Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 6:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

_ing _un sucks: Kevin Chan "streetfighting"

I was scoping out facebook groups to troll when I came across an _ing _un group for some "Kamon Wing Chun" headed by some dude named Kevin Chan. This is his "streetfighting"

Is this the real wing chun?

From the description on Facebook;

The Kamon system of Wing Chun, as adapted by Master Kevin Chan, is complete and highly effective. It has evolved for use in the 21st century and is continually evolving. The Kamon practitioner learns the complete traditional Wing Chun syllabus in depth, together with the best aspects of other fighting systems to make the individual well versed and flexible enough to adapt to any situation, making them unconventional and unpredictable.

Kamon Wing Chun is self-defence in its purest and most efficient form. The aim is to win in the shortest possible time when a physical confrontation becomes inevitable. We use the most direct lines of attack and defence; explosive punches and palms, devastating elbows and chops and savage low to mid section kicks. We use an opponent's force to our advantage so size, build, gender and aggression will not determine the outcome. Kamon will prepare you for all eventualities in a fight situation. Most forms of combat will teach the practitioner to keep a comfortable distance to punch or kick. However, in real street-level defence, you may not have this luxury, especially where space is at a premium. Perhaps someone simply rushes in to grab you, or the fight goes to ground. Kamon addresses all these possibilities.
    Pretty standard self-serving fare: complete system, address all ranges including ground (yeah your idea of "groundwork" is to put your knee on their rib and chain punch while they lie there like a dummy.) size doesn't matter, system based on the "r34l str33tz".

This is the "street-fighting" promo video that was posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB2-oMLruRw

Yeah certainly looks r34l str33t to me. Obviously dangerous thugs just freeze after being hit once and let themselves be pummeled to oblivion by the 1000 slaps of death. "Don't forget to passively fall over for me Mr Thug so I can kneel on you and chain-punch your face."

I love the multiple "attackers" scenario, where they attack one at a time and stand back while their friend gets seven shades of the deadly done on him. "Hang on Mr Thug, please wait your turn, I'm not done using this crappy ineffective armlock on your friend yet."

Don't forget to look out for the deadly palm strike to the side. "I just disrupted your internal organs! Enjoy the hemorrhaging ************!"

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly the vid is blocked here in the Office so I can't see the wonderment of it all.

I think Kevin Chan is a BJJ Blue or Purple belt, FWIW.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if Randy Coture made a street fighting demo like this it would still be silly.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:35am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahhhh, the music, my god, why? why!?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Newsflash...its a demo video.

I've yet to see a demo video for any type of marital art that is great.

From what I know and have learned from people who have trained with him, I think Kevin Chan and Kamon Wing Chun is right up there as some of the best wing chun trianing you can get.

By the way, Kevin Chan is a bjj brown belt under Mauricao Gomes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But why block one punch with both of your arms?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but there are blocks or deflections in Wing Chun that use two arms (for example quan sao). A quan sao is essentially a bong sao w/ a tan san. So...the idea is that if the bong sao doesn't pick up the punch, then you have the (back up) tan sao to pick it up...but in application they usually pick up the punch at the same time. Using two arms also helps w/ the follow up transition, but that's another story.

I'm sure Tom or someone else w/ more experience than me can explain this better, or correct my understanding if it is wrong...but that's the way I think it works.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:40am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use an opponent's force to our advantage so size, build, gender and aggression will not determine the outcome.

Yeah, and Smurfette :icon_smur will kick Wolverines a$$ too.

I don't care who he is, using crap like that to get people in your school is wrong, especially if he is a BJJ brown belt.

I spit on his ad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using two hands against one is a good way to get hit with a hook. That just been my experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 11:38am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blocking with two arms = being hit with a second punch (or worse) if you go against anyone who has any experience at all in an artform that does full contact sparring.

Being a bjj anybelt = being a BJJ anybelt, not being an awesome authority on what works in striking. Just like:

Being a great striker = being a great striker, not being an authority on grappling. So many Kempo and TKD schools need to think about that relationship, as they "rediscover" crappling in their "ancient scrolls". Wait...that sentence makes it sound like I think TKD and Kempo are great strikers. The management, engineers, sound mixers, and all other production staff of this movie do not condone or agree with the commentary as related by one Necrothus G. Lush.

Regardless, this video shows all the things which are wrong with the vast majority of arts that use words like "street" and "self defense". Mainly I am speaking about the slaps, "chain punching" and the belief that an attacker will gladly fall down from a crappy punch delivered with no hip turnover, thus having little to no power behind it, and that said attacker will definitely not try to block you or attack you after you've blocked him. Gee, good to know all self defense seems to be tailored to fight special needs kids at the Special Olympics. (Again, the production staff apologizes and reminds you that we do not condone the actions of Necrothus G. Lush, especially after imbibing alcoholic beverages.)
Page 1 of 43 1 234511 ... LastLast