Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 4:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you run your kids classes?

For all of the instructors and school owners that visit this site:

How do you run your kids bjj/grappling/mma classes?
    What format do you use?
    Do you focus on games, and do you do it for all age groups?
    What ages do you teach submission?
    When do you first let new kids roll?
    How long are your classes?
    Do you use the traditional BJJ rankings?
    What ages do you teach? Do you split the ages up?
    What times are your classes? Are they in the mid afternoon? or evening?
    Do you have an assistant instructor working with you?

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by jasculs; 9/14/2007 4:32pm at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    For all of the instructors and school owners that visit this site:

I try to be the "cool" instructor, because I'm young, and look younger then I am. You definitely need their respect without question, but I try not to be too strict, and usually I don't have to. I definitely try to keep it fun at all times

What format do you use?
    This is approximate, and it's not always the same, but here's a general breakdown of my average class:

Warm-up/workout/stretching- 25 mins
    -quick water break-
    Teach techniques/positions- 15 mins (this is where it's hardest to keep them interested)
    -quick water break-
    Live Drilling/Rolling- 10-15 mins
    Game(s)- 10-5 mins

Games are a huge part of my kids classes, but I try to use games that aren't just mindless fun, and that will help them with their Jiu-Jitsu without them even knowing it. I always dedicate at least 5 minutes to a game at the end of class, but if they're all good in class I'll usually try to get 10+ mins, and play two games

There's also some days that I might have a big class and just split them into teams, play Crab-Walk Soccer, and then have a mini-BJJ tournament with the two teams.

All ages, but not all submissions. Like I don't teach kids guillotines or anything else that would be illegal for them at a competition in their age category.

I usually start them with live drills (like passing) after a couple weeks depending on how much they come and how well they progressed. Then I'll have them roll easy with one of the more advanced students (no submissions or takedowns) to get them comfortable with the idea, and used to the protocol

1 hour for all age groups (4-12)

Yes, we use the traditional kids rankings which is white, gray, yellow for under six, and white, yellow, orange, green for under sixteen, but we have the teens class combined with adults right now, and we start the teens class at 12 (depending on physical size/ability)

we usually start at 4, but there are some mature three year olds that can learn and some immature 5 year olds that just can't. Maturity is a big factor here.

I have 4-7 year olds from 4:30-5:30, and 8-12 year olds from 5:30-6:30. Though it's not strict, and a lot of it is governed by size, maturity, and skill level over age.

Actually I am the assistant instructor technically, but I run many of the kids classes on my own right now because of the schedule here. If it is a class larger then 10 students I think there should always be two instructors on the mat, and we try to abide by that most of the time, but right now we're a bit short staffed with everything going on. Luckily since this is a fairly new school, and we do have two seperate classes 7 days a week most of the classes are under 10 students right now anyway.

Thanks for any replies.
    No problem bro :icescream

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer...it is much appreciated!

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 5:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer...it is much appreciated!
    As I said, not a problem.

Here's another question that I think could be useful: What games do you play with the kids?

please describe :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anymore instructors of kids classes or even those who have info about the kids classes at your school with more answers to the questions above?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 1:04am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no kids at my college judo class, but we play a couple games every now and again. one is king of the mat, pretty easy game, everyone on hands and knees, last person on the mat wins. we do some sumo wrestling which is fun. we play a game where there is 1 "catcher" and everyone else is trying to get across the mat w/o being turned over (everyone is on hands and knees). every person turned over becomes a "catcher" and joins the catchers.

i've seen more kids oriented classes this summer with games like "touch the leg/head", those who get touched do some situps/pushups. ummm, what else. i forget. and i'm a lil drunk. i'll think of more later.

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn
    no kids at my college judo class, but we play a couple games every now and again. one is king of the mat, pretty easy game, everyone on hands and knees, last person on the mat wins. we do some sumo wrestling which is fun. we play a game where there is 1 "catcher" and everyone else is trying to get across the mat w/o being turned over (everyone is on hands and knees). every person turned over becomes a "catcher" and joins the catchers.

i've seen more kids oriented classes this summer with games like "touch the leg/head", those who get touched do some situps/pushups. ummm, what else. i forget. and i'm a lil drunk. i'll think of more later.
    that catcher game sounds like one I do with the kids, we call it "Bull". one kid on his hands and knees the others run around and he has to take them down to make them a bull also, until everyone is turned.

Sometimes in the adult class we play Ultimate Rugby on our knees with a 12lb medicine ball. You're allowed to choke each other out and use submissions to get the ball to your team too, lol

I like playing "Terminator" with the kids too. It's kinda like dodgeball, but I'm the only one allowed to get them out, and they have to do 10 squats or pushups everytime I hit them

Master Mansor grew up on a farm, so he used to play a similar game using a lasso instead of a ball, lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 7:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma,jkd,bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -I try to keep the kids mma class as fun as possible. It's really relaxed while at the same time progressive.

What format do you use?
    -First 15mins are stretching/warmups
    -Next we will sit down and talk about what we did last class or how everybody is doing in school. This will take anywhere from 5-10 mins.
    -After that we will start to do some technique work.
    -Rest of time we'll play a sport specific game. I'll make a list of our games on another post.

-We do not focus on game, but we use them as a tool to keep it fun and enteresting.

-All ages, but as there practicing we keep a close eye on the lower belts.

-I'll use my own judgement on when they're ready. But usually it's once they become a green belt.

-1 hour

-No. Under 16 is white,yellow,green,blue,red,purple,brown. We also do stripes.

-The youngest kid is 5 in our class.

-5p-6p

-Yes

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Brandon, thank you....If you don't mind posting some of your activities also that would be great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 9:07pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not an instructor, but I'm 14 years old, and I can shed some light on this.

I'll talk about BJJ class, 'cus wrestling team is something else and not really a "kid's class."

The whole thing is an hour and fifteen minutes, and currently ages range from 8-17 (I think). The format is as follows:

First Half-Hour-ish: Five minutes running, Six Minutes of Fun (hard work for six minutes), strength training (usually pullups and push-ups), stretches, and a game (soccer, this thing called Arena, other stuff).

Second Half-Hour-ish: techniques, and if we have time (which is usually salvaged from cutting the first half short) some position rolling or King of the Guard.

Last Fifteen Minutes: One submission technique, then submission rolling. This time is specially reserved for anyone who's either fifteen years old or me (they made an exception because of the age gap between ten and fourteen).

As I said above, they normally start submissions at 15, but sometimes make exceptions.

Sometiems new kids roll, sometimes not. Depends on their age, if someone's their size, and if they've had prior training.

They do use traditional rankings, but I don't believe you can be blue under a certain age, and it's really rare for kids to get their blue. I know I've never seen it.

There are sometimes assistant instructors. These are white belts who want to get their blues, but instead of assisting in their own classes they decide to come to kid's classes.

A great game you could try, and they do this in the adult classes, too, is called "Arena."

There are two variations: Judo grip arena, and free grip arena. The point of the game is to, using grips, push and pull them outside of a square arena made with belts. In judo grip arena, you have to have a lapell and an elbow grip, and you can't try to force your opponent's grip off. You can let go (in certain situations this is good, such as "the matrix"), but you can't get any grips besides the elbow and lapell.

In free grip arena, you start with no grips and have to fight for any grips. You are allowed to fight the other person's grips off.

In both, there are no trips, takedowns, or pushing without a grip. You win by pushing, pulling, rapidly alternating, changing levels, The Matrix, the assisted walk, and any other moves you can coin names for.

It's good to mix it up between both. They both have limiations and openings. The limitations of judo grip arena are obvious, but there are certain things you can do there that you can't do in free grip. For example, you can do "the matrix," which is when you're falling out, but you plant your heels in the ground and hold yourself up by their gi. It gets in a slow-motion stalemate, hence the name. Sometimes, your grips give in, and you fall on your back. Sometimes, the other person gives in any posts an arm. Sometimes, you gain enough balance to come back or throw them. In free grip arena, the top person would fight off the bottom person's grips. You'll see what I mean if you start this at your kid's class. It's a lot of fun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast