Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 12:38pm

Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mandancing indeed - and with flexible weapons! (LOL)

But they do mention massage with Chinese girls, so it can't be as gay as these here 'gayrapplers', as they call them hillbilly yogi bare no-gi hug-and-buggers.

I'm definitely more a 'Water Margins' guy than a 'Deliverance' guy, although I do have a compound Barnett bow and arrows, and I don't reckon even Shaolin monks could catch one of them in flight! ;)
    Last edited by kiaiki; 9/18/2007 1:17pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, there weren't any terribly hot asian babes there. Unless twelve year old girls are your thing, in which case you may be a danger to those around you.
    There are a surprising amount of cool sound effects in wushu. In Chanqquan, you have a lot of jumps and kicks where you slap your foot. In addition to producing a neat little sound effect, I find it puts less strain on the hip (particularly for tornado kicks).
    Not the best example, but you can see some here:
    Weapons like the staff and three section cudgel also produces a lot of neat sound effects when you slap them against the ground.
    And of course, there are the noises the leightweight swords make when you wobble them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess it's a bit like using a katana - one indicator of when your cut is good is the sound.

The noise of a flexible blade is awesome, one I've heard in Kalari weapons too. In a unconnected example, I worked in a paper mill where the steel blades used to cut the rolls were 12 feet long razor sharp thin steel. They coiled up into a roll for disposal. One idiot tied up the roll with string - the noise of them uncurling was fantastic - the noise he made was less so (deep leg wound LOL - never liked him ;) ).

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok boys take it to the chinese martial arts style forums..cma.
    this is getting silly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    ok boys take it to the chinese martial arts style forums..cma.
    this is getting silly.
    Doh! I thought YMAS was supposed to be the place to be silly!

Ok, Lebell has spoken. Ignore him at your peril: Put the flexible weapons away guys. Yes, that means YOU too ! Oh, how I hate these attacks on donut dunking Daoists!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 2:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiaiki
    Doh! I thought YMAS was supposed to be the place to be silly!

Ok, Lebell has spoken. Ignore him at your peril: Put the flexible weapons away guys. Yes, that means YOU too ! Oh, how I hate these attacks on donut dunking Daoists!
    im simply trying to protect you from yourselves.
    if you insist, then by all means do carry on.

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 2:37pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a more serious note, try to do all the aerial kicks, and as a matter of fact all the kicks equally, on both sides. Doing the reactionary "right leg only" for jump kicks will cause serious muscle imbalances that lead to long term injuries. No bullshit. China is known for turning out short term athletes and discarding them when they stop performing. All that explosiveness in one direction, with out compensating is not worth it, unless you think you have what it takes to be the next Jet Li/Jackie Wu. If not, heed my advice and knock out all your kicks on both legs. Better yet, if any of the kicks tweak your back, drop them from your routine. A hobby shouldn't cripple you. There is a long article by Bryant Fong about this on the web, some say Fong's an asshole (most of his ex students) and he scammed the wu shu team by making a series of tapes with out paying them, but his article is right on the money. I've always liked Bryant, so read on-

http://www.sfwushu.net/essays/difficulties.html

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    On a more serious note, try to do all the aerial kicks, and as a matter of fact all the kicks equally, on both sides. Doing the reactionary "right leg only" for jump kicks will cause serious muscle imbalances that lead to long term injuries. No bullshit. China is known for turning out short term athletes and discarding them when they stop performing. All that explosiveness in one direction, with out compensating is not worth it, unless you think you have what it takes to be the next Jet Li/Jackie Wu. If not, heed my advice and knock out all your kicks on both legs. Better yet, if any of the kicks tweak your back, drop them from your routine. A hobby shouldn't cripple you. There is a long article by Bryant Fong about this on the web, some say Fong's an asshole (most of his ex students) and he scammed the wu shu team by making a series of tapes with out paying them, but his article is right on the money. I've always liked Bryant, so read on-

http://www.sfwushu.net/essays/difficulties.html
    Thanks for the heads up. Previously, I've mostly only done flying kicks off the right leg. I'll start alternating them from now on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2007 4:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, now I'm convinced - way too serious for YMAS.

Are you psychic Labelle?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123