Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're fine for swings, which is the most important exercise in KB training. I don't like the way they balance on my wrist for snatches and cleans, they're actually too comfortable for me which may be a selling point for others. Also, the handle is too thin to provide that tough grip strength/endurance training, so I would wrap it in a hand towel.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, thanks for clarifying on the grip (since training my grip is what I'm most interested). One more question: I didn't see at the dragoondoor website any info on S/H. Is S/H included in the kettlebell's price?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you will be assraped for it. Go to ebay, they sell them there at a discount. You're a strong fucker so 44lbs will be a good starter for you.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy **** dude. I just checked ebay, and the difference is incredible. There are 44lbs kettlebells with a mere $19 S/H fee. The prices are just as competitive as the go-fits in Target. Sweet.

A 44-pounder it is then :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, check your PMs.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I love bumping old threads, woo!

Anyway. What weight should a reasonably strong guy start with? They have the 45 pound kettlebells at Dicks for $89 and that seems a reasonable price. They are out of stock on the 35 pounders and have the 25 pounds. Is 45 too heavy for me to start kettlebells?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    45 is actually pretty hefty, but usable. I'd go ahead and grab it. The 35 is a starting point for men who are totally unconditioned. The 25 is a ladies' weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the swing the first exercise I should learn?

I was planning on swings and cleans until i get a little acclimated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The clean is actually fairly hard to learn properly.

Start out with swings turkish get ups and one arm presses. Then you can graduate to clean & presses and snatches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The long handle does look pretty appealing. I got 5/10 from Canadian Tire but handles are short.
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d View Post
    $30 for 10lb, $40 for 15lb, $50 for 20lb....
    A little high in price
    Yeah that's nearly as much as DD charges... which is $42 for 10lb, $55 for 14lb, $66 for 18lb and $71 for 22lb
    http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-de...ells/?F_Sort=4

Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    The New York Barbell KBs are pretty good, just like everything else they make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Londos View Post
    I bought a set of 35s and 55s from here. Cheapest I could find. 1.50 a pound. The quality is good. Thick handles nice spacing. I trained with K bells in the late 70s and 80s to help with power lifting injuries. Now I use them for martial arts.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0350wh.html
    Wow, this really does seem like the best price I've seen on the web for kettlebells. From 10-55lbs it's actually a dollar per pound now. The price must have gone down since Londos quoted this.

The grey ones you get as a set even cheaper, $40 for 45lbs, $260 for 270lbs. A set of bigger greys $675 for 460lbs (making this out of blacks would cost... $592? Actually the greys aren't a good deal at all in this case...though greys say 'freight included' which could get pretty huge... yeah with US Postal which seems cheapest delivery that comes to $721.00 to the inclusion of shipping with greys ends up being cheaper).

Not to mention...

I've never seen any this heavy, they make the 106lb "beast" seem kind of like a joke. I kinda wonder how sturdy the handles are though.

Kettlestacks will get someone killed, eventually. Anything adjustable weight are bad news.
    While I agree for the kettlebells since the culture has people doing snatches with them, and maybe if people bench/overhead press with unsturdy adjustibles, they don't seem like bad news if they're those light weight ones people use to do lateral raises or curls or whatever. RVD has adjustibles :)

If you own Cardio Kettlebells then you're gay. If you bought them at Target then you're ghetto. And gay.
    Meh, I got my cardio kettlebells as a reminder to buy real ones some day. They're something you could easily give as a gift to a lady in the future when we are so muss we don't have a use for them.
    Last edited by tyciol; 6/08/2011 10:04am at .

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last