Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:13pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mark Cuban wants in on MMA

I think some people already know about this; especially since ESPN is a widely read site. (HanktheTank even alluded to it in the UFC 75 thread.) Mark Cuban is looking to get into MMA by developing a TV network for MMA. The article doesn't directly say he's starting another competitor league to the UFC, but the plans seem to involve using a conglomerate of regional leagues to provide content. So in my mind, it does seem to boil down to supporting a competing league by being the "SpikeTV" of that league. He does seem to have some impressive resources to get it going, not just in terms of money, but arena venues and TV infrastructure (HDnet). So, do you think he can pull it off? Or does Dana White have the advantage being a former boxer with better knowledge of fighters and fighting? Is this the beginning of a downward slide towards the organizationally fractured apathy inducing world of boxing?

I think there's a risk that Cuban might not understand the raw combat appeal of the UFC, and try to package things with too much slickness. It would also be regrettable if fighters between the two leagues never got to face each other, and we have a constant state of frustration for fans. If I were him, I'd stay away from partnering with Vince McMahon on this... (XFL anyone?) The best scenario would be for Cuban's league to drive up the salaries of fighters all around in the UFC as well as the professionalism of the whole sport, while we somehow still get to see the best fighters match up with each other.

I will say this, Dana White vs. Mark Cuban in the business and PR arena will be an entertaining match up in itself, while it lasts.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:16pm

Style: wrestle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's doing this with the WWE.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:45am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyZ
    I think there's a risk that Cuban might not understand the raw combat appeal of the UFC, and try to package things with too much slickness....

...If I were him, I'd stay away from partnering with Vince McMahon on this... (XFL anyone?)...

...I will say this, Dana White vs. Mark Cuban in the business and PR arena will be an entertaining match up in itself, while it lasts.
    He mentioned several times that he wanted to produce a professional sports package, staying away from what he perceives as over production on the part of the UFC. He also mentioned that he felt the UFC took too much from the book of WWE, which makes me think some of your fears are unfounded.

I totally agree that watching White vs. Cuban will be immensely entertaining.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana White vs. Mark Cuban - White wins at 2:14 of the first round by TKO due to f-bombs.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:00am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So long as it honestly represents the sport I am all for another organization. The broader base MMA has the more competative the middle and upper ranks will be. All in all giving us as athletes more opertunities and giving fans better shows.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Battle of the inflated egos. Dana White would cut off his left nut while he ate a piece of Don King's **** if he knew it would increase his PPV buys on the next show and whereas Cuban would go with the more gentlemanly castration by surgeon broadcast live whilst hooked up to an IV bag full of Bob Arum's nutjuice, all the while decrying White's "uncultured behaviour", on local anaesthetic of course so he could critique the doctor's work while he was working.