlers shouldn't do excessive wrist stretching for this reason.