Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 3:05pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dragondoor is great, others are good, most are shite.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:40pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you be more specific- I'm wondering if mine is good (safe) or crap. Is there anyway to tell?
    which brands are unsafe? Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:41pm

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an iron ball with a handle. So long as the weight is accurate and it doesn't come apart when I try to use it, I don't see why any one brand would be different from the other.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 8:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a set of 35s and 55s from here. Cheapest I could find. 1.50 a pound. The quality is good. Thick handles nice spacing. I trained with K bells in the late 70s and 80s to help with power lifting injuries. Now I use them for martial arts.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0350wh.html

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienGunfighter
    It's an iron ball with a handle. So long as the weight is accurate and it doesn't come apart when I try to use it, I don't see why any one brand would be different from the other.
    If you're just doing mundane 3 x 10s like you do with barbells then you shouldn't give a ****. If you start going for high-rep snatches or clean & jerks, you will quickly notice the difference in dimension and balance.

The New York Barbell KBs are pretty good, just like everything else they make.

Ader Kettlebells are decent also.

Kettlestacks will get someone killed, eventually. Anything adjustable weight are bad news.

If you own Cardio Kettlebells then you're gay. If you bought them at Target then you're ghetto. And gay.
    Last edited by SFGOON; 11/02/2007 9:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 9:24am

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    If you're just doing mundane 3 x 10s like you do with barbells then you shouldn't give a ****. If you start going for high-rep snatches or clean & jerks, you will quickly notice the difference in dimension and balance.
    I wouldn't know the difference between the various brands. I train with a woman who knows how to to the various kettlebell exercises, but my experience with the kettlebell itself is limited to working with the M&M-looking brand we have in the studio and a kettlestack I got to try in a sporting goods store in California. The kettlestack seemed ok, but I only messed with it for about ten minutes.

Still, it's an iron ball with a handle. Beyond poor manufacture or obvious defects, it's like asking a person what kind of fork they prefer to use at dinner.
    Last edited by AlienGunfighter; 11/03/2007 9:29am at .

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, try using one with a fucked up finish, or one which finds that awkward spot right between your wrist and arm when you clean, snatch or press it. Based on your situation I'd guess you're doing kettlebells at about 30% of what they can provide intensity-wise. If I'm not mistaken the kind you're describing are less than 30 pounds. If they're fucked up, so what? They're covered in vinyl so you wont really pound your bones, and the handle could be a giant rattail file but it wouldn't rip your callouses.

If you choose to get into the more difficult forms of KB training, Russian style, you will become very nitpicky about the dimensions and finish of the device. The kettlbell itself may be crude, but the body mechanics required for it are extremely elegant. At 63 pounds, if something is even a little off you'll notice it.

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 12:16pm

Style: chaos

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Well, try using one with a fucked up finish, or one which finds that awkward spot right between your wrist and arm when you clean, snatch or press it. Based on your situation I'd guess you're doing kettlebells at about 30% of what they can provide intensity-wise. If I'm not mistaken the kind you're describing are less than 30 pounds. If they're fucked up, so what? They're covered in vinyl so you wont really pound your bones, and the handle could be a giant rattail file but it wouldn't rip your callouses.

If you choose to get into the more difficult forms of KB training, Russian style, you will become very nitpicky about the dimensions and finish of the device. The kettlbell itself may be crude, but the body mechanics required for it are extremely elegant. At 63 pounds, if something is even a little off you'll notice it.

Het goon were do you buy them.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got to order them online. I like dragondoor.com kettlebells, but lots of places sell them.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGOON, so I guess the go-fit brand is ****, specially for actual Russian-style training. However, in your opinion, is there a way to use one of these (specially one that's over 40lbs). I'm just trying to understand what value an owner could have out of them.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast