Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing/MT [Jiujitsu soon]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

avoiding injuries and trying to train seriously

So I've been taking TKD for a while now, and that involved compliant training, and although the sparring is full contact, injuries rarely occur. So that experience so far has been pretty low-intensity with little risk of permanent injury.

Now I'm starting a serious boxing/MT/BJJ gym. I know from what i read here that good training is alive training and noncompliant exercises. However, isnt the risk of injury increased? Sorry if this seems like being a wuss, but I don't want concussions and brain damage/other permanent damage to my body, which seems like its to be expected if you do REAL martial arts training. If it makes me less hardcore than some of you out there, so be it, but i dont want permanent damage especially brain damage from hits to the face in boxing/MT etc.

Can anyone else let me know if training seriously is an injury-prone activity? or if the training is done properly, i shouldnt get hurt except for high-intensity things like matches (which i'm still a long way off from participating in)

Thanks for your help,:bully:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 4:21pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gurakshun
    If it makes me less hardcore than some of you out there, so be it, but i dont want permanent damage especially brain damage from hits to the face in boxing/MT etc.
    You won't get much in the way of permanent damage, unless of course you're unlucky! However, you can be unlucky crossing a road - people still do though.

[/quote]Can anyone else let me know if training seriously is an injury-prone activity? or if the training is done properly, i shouldnt get hurt except for high-intensity things like matches (which i'm still a long way off from participating in)

Thanks for your help,:bully:[/quote]

You'll get the odd slight aches and pains as you would with ANY proper sport (crap like chess and darts excluded). I don't, however, believe the risk with full contact MAs to be any greater than most other sports. Look at football (soccer) games... players are limping off injured during and after most games. This is not something I see at most boxing/kickboxing/MMA events or training sessions.

In short, full contact MA training will not cause very many injuries. I can only remember one serious injury at our gym when a woman fell over doing a kick. During hard contact sparring, nosebleeds may occur and other sily rubbish like jamming thumbs, stubbing toes. You are not, however, guaranteed brain damage and paralysis :tongue5: