Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 3:30am

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unfortunately, many many HKD schools fall victim to the watered down McDojang mentality. Then there are those of us that train hard and are willing to test ourselves against other styles in all sorts of arenas.

As for HKD being kind of a "mixed bag" of techniques and styles, it is seen that way since it is a combination of both Korean, Japanese, and Chinese influences.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:28am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's true you cant tell whats hapkido in it's self. In my opinion hapkido is meant to be changed and adapt to different sittuations and styles so almost every school is different. My teacher was a TKD, JUDO, and KENDO guy to. So as far as techniques go I didn't know for sure were original hapkido started and ended. He just told me that what he showed me was 3/4 hapkido and rest were his techniques. ??

Pro hapkido is cool. And yes when you start to allow to take down and continue fighting it starts to look like jj is mixed in.

I think the biggest problem with hapkido is finding a school where people want to train it hard. That's why TKD is so popular cause there is no pain involved (as far as joint locks and such). Lot of schools offer hapkido as a class to go along with schools core TKD practice. So there are guys who claim hapkido rank but not enough time on the mat. You can tell a true hapkido master from the way they move when demonstrating a technique.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:33am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old Hapikdo teacher is now teaching competitive Judo in his own school ( a Mister Ray Watkins ) . Not sure what that means , just wanted to toss that out there .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:40am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wanted to take up Judo also, but the usual case of not enough time. I think its a perfect addition to Hapkido. Plus entering competition is a good experiance. Personaly i like throwing and grapling that's why i stuck with Hapkido. I also enjoy lerning a lot of new things and techniques. They say there are suppsedly 3000 techniques or so. I know I would get bored if i just studied TKD. BJJ is realy cool to but no time for that either.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrRuss1
    unfortunately, many many HKD schools fall victim to the watered down McDojang mentality. Then there are those of us that train hard and are willing to test ourselves against other styles in all sorts of arenas.

As for HKD being kind of a "mixed bag" of techniques and styles, it is seen that way since it is a combination of both Korean, Japanese, and Chinese influences.

There is a school near me that now teaches Combat Hapkido.

WTF is that?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 5:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    There is a school near me that now teaches Combat Hapkido.

WTF is that?
    Corporatived Hapkido , that again varies from school to school and city to city . The video learning program is quite crappy , but their cane fighting videos are pretty top notch .

I have nothing more to offer on this topic .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 9:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the school i trained in work every aspect of fighting and self defense.. the reason every body looks at this art as grab bag or mix and match is because its founder choi while training in different styles incorperated what ever he felt worked best for each situation...that is how all arts are formed..he happened to train or train with different styles..this is the reason the throws look like judo throws, they are but maybe done a little different..the joint locking looks like jj because it is and so on..some schools cant put it all together but a good teacher can.i happened to get lucky and have a good teacher..to me a good hapkido is hard to find .. any ways thats my opinon...peace

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 11:50am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    So "Good Hapkido" should be a stew of other things? What is it in and of itself?
    I would not agree with this statement. Hapkido itself is based on a core *circular* theory and dynamic power generation. When you see someone who knows what they are doing you can clearly see that underlying idea in every movement they make when they fight.

What good hapkido should do is take the most effective techniqes from other systems and make them work within the underlying circular theory.
    Last edited by bradtacs; 9/21/2007 12:23pm at .

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtacs
    I would not agree with this statement. Hapkido itself is based on a core *circular* theory and dynamic power generation. When you see someone who knows what they are doing you can clearly see that underlying idea in every movement they make when they fight.

What good hapkido should do is take the most effective technuqes from other systems and make them work within the underlying circular theory.
    Bingo

..." always search for the center of your sphere "
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 4:50pm

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtacs

What good hapkido should do is take the most effective techniqes from other systems and make them work within the underlying circular theory.
    If possible could you post vids of this. I only took hapkido for a semester, and this is the first time I've ever heard of "core circular.' thanks
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast