Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:34am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or, punch trees and wood until you break your knuckles. Let them heal. Bones heal back stronger than before they broke. Punch brick walls until breakage. Heal. Now move on to steel. It's how the Kung Fu masters built their Iron Fist.

Check out Master Pan. He hits a metal plank a thousand times a day. You can see the bones coming OUT of the skin over the knuckles. Here's some pics; http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...hp?article=217 I've read that the old masters would only do it to their left hand, 'cause it would permanently cripple it.

I was a dumb angry kid who used to punch everything in sight. Now I can hit support beams in buildings full power and it doesn't hurt. I've been told I'm in for some wicked arthritis later on, though. I've got red, mishapen knuckles with lots of scars. I even had an asian guy come up to me once and ask if I did Karate.

I'd say the soft on hard, hard on soft is better advice. My old cornerman had a permanently sunken in knuckle from breaking a bone in his hand. I saw it happen to a friend of mine just recently at our fight club. I've got big bones, and I've hurt the tiny shock absorber bones (metacarpals, tarsals?) but thank God my hands are still in the right shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:51am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where's the proof that broken bones heal stronger? I don't think there is an ethical way to prove this in human beings. Are there animal bone expertsout there? The new bone is never as strong as the old one. Its a huge misconception. Bone however, do remodel due to pressure applied to them. The constant pressure of hitting something WITHOUT breaking your hands, makes your body recruit cells (Osteoblast) to go lay down more bone in the area of contact, so yes those areas are thicker and STRONGER with the organized underlying support on which you are born with and they are built upon. If you know anyone with a broken bone, they are always in pain in some way or later, and that bone quiet aint like it used to be. Its like roman bridge with the organized arches that lasts for centuries. You can blow them up with dynamite, put concrete on top of them and call it stronger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    Or, punch trees and wood until you break your knuckles. Let them heal. Bones heal back stronger than before they broke. Punch brick walls until breakage. Heal. Now move on to steel. It's how the Kung Fu masters built their Iron Fist.

Check out Master Pan. He hits a metal plank a thousand times a day. You can see the bones coming OUT of the skin over the knuckles. Here's some pics; http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...hp?article=217 I've read that the old masters would only do it to their left hand, 'cause it would permanently cripple it.

I was a dumb angry kid who used to punch everything in sight. Now I can hit support beams in buildings full power and it doesn't hurt. I've been told I'm in for some wicked arthritis later on, though. I've got red, mishapen knuckles with lots of scars. I even had an asian guy come up to me once and ask if I did Karate.

I'd say the soft on hard, hard on soft is better advice. My old cornerman had a permanently sunken in knuckle from breaking a bone in his hand. I saw it happen to a friend of mine just recently at our fight club. I've got big bones, and I've hurt the tiny shock absorber bones (metacarpals, tarsals?) but thank God my hands are still in the right shape.
    It's called Wolff's law, and you needn't break your fucking knuckles or hand for it. If you repeatedly break your hand you're just going to really **** up your hand. Wolff's law involves microscopic fractures developing in the bones and then healing over. This is why astronaut's bones are brittle after long periods in zero gravity and why the arm that tennis players hold the racket with has stronger bones than their other arm.

Just hitting a heavy bag is enough. No need for trees or any of that ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:53am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, to clarify, Osteoclasts are involved as well, to break the bone down along with microfractures, but we are not talking about completely breaking the bone.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 2:30am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can break your knuckles, hands, and wrists with gloves on so you can damn sure do it without.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:42pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won't add anything new really except to say that: Arturo Gatti kept on breaking his hand time and time again when he would fight. I guess if it was true that a broken bone heals stronger then he would in fact have hands of solid, impenatrable bone mass. Which, of course he doesn't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 2:35pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can you break your hand if you throw haymakers?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by breakdown1101
    can you break your hand if you throw haymakers?
    Yes. Yes you can.:boxing:

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    breakdown1101, how long have you been doing shotokan???

To answer all of your questions, yep, hands can go pop. Mike Tyson broke one of his fists in a street fight. This is a solid dude with conditioned hands. Gerard Gordeau broke one of his fist in UFC 1 (and he still went with it.) Arlovsky also broke his hand once IIRC.

I'd think anyone who has boxed or done some sort of competitive striking has busted his hand or wrist (dislocation or fracture) in comps or training (this with wraps and gloves). From that, one can deduce a fracture is or should be far more possible when doing it bareknuckled.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 3:37pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    I won't add anything new really except to say that: Arturo Gatti kept on breaking his hand time and time again when he would fight. I guess if it was true that a broken bone heals stronger then he would in fact have hands of solid, impenatrable bone mass. Which, of course he doesn't.
    Previously broken bones break more easily. Conditioned hands from breaking down the bone and letting them rebuild are much stronger, as someone mentioned, as stated in Wolff's law.

But regardless, you can still break your hand punching.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast