Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:12pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I just wonder some times, is MMA making things better, or is it making us more violent and unreasonable? Is it one of the many signs that America might fall like Ancient Rome, which is now, well Italy, or is it the start of some new health and strength movement? I really wonder if we are releasing a better way of martial arts, or are we saying, hey, it's o.k. to kick or punch a downed opponent, and hope someone stops it. I admit that I did the "GNP" before the UFC, but that's besides the point. Anyway, I don't know, so I thought I'd put the question out there.
    I'd be more concerned about the rabbid wrasslin fans out there bringing us down more than I would MMA or any other combat sport.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    What about the "neither" option?

It isn't affecting violence in America any more than gladiatorial games affected violence in Rome. Nobody went around emulating gladiators, they just liked watching them.
    I'd say, "what about the 'both' option"?

The massive popularity of the gladiatorial contests in ancient Rome is often put forward as an example of Roman cultural collapse; the idea being that a culture that would sanction the public spectacle of death and dismemberment on a massive scale was essentially morally bankrupt.

That said, apart from the hype value of referring to MMA fighters as "modern day gladiators", there are some very important differences; most of the Roman gladiators were slaves who had no choice about entering the arena, and death/dismemberment were frequent (and applauded) outcomes. MMA fighters enter the octagon of their own free will and their matches are strictly controlled by referees and subject to rules designed to reduce the risk of serious injuries.

The GnP strategy does no favors for MMA in terms of public perception. Simply put, yes, it's efficient, and yes, it's brutal. For better or (probably) worse, the public perception of MMA is one guy sitting on top of another guy and punching him in the face, and that's associated with streetfights and schoolyard bullying more than sport. If MMA contests consisted of (essentially) kickboxing, throwing and submission wrestling, I doubt that anyone other than the most extreme health and safety advocates would have much of a problem with it.
    Last edited by DdlR; 9/14/2007 10:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 6:34am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhm... America ending up as Rome has probably little to do with UFC and MMA.
    I just know the USD is shitty low right now...

Personally, I don't think America will go to hell, just perhaps that more and more countries will start to rise above it.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:16am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suicide. Some people should consider it.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last set of figures I read that violent street crime had generally reduced in american cities during the mid/late 90's and this decade.

If you're concerned about america as a collapsing decadent empire, I'd be more concerned with what your politicians are up to with your troops and your dollars than some televised combat sport.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA could potentially end all war, if it were the rule that all squabbles and differences were settled in the cage. Jews and Muslims got a problem with each other? Anyone that cares can slug it out to death in the arena and leave sensible people the **** alone. You could even build a blast-proof arena wall and have suicide bombing as a sport.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rome slipped into degeneracy and ultimately failed because people became more and more dependent on the government to provide for them. Less people paid taxes but more people used the money gained from taxation.

The Gladiatorial games were one sign of the beggining of decay in Rome.

MMA is a far cry from slaughtering unarmed people and exotic animals.

MMA has been a boon for those of us who like to 'rassle and punch folks. More gyms are opening up and the price for learning it is going down.

People perceptions of MMA depend on the people competing in the sport. Thats why I think so highly of JLau. While all the other douchebags were drinking, tearing up the house , and posturing, he was trying to train and win.
    There needs to be more JLau;s in MMA and less Nate Diazs'.

There are a lot of other social problems in the US that will lead to its downfall, long before MMA does.
    I can appreciate the training it takes to compete in MMA and dont watch it for the bloody fights, MOM34 likes someone to bleed , and bleed badly.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 7:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Suicide. Some people should consider it.
    Canadians?

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 9:41am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Perception vs reality.

Perception: MMA is a blood sport.

Reality: Auto racing is.
    AGREE.

Also, since we are no longer in the old UFC days, Boxing is more brutal at this point.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 1:40pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    MMA could potentially end all war, if it were the rule that all squabbles and differences were settled in the cage. Jews and Muslims got a problem with each other? Anyone that cares can slug it out to death in the arena and leave sensible people the **** alone. You could even build a blast-proof arena wall and have suicide bombing as a sport.
    The next war will not be fought - it will be played.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast