Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday I talked to my gen pract dr, and today I talked to a rokudan and a shichidan who also does physical therapy. All three of them said there is only one way to prevent slipped rib syndrome: stronger obliques and intercostals. For me, at least, that means taking an extended time off from judo to do some intense weight training and ab work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 3:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool, so what excercise works the intercostals? is it just lateral pull down ? thanks for the heads up on the prevention, really appreciate that:biggrin:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 2:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can move the ribs inside of the meat that means their done.

Now remove the ribs from the oven and take the liquid you used to braise them and pour it in to a saucier (any wide pan will do). Add about one to three tablespoons of honey and reduce over high heat until thickened, if time is a factor or you prefer a milder glaze you may add a teaspoon of corn starch.

Take the reduction and liberally brush it on the ribs.

Place the ribs under the broiler on high. Wait for the glaze to bubble, and then for the bubbling to slow then remove from heat. Timing is delicate here so donít take your eyes off it, the difference between caramelizing and burning is about twenty seconds.

After than cut into more manageable portions and serve.
    Last edited by Robot Jesus; 9/25/2007 2:22pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purpleskunk, if you start a weight training program without the all clear from your doctor you should be banned from the internet to slow the spread of stupid. You have to take serious time off for a connective tissue injury to heal.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleskunk
    cool, so what excercise works the intercostals? is it just lateral pull down ? thanks for the heads up on the prevention, really appreciate that:biggrin:
    You are not going to work out right now, when you haven't even started treating this this injury? Are you? :eusa_doh
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Weak

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purpleskunk - I took 2 months of training (very grudgingly) when I had the fractures. However I continued running 5 days a week (about 30 miles), it hurt like HELL. I cannot believe I actually put myself through that, my ribs jolted around every step that I took.

The great thing was that I went back to MA training as fit as ever. The bad thing...a year later my ribs keep slipping, are very painful, I find it hard to sleep and wake up, the weather affects me, plus my ribs are 'flexible' in ways that I don't think they should be. When I do ground work, rolling (esp backwards) etc. I can't take much pressure on them. Obviously I just work through the pain but it never was like this before the fracture. I did NOT listen to any professional and in fact avoided them like the plague because all the advice they gave me was stop doing MA.

I can't tell you if the payoff is worth it if you continue to work out, you're adult enough to listen to your doctor/physio/chiro/experiences of other MA'ists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uh dude... ? i never said i was going to work it out NOW while imm INJURED or else i would just brush off this injury and be training rite now! jesus christ assume the worst of stupidity of me would u?

and lily how do you train with your ribs slipping? and dont you see fit to go and see a doctor because it keeps coming back? x_x seeing as how mine dislocated for the 2nd tiem i wanna take a longer time to heal so it hopefully wont happen again...

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2007 11:46pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get a ribhead popped back in at least once a month from the Chiro.

Having a heavy **** like El Matador land on me while defending side mount usually does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Weak

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonillo
    I get a ribhead popped back in at least once a month from the Chiro.

Having a heavy **** like El Matador land on me while defending side mount usually does it.
    Antonillo - Do you find it tends to be the same few ribs (maybe 2 or 3) that pop in and out?

Purpleskunk, I find its a varying degree of pain and 'slip' might not be the best word to use, I guess its more a shift in the rib within the muscles sheathing it. I find that weight training has strengthened it a little, also keeping warm in winter to avoid chest infections/bronchitis help too. The pain really isn't that bad unless I've had a training session heavy on groundwork (as I'm outweighed by between 50-140 lbs by my training partners).

How do you feel at the moment?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2007 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well at this exact moment, the area in the median of my nipple and bellybutton but to the side, has like a grasping pain, imagine having your hands and palms open and then you just squeeze to make a fist, but the pain varies throughout the day, sometimes its sharp pain, sometimes it feel like a bruise kinda pain like somethings poking from the inside out, or it just aches, and the location of it varies too, but at the last session my chiro did say that the lower ribs that are connected to the cartilage might be loose or something, and when i poke it i can feel my ribs moving around i dunno if thats normal though, but that was on wednesday and this is friday.............. it feels like the ribs are squeezing together, and imm trying to sit up straight so the ribs can be farther apart but its not working either, so every 5 minutes or so, they would tighten and it hurts, and then it releases.... out of nowhere

but this whole thing is kinda weird because on that friday it started out with pain on my back where the vertebrae and the ribs join, but now its on the front now, and its been a few weeks already, the back seems to be getting better small random aches here and there but wtf? i know its the same bone but wtf ...its like one problems cleared another ones comes up... but most of the time i think i have whats called fatigue on my shoulder/shoulder blade area.. like it feels tired/worn out but it has pain to it?

god i hate this **** i just want it to be gone and never come back so i can friggin do my training, if this didnt happen the first time i would have been sparring in january but now i guess i have to wait til may or someshit now ah wtf and that is IF it doesnt reoccur again, dammit
    Last edited by Purpleskunk; 9/29/2007 3:34am at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast