Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem that thread is a mess.

Yip is the most popular linage no question. To tell me that everyone else is doing it wrong is stupid.

If he is older than 12 he is an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:08pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, yes, I looked at those links and they dealt with almost exactly the same lineages I chose for my humour post above. That is funny as I genuinely hadn't looked at your links until now. I picked the Veitnamese and Painted Face kam (Leung Shum Dit) because they are two of the funniest, but Jiu Wan was the one I figured had the best chance of being hard to force into Yip Man lineage as most of the material I found on it stated that Yip Man and Jiu Wan taught at the same time and respected one another...but one was not the other's teacher.

Anyways, I doubt he wants to come in and discuss it. We've already put up info against his point that is hard to counter, so I figure we'll see less of KFP than before.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I agree. If you are going to argue be informed that's all I ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:20pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha brilliant post!! Lineage does not matter in any sense of the word. Sifu Kevin Chan (my current teacher) learnt from Sam Kwok and then Ip Chun, but also from other artists, so what is that lineage? If I trained in Kamon and then went to a non-Yip Man lineage and trained what would my lineage be then?

It is certainly nice to have a good background. Most people respect Kevin Chan because they know he is a good fighter (he spent a lot of his youth getting into scraps) and because he is an honest down to earth guy. When I enter tournaments, it is nice to have a name backing you up, but it doesn't mean I am a great fighter (certainly I have lost a few fights recently)

Wing Chun is a great system as it gets you building basic skills like stancework, sensitivity, speed and power. However, you can't end your training by being a close quarter fighter all your life. It is great for pubs and clubs where space closes quickly, but if you get into a streetfigt or if the fight goes to ground you are buggered.

Yip Man is responsible for a lot of stuff - Bruce Lee, ending the wing chun wars and bringing a lot of schools together and producing a good few instructors.
    However, it does not make him flawless. He is responsible for William Cheung and Leung Ting...

I understand that Alan Orr was not of yip Man descendancy but I could be wrong. Alan Orr for me is one of the best wing chun practitioners in the UK

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yip man didn't end any wars he fostered a truce that flared up after he died.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:53pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    I understand that Alan Orr was not of yip Man descendancy but I could be wrong. Alan Orr for me is one of the best wing chun practitioners in the UK
    Yip Man -> Hawkings Cheung -> Robert Chu -> Alan Orr.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering Yip Man has an even sketchier fighting record than Boztepe, who fucking cares?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DTT
    Kamon Guy
    Kung Fu Pete.

Oh that's right Boyd tends to stay out of Linage wars.

This is why it was brought up

Quote Originally Posted by kamontard
    I never said sparring isn't useful. It is extremely useful. What I was saying was that in wing chun there is no room for it. What can you spar with? We don't have hooks, jabs etc. When I fight someone in a proper fight, I blast in with everything and it is mostly one way. People might put up guards or try a feeble hit back but mostly they are buggered.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamontard
    And as for the whole deadliness thing, any martial art is deadly, even a submission art like BJJ. The idea of wing chun is to involve street moves like finger strikes, elbows, neck breaks rather than arm bars or jabs etc. A lot of other arts use the same techniques but just take longer to do them.
    Deadliness is a temperamental word. A deadly person can be a person who causes you harm, not necessarily a killer!
    Oh they train BJJ and boxing but, he says he does WC.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea of wing chun is to involve street moves like finger strikes, elbows, neck breaks rather than arm bars or jabs etc. A lot of other arts use the same techniques but just take longer to do them.
    Deadliness is a temperamental word. A deadly person can be a person who causes you harm, not necessarily a killer!

It may be the sugar, but i giggled at this for five minutes...

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That first quote really bothers me. How long can it seriously take to teach someone to blitz forward with a million crappy arm-punches? Especially when all you do is drill it.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast