Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 6:38pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA a better America/World?

I just wonder some times, is MMA making things better, or is it making us more violent and unreasonable? Is it one of the many signs that America might fall like Ancient Rome, which is now, well Italy, or is it the start of some new health and strength movement? I really wonder if we are releasing a better way of martial arts, or are we saying, hey, it's o.k. to kick or punch a downed opponent, and hope someone stops it. I admit that I did the "GNP" before the UFC, but that's besides the point. Anyway, I don't know, so I thought I'd put the question out there.

poser

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:30pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the "neither" option?

It isn't affecting violence in America any more than gladiatorial games affected violence in Rome. Nobody went around emulating gladiators, they just liked watching them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:34pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pundits that hate MMA call it a blood sport, and the UFC tends to market it as such (so sometimes it's hard to fault them for their perceptions). Still, on the whole the refs seem competent, and even preemptive sometimes in their stoppages so I don't think that it's going to invite the type of wholesale butchery of the Coliseum, no matter how many times announcers call them 'modern day gladiators'.

I think the only problem is that at the shows sometimes you get a crowd of douche bags so vast and numerous that it can't be healthy to be within a twenty mile radius of the venue.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see more signs of genuine honesty and integrity in MMA than in many other aspects of life

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:59pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    What about the "neither" option?

It isn't affecting violence in America any more than gladiatorial games affected violence in Rome. Nobody went around emulating gladiators, they just liked watching them.
    I'm no expert on ancient Rome, just the fact that a lot of books on the left and the right are saying the US is headed in that direction. It's more that fact that people liked Gladiator's, not that the imitated them. At the same time, with this country getting fat and lazy, maybe MMA's focus on real fitness and not mumbo jumbo is a good thing. I just wanted to see and have some thoughts provoked, not necessarily provoke other people.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read Are We Rome? by Cullen Murphy for the US and Rome anecdote.

Gladiator games were much more of a spectacle and less of a sport for the Romans. I truly believe in my heart of hearts that MMA to most people is more of a sport and less of a spectacle.

I really don't think the US is so weak socially and culturally that something like a violent sport will expedite its fall.

At least I hope not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:27pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't think that it's having too much of a negative impact. Of course you're going to have dumb ass kids and adults who try to emulate what they see on TV and end up getting hurt, but that's nothing new at all. Those who actually train, or at least have a good understanding of MMA will benefit though. Realizing that the **** you see in MA movies won't work 99% of the time, realizing that nothing is as easy as it looks on TV, get some good physical training, and hopefully come to the realization that they're not fucking Superman.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:17pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ideally we want to live in a non-violent world, so how could MMA make anything better? Though i don't believe it makes the world any worse than television does. So I would say neither. Next question.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:43pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perception vs reality.

Perception: MMA is a blood sport.

Reality: Auto racing is.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think MMA does both. The sport its self shows people that LARPing and thinking your some kind of bad ass without actually being in a single fight, will not only get you laid the **** out, but in worse situations crippled or killed. It made fighting real. It made some start going to the gym, becoming comfortable with all aspects of fight, on the ground or standing up. It made a lot of people go "What the **** am I doing!?". There are still a bunch of douche bags out there but hey, its better now then it was before (in some aspects).

On the other hand anyone with even the slightest work ethic and a bad attitude can learn a variety of MA's (TKD, MT, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Sambo, San Shou, etc...) call themselves a MMA fighter and everyone weaker then them suddenly gets the perception that anyone that does MMA is a total fucking asshole. There have been assholes before MMA was well known and now that these pricks can adress all aspects of fighting, not to learn to defend them selves, but as another means of applying their physical dominance on others (because their insecure or need to over compensate for something or another).

So is there a straight answer? I dont think so.
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast