Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understand it, the key is to avoid hitting parts of your opponent which are harder than your hand. Thus, a punch to the forehead is bad. A punch to the mandible is good.
    I've not tried using palm strikes too much, but whenever I try and use one in sparring, it feeels like a really weak crappy punch with less range. It also seems like it would put my fingers and wrist at a great risk if I was off-target.
    Has anyone ever tried sparring bare knuckle, with face punches? I've only done bare knuckle without them. Did you find it changed your game up much?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    As I understand it, the key is to avoid hitting parts of your opponent which are harder than your hand. Thus, a punch to the forehead is bad. A punch to the mandible is good.
    I've not tried using palm strikes too much, but whenever I try and use one in sparring, it feeels like a really weak crappy punch with less range. It also seems like it would put my fingers and wrist at a great risk if I was off-target.
    Has anyone ever tried sparring bare knuckle, with face punches? I've only done bare knuckle without them. Did you find it changed your game up much?
    The strikes are different, & what are you losing in reach? Two inches? Open hands with chops, palm heels & slaps offer a lot more flexibility than just fists/hammer fists.

Also, for conditioning, strike the heavy back & a speed bag filled with steel shot. Condition your wrists with knuckle push ups, among other things. Hard to soft / soft to hard, you'll be fine.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 5:16pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It reeks of all kinds of TUF noobiness, and I'm not entirely convinced of it's legimity, but this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFydkrjBG2g
    is some footage of bareknuckle mma I've found. It doesn't seem like they care about hurting their hands all that much, I'd say.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 6:24pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    It reeks of all kinds of TUF noobiness, and I'm not entirely convinced of it's legimity, but this
    is some footage of bareknuckle mma I've found. It doesn't seem like they care about hurting their hands all that much, I'd say.
    I have yet to see a promotional video with the announcer sounding as unenthusiastic as the guy in this one.

poser

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 6:43pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    Doesn't seem very legal either.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus, they got some really shitty strikers there. They got guts, but man, tuck the fucking chin!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Martial and Sexual Artist

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: standup to ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've hit heavy bags barehanded for a long time, done the makiwara stuff, I don't think my hands are ready for iron fist yet.

In street fights, i've followed the hard-soft, soft-hard principle, using the slaps and palm type strikes to the face if you are going to use full length punches. It works great, train it. Palm strikes are pretty bad ass.

As to the original question, you can easily hurt yourself striking. The most common injury from a street fight seems to be the broken right hand caused by that first full-power sucker punch.

Working the clinch and dirty boxing with elbows and body shots is probably the most effective stand-up for a street fight anyway. Most people have NO IDEA what to do with a clinch and it's pretty obvious once you grab them. Why give the guy a puncher's chance from range?

I won't repeat, but did anybody think about Bas Rutten's comments about Mike Tyson's broken hands from the Big DVDs of Combat? I am prone to agree with El Guapo.

I will tell one very sad story about myself that forever changed the way I viewed striking. In one of the martial arts books I was reading when I first got into MA with judo, it talked about something called a "fore knuckle fist" and the book described it as a fist making technique in-which your middle finger's middle knuckle sticks out like a "spear" fromyour hand, causing more pressure per square in that a normal fist, yada yada. Sounded great to me from the book. Went to hit a heavy bag like that my father had in the basement. Not a great idea if you get what it looks like.

HAH WOW! FOund it! Published in 86
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Gn4...btKAgxa3C-gaFY

God bless google books.

Link has a picture of it. Yea, it's not very practical hehe but it tricked me at 10 years old or however old I was at the time.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Also known as "the Kempofist approach".

I concur with the palmheel strikes to the head solution.
    It also doesn't leave your knuckles bruised... ideal for when the police pick you up for KTFOing some chav in the street.
    Also, less chance of cutting yourself/them... without sounding too RBSD "omg everyone haz teh aids"; the less blood, the less chance.
    Not to mention the "Gee officer, I was just trying to push the psycho away from me because I don't like to fight" legal defence. To the untrained and uneducated masses, palm heal and most knife hand strikes look like some pansy ass slap boxing ****, so most witnesses will back up your case.

Last edited by TEA; 9/16/2007 7:43pm at .

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 8:57am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Plus, they got some really shitty strikers there. They got guts, but man, tuck the fucking chin!!!
    I just searched youtube for 2 minutes, so I'm sorry if the quality is low.
    On the topic of bareknuckle, old Pancrase matches were fought bareknuckle, but closed fists were prohibited, at least to the face, I think. There were still a lot of knockouts from palmheel strikes, so palmheels are valid.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 9:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm locking this thread because it is dumb and the OP must not have even thought about searching.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123