Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 8:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you run your kids classes THE LAST PART?

I have received a ton of information through out the net from the questions I have asked in regards to running kids bjj/grappling classes...So far I have compiled about 13 pages of information from others who have been very kind to help me out. I have one last set of questions that would be great of those same people or other can answer, then I think I will be well on my way to getting off on a good start.

-What do you charge for your kids grappling classes?

-Where do you get your kids giís from?

-If a student has not come to consecutive classed do you contact them to see why? What might you say?

-Do you offer any additional programs for the kids at times, such as summer programs, activity days, and so on?

-Is there a time of the year where you find that your kids classes arenít as busy?

-Any additional things that should be known or considered when running kids bjj/grappling classes? Any additional helpful tips?

Thanks again to all of those who have helped already and to those who help with these questions also.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 9:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heya! I would love to chat with you about this and share information - can you enable PMs? Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Heya! I would love to chat with you about this and share information - can you enable PMs? Thanks!
    I don't seem to have private messaging available right now...you can e-mail me at jascsuls At gmail DOT com if you want.
    Last edited by jasculs; 9/17/2007 11:33am at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    I don't seem to have private messaging available right now...you can e-mail me at jasculs@gmail.com if you want.
    Damnit, I hate that n00b can't PM crap. BJJ Purple belt should get automatic privileges. I guess I'll be sending you an email also.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:10am

Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys - I really recommend you become a supporting member - it is $20 for the year, you get to PM, and you get access to non-public areas of the site. I would prefer to keep any discussions of this nature off the boards - these boards are indexed by google, and you never know when a competitor is checking you out. I think we have a lot to discuss and can probably help each other out, so it's really worth the $20.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    I have received a ton of information through out the net from the questions I have asked in regards to running kids bjj/grappling classes...So far I have compiled about 13 pages of information from others who have been very kind to help me out. I have one last set of questions that would be great of those same people or other can answer, then I think I will be well on my way to getting off on a good start.

-What do you charge for your kids grappling classes?
    $300 for 3 months. No year contracts or anything with kids ever. We offer big discounts (up to half) to people with multiple children enrolled also.

-Where do you get your kids giís from?
    Used to be ATAMA, but they were expensive, and not very popular due to the non-childproof drawstrings. We picked up some cheaper generic Gi from a local outlet, and died them (tie dye style), and they are much easier to deal with (stretchy waist w/ drawstring option), and they are much more popular with the kids.

I'm actually amazed at how sharp they came out with the dye. I'll post a pic later.

-If a student has not come to consecutive classed do you contact them to see why? What might you say?
    Definitely. I would call and ask how he was doing and mention that I noticed he hadn't been here for a while, and say that we just wanted to check up and make sure everything was alright, and that we missed him/her in class.

-Do you offer any additional programs for the kids at times, such as summer programs, activity days, and so on?
    Well in the past they did have occasional parties, fishing trips, and even sleepovers (in which at least one parent would chaperone), but I'm looking for ideas on this myself.

I'm also getting a wave of homeschooled kids, so I've been trying to put together a lot of things that public schools offer and they don't really have access to. Right now I'm working on "Stranger Danger" seminars with one of the cops I train. Also looking to do" Fire safety", and "First Aid" Seminars. I'm an almost Eagle Scout, but I'm looking to bring in the fire department and EMT's to do these. Luckily Enough of them train here that we can pull some strings, lol. As I said though everything here is just Ideas I've comeup with for this year.

-Is there a time of the year where you find that your kids classes arenít as busy?
    The summer sucks!

Biggest sign-up time is between September and November. November is the big one.

-Any additional things that should be known or considered when running kids bjj/grappling classes? Any additional helpful tips?
    I think you covered the bases pretty solid here. Are you writing a book, lol (I want a copy!)

Just stay away from the ATAMA style drawstrings. Kids are going to outgrow their Gi before they wear them out anyway, so go with the cheaper stuff with them regardless; it will make your life a lot easier to not have to retie those pants every five minutes... not to mention the possibility of a parent seeing that from a bad angle, and looking at it the wrong way, and taking you to court! (That is like my biggest fear; it's happened so many times in this country it's ridiculous)

Thanks again to all of those who have helped already and to those who help with these questions also.

again, no problem bro.

Just please email me a copy of your findings. My email is as follows (formatted to avoid spam):

MikeyTriangles AT yahoo DOT com

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 10:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Guys - I really recommend you become a supporting member - it is $20 for the year, you get to PM, and you get access to non-public areas of the site. I would prefer to keep any discussions of this nature off the boards - these boards are indexed by google, and you never know when a competitor is checking you out. I think we have a lot to discuss and can probably help each other out, so it's really worth the $20.
    What's in the non-public areas?

$20 is like a months pay for a Martial Arts Instructor, lol

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles
    What's in the non-public areas?

$20 is like a months pay for a Martial Arts Instructor, lol
    Here is the list of features of the $20 membership from the Fight BS page:

Silver Level (Supporting) Membership

Features:
    • Special designation as a
    • Colored username
    • Extended forum/posting privilages such as the ability to post Polls, Signatures, and Upload pictures
    • Custom features such as the ability to upload your own Avatars and change your user title.
    • Access to extra forums such as the (facetiously named) "Black Belt Club*", Training Logs, and No Holds Barred forums
    • Ability to store up to an additional 300 Private Messages (total: 500)
    • A You@Bullshido.net webmail account
    • Special discounts on future Bullshido merchandise
    • And the ability to use Thread Tags.
    • Not to mention the satisfaction of supporting and actively participating in a community devoted to improving the standards and fighting fraud, scams, and BS in the Martial Arts
    Only $20 per year!

I don't think the webmail account part is working - at least, I don't have one.

You do get access to the BBC Members only board, which is cool and has lots off discussion that the regular non-members miss out on (the BBC is not indexed by search engines, so you can be more open there). You also get a signature and avatar, and if you are smart, you'll put your website in the signature, which will drive up your google rankings every time you post, not to mention get you some nice, MA specific traffic to your site (you clicked on mine, admit it!!). That's the best advertizing you are ever going to get for $1.67 a month. Through this site, I have honed our business model, got feedback on what our school is doing and how we are percieved by knowledgeble people, met some great MA folk in my area, learned about seminars and training opportunities I would not have otherwise found, and met some fun and interesting people.

If that's not worth $20 to you, you're out of your mind.

On a more personal note, I think that as business owners benefiting from the no-BS movement in martial arts, it is our responsibility to help support it. I paid $20 for lunch last week, why wouldn't I give the same to a site that is helping me grow my business?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry...I don't want to sound like a pain, but can we stick to topic...lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma,jkd,bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I'm in a hurray so I didn't have time to read all the posts. When it comes to payments, I would start out with having a direct withdrawl from a check account. Don't mess with personal checks.