Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:05am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Would a Martial Arts Commission Work?

I've been thinking, what if someone started a Martial Arts commission to regulate the teaching of Martial Arts? All those who wish to teach Martial Arts would have to be reviewed by the commission in order to be approved to teach. If they are deemed unable to teach, then they are simply barred from teaching. Every instructor would be required to follow regulations set by the commission as well. This could possibly cut out all the bullshido being taught.

However, I see numerous problems with this, but I want to hear everyones opinions on a Martial Arts commission. Would it be a good idea to have a Martial Arts commission to regulate the teaching of Martial Arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:14am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This would be ridiculously expensive and hard to regulate. Most likely, even if it was to get set up, some things would slip between the cracks still. Also, the commission would have to come to an agreement on what's fair, which would take a LONG time to do.

Overall, I think this would never work and would be horribly expensive to attempt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll find the thread this was discussed a while ago.

Basically, no.

Who regulates what, who is the governing body, health vs sport vs RBSD.

Way to many variables. Don't believe me?

Look at all of the different BJJ orgs.
    Look at all of the Kyokushin orgs.
    Look at all of the boxing orgs.

Oh and who defines what is a Martial Art?

That right there has been the bane of this forum and many others for years. You can't regulate something that can't be defined.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    I've been thinking, what if someone started a Martial Arts commission to regulate the teaching of Martial Arts? All those who wish to teach Martial Arts would have to be reviewed by the commission in order to be approved to teach. If they are deemed unable to teach, then they are simply barred from teaching. Every instructor would be required to follow regulations set by the commission as well. This could possibly cut out all the bullshido being taught.

However, I see numerous problems with this, but I want to hear everyones opinions on a Martial Arts commission. Would it be a good idea to have a Martial Arts commission to regulate the teaching of Martial Arts?
    It will never happen.

Some people at Bullshido think Aikido is a joke. Can the commission declare Aikido is B.S. and ban it?

What about people who invent new MA like Bruce Lee? Would it be better to silence these people?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it could work, but you would never be able to "ban" someone or something from teaching because there will always be the saps who think their art is teh l337.

All you could do is force every MA school to put a certificate or something on their window or door that said whether or not they were a government approved "self defense", "sport", or "fitness" program.

You wouldn't review the instructors either, it'd take too damn long, you would just review whole schools.

The people doing the reviewing would have to be ex-pro fighters, ex-military, ex-bodyguards/bouncers, or ex-law enforcement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:28am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a feeling something like this would be a long shot. Oh well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.

I can imagine just how difficult something like this would be to pull off. I mean, the commission would have to be comprised of those who know about Martial Arts and all the crap that's going on in it, but even then it wouldn't be enough. The regulations would be difficult to put in since every Martial Art is different, so this would lead to the regulations being generalized which would probably have a lot of back doors and cracks for bullshido instructors to slip through.

I guess all you need to do is look at the state athletic commissions to get an idea of how a Martial Arts commission wouldn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:37am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Falcon,

Please outline why being "ex-military" or "ex-law enforcement" has any relevance to being an expert in all or any martial arts. While you're at it, please explain the bouncers, and how an "ex-pro fighter" like say, Oscar De La Hoya would be able to effectively judge a judo program.

I'm not just unilaterally attacking you...much, but I'm trying to point out that you yourself subscribe to several fallacies that the general public embraces when selecting martial arts instructors, such as the deadly soldier/cop, and the idea that expertise can be general rather than specific.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    Falcon,

Please outline why being "ex-military" or "ex-law enforcement" has any relevance to being an expert in all or any martial arts. While you're at it, please explain the bouncers, and how an "ex-pro fighter" like say, Oscar De La Hoya would be able to effectively judge a judo program.
    I thought the same thing.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 12:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta

Where would the money come from to launch such a commission? Where would it's authority begin and end, at the local, state or federal level? Who would oversee such an organization?

Questions like these need to be answered when considering an idea like a 'Martial Arts Commission'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 4:38am

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Where would the money come from to launch such a commission?
    From such schools that make money; McDojos. And since they are paying the stuff they would surely like to state what's ok and what's not. This would lead to badmouthing every other art and especially those that step on their toes, like when stealing their students (=money) or their credibility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast