Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Using two hands against one is a good way to get hit with a hook. That just been my experience.
    Its definitely a valid concern, but the idea w/ a quan sao (at least the way I understand it) is that you should also be crashing in and eliminating the distance your opponent would need in order to follow up the original punch w/ a hook. Basically, when I do it I either end up smothering the guy or I have ended up in a position that would make him throwing and landing a hook very akward and difficult.

Again, your observation is an important one and should be tested in training to make sure that the wing chun person can pull off a quan sao under different conditions and positions without leaving him/herself open for follow up attacks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    We use an opponent's force to our advantage so size, build, gender and aggression will not determine the outcome.

Yeah, and Smurfette :icon_smur will kick Wolverines a$$ too.

I don't care who he is, using crap like that to get people in your school is wrong, especially if he is a BJJ brown belt.

I spit on his ad.
    That seems a little harsh. Why would you spit on your own computer?

I don't defend too many wing chun people, but Kevin Chan is one of the few that I do respect. I don't think anything he did or said is outrageously off base. Like I said, it is a demo video to give people an idea of what they can learn.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroth
    Blocking with two arms = being hit with a second punch (or worse) if you go against anyone who has any experience at all in an artform that does full contact sparring.

Being a bjj anybelt = being a BJJ anybelt, not being an awesome authority on what works in striking. Just like:

Being a great striker = being a great striker, not being an authority on grappling. So many Kempo and TKD schools need to think about that relationship, as they "rediscover" crappling in their "ancient scrolls". Wait...that sentence makes it sound like I think TKD and Kempo are great strikers. The management, engineers, sound mixers, and all other production staff of this movie do not condone or agree with the commentary as related by one Necrothus G. Lush.
    I'm really struggling to find a coherent point here.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroth
    Regardless, this video shows all the things which are wrong with the vast majority of arts that use words like "street" and "self defense". Mainly I am speaking about the slaps, "chain punching" and the belief that an attacker will gladly fall down from a crappy punch delivered with no hip turnover, thus having little to no power behind it, and that said attacker will definitely not try to block you or attack you after you've blocked him. Gee, good to know all self defense seems to be tailored to fight special needs kids at the Special Olympics. (Again, the production staff apologizes and reminds you that we do not condone the actions of Necrothus G. Lush, especially after imbibing alcoholic beverages.)
    Again...I'm trying to find a point to reply to here and I really can't. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

In any case...I will say from my experience that I have found the (stand up) self-defense techniques that I've learned in wing chun to be far more applicable and realistic than the ones I have learned so far in bjj. However to be fair, I've been training wing chun for 8 years and bjj for only about 15 months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:40pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Yeah, and Smurfette :icon_smur will kick Wolverines a$$ too.
    If it is Smurfette's comic book you can be pretty certain she'll do that in issue #1. Wolverine tends to get used as a stepping stone to put other characters over with the readers.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think this necessarily validates the 2 arms block, but yesterday in MT I was told to block high kicks with 2 arms. Oddly enough in Enshin (Kyokushin offshoot) I was shown the bring your elbow up, running your hand through your hair defense to high kicks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Chun also has several blocks against kicks w/ two arms. One is very similar to a MT block I saw in the class before my bjj class two days ago. In Wing Chun it is called a double jum sao.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:09pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kamonwingchun.com/Interview.aspx

And interview with the guy. I don't have the time to read it, but if anyone else does, show us some quotes.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:10pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    That seems a little harsh. Why would you spit on your own computer?

I don't defend too many wing chun people, but Kevin Chan is one of the few that I do respect. I don't think anything he did or said is outrageously off base. Like I said, it is a demo video to give people an idea of what they can learn.
    I am not questioning his skills. I think the ad is sleazy in that it seems to promise that a small weak old lady is going to whop up on Kimbo Slice by redirecting his own force against him. And I say bullshido! Size, strength and aggression are MAJOR factors in a fight and should not be taken lightly. There are plenty of police videos that show someone being shot more than once and still fighting. Isn't the kung fu saying something like "heart, strenght and then technique"? So selling this is lie is unethecial at best and could get someone hurt or killed at worst. :mad:

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:14pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kevin Chan seems to be one of the 0.00001% of chunners who actually try to improve their **** with sparring. There are much dumber chunfucks to rib on, leave him alone. Yes his demo vid sucks as much as all other demo videos.
    Last I heard he was a BJJ brown (or maybe black?) and doing well in competition.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:44pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Runningdog you sad, sad loser.
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast