Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IKF Point Kickboxing

http://www.akpromotions.org/pointkickboxing.htm
    The International Kickboxing Federation recently started a circuit of point kickboxing tournaments in CA. It's basically kickboxing without knockouts.

Would a tournament of this sort be a good way to break into the full contact ring for someone with little experience in full contact competition?

Also, has anyone on bullshido participated in this circuit that can give feedback about it?
    Last edited by falconhunter202; 9/13/2007 12:31am at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on how you spar in class. If your current class doesn't prepare you for getting hit hard this may be the thing for you. If you eventually want to fight in Full contact fights, you may want to look for a gym that can and will prepare you for it.

I understand it's not point fighting as in ippon point sparring (stop/restart). It's more like Kyoksuhin clicker fighting. Where each landed technique regardless of effect (in his case not too can't actually hurt the other person) is scored. The person who accumulates the most points/clicks wins.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:33pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems like a good program to let one see if they have what it takes, or what they need to work on, without getting crushed or used as a notch on someones belt.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the IKF. Steve Fossum is malodorous.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 4:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on how you spar in class. If your current class doesn't prepare you for getting hit hard this may be the thing for you. If you eventually want to fight in Full contact fights, you may want to look for a gym that can and will prepare you for it.
    Well, in class we spar continuous most of the time, just not full contact.

I understand it's not point fighting as in ippon point sparring (stop/restart). It's more like Kyoksuhin clicker fighting. Where each landed technique regardless of effect (in his case not too can't actually hurt the other person) is scored. The person who accumulates the most points/clicks wins.
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain you're right, clicker fighting.

This seems like a good program to let one see if they have what it takes, or what they need to work on, without getting crushed or used as a notch on someones belt.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I hate the IKF. Steve Fossum is malodorous.
    I don't know what you mean, or who Steve Fossum is. You're gonna have to elaborate.

I got the answers I was looking for, feel free to use this thread to rant about why IKF sucks if you want.