Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 4:58pm

Style: 777

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out LA boxing around my way once, it was obviously geared toward fitness. They did tell me they had the only BB bjj instructor in the area though, I was like really? There are at least 5 more like 10 one of them was my instructor at the time, his school was no more than 5 minutes away.

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 12:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive been to the la boxing in sacramento near the target area before and i have to say it impressed me. They will give you a free trial period and marcus reaves was more than willing to show me attention in the bag classes. by the end of the class i didnt even want his attention because i was so beat. they also have a fight team that trains pretty rigorously and marcus reaves claims they go to other gyms and sparr. even in the bag class we did combinations and techniques where marcus reaves referred back to fighting situations. falcohunter202, check it out. its free so it cant hurt and make sure you talk to marcus...he knows what he is doing

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you check out Marcus Reaves credentials? Any old fart can tell someone to hit the bag three times, do six push ups etc.. and get you tired. Question? Does an instructor have to be honest with you when claiming to have titles that never existed and/or won? Sports are full of people that claim to have this or that. People in gyms like the one Mr. Reaves owns will take instructions from a frog.

Prior to joining a gym take several free lesson from other gyms to make sure they meet your needs. His gym is reasonable for fitness training and it sounds like that is what your looking for. Good Luck! In your search for a gym that meets your needs.

I hear a new gym (LORDS GYM) is opening up in the Sacramento area. The instructor is a old professional fighter with a history of training top level boxers. You can track his boxing history and instruction in the Sacramento Area. Mr. Reaves may have some amount of Karate training. If you find out what it is (verified) let the readers in the area know. Most of us are tired getting bull from people like Mr. Reaves.

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 7:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops! Wrong thread.
    Last edited by TaitoTee; 8/27/2008 12:22am at .

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 3:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, muay thai, gunfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it really depends on the location. Pretty much the one by my place became a pure fitness place, but they had for a while a very legit BJJ program. Also the mma trainer was good too but mma got dropped because along with BJJ because the gym lost the people interested in sparring. I would take it that it can range from very good to just a fitness place.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work at an LA Boxing. Here's how I got hired:

*they bring out their fighter*

Manager: This guy's your student. Teach him.

*I work posture and posture breaking with him*

Manager: Now roll with him.

*I roll with him. Manager reviews my qualifications and checks to make sure i'm teaching with my instructor's permission.*

Manager: You're hired.

In addition to me we have a State Level wrestler and Pro MMA fighter on staff for grappling and numerous well qualified people for thai boxing and boxing.

They do run a "cardio" kickboxing class but that works out to a mixture of conditioning and hitting the bags. It's not advertised as self defense.
    Last edited by Hedgehogey; 11/25/2008 6:07pm at .

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2008 4:06am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    In addition to me we have a State Level wrestler and Pro MMA fighter on staff for grappling and numerous well qualified people for thai boxing and boxing.

They do run a "cardio" kickboxing class but that works out to a mixture of conditioning and hitting the bags. It's not advertised as self defense.
    That's the impression I received from LA Boxing. The young woman I spoke with made clear that the "cardio" classes utilized boxing moves, etc. but were NOT designed for self-defence or fight training. No misrepresentation there. I did not see enough to judge their regular boxing program.

Of course, someone who wishes to go all the way as a professional fighter will probably look towards (or at least at) lesser known, word-of-mouth independents, but there are some decent folks associated with LA Boxing, IMO. Is Flint's Gym still open in Sacramento? IF so, Sac. posters, take a look in there.

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw your post and had to respond. I have never been to the LA Boxing gyms on the east coast. I live in San Diego, and I know that the following instructors work out of the gyms in my area and have had the opportunity to train with them.

Waachim Spiritwolf - WFC Welterweight Champion (San Diego)

Eddie Sanchez - MMA Instructor has an impressive 12-3 MMA record and has fought on 7 UFC event cards. (Carlsbad)

Scott Rose WFC I think Scott is 1-1 in the WFC (San Diego)

Fabio Villela, World Champion Jiu Jitsu instructor

Sean Mccully, UFC Sean opened the 1st LA Boxing and still owns one in So Cal.

Robert "The Spider" Grigg BJJ, won prestigious grappling events including: the No-Gi Mudial, NAGA, Pan Americans, Grapplers Quest, Ouano Invitational, Joe Morieras State Championship, and Never Tap. Has no pub but a very good instructor.

Sounds more like a $6 burger to me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2009 11:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    2/12/2010 6:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LA Boxing

Let's not mislead your reader by writing a lot of well constructed paragraphs with little or no misspellings but fail to get to your main point. I for one like to hear and read your point of view now. My concern with the Arts (Boxing, stick fighting, BJJ....) is the many people that claim to have trained and won numerous titles as stated by another writer in this forum. I would like to follow up on a statement made about the LA Boxing owner, Marcus Reaves in Sacramento that claims to have 3 AAU world title in Kickboxing. This claim is not true and each of the Francises needs to be looked at individually. It is what it is (no-bull). Boxing is still a sport that is defined by its participants at the upper level and greatly appreciated by fans.

Be honest with yourself and others.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234