Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:32pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Healing torn ligaments faster?

I tore a ligament in my shoulder recently and was wondering if you guys have any diet/nutrition tips on things that help heal them faster. I went to the doctor and all and she pretty much said I'd be out for two weeks, but I forgot to ask if there is anything diet related that could help it heal faster. Any tips other than eating plenty of protein? Seems like thats what ligaments would be made of and all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:07am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW, I asked my physical therapist if there was a supplement that did for tendons/ligaments what glucosamine/chondroiton does for cartilage. She said there aren't any.

The only advice I've ever gotten about healing tendons/ligaments was "eat a good diet" and that was from someone who was studying to be a PT - they hadn't gotten out into the field yet, so I don't know how accurate their statement was.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    I tore a ligament in my shoulder recently and was wondering if you guys have any diet/nutrition tips on things that help heal them faster. I went to the doctor and all and she pretty much said I'd be out for two weeks, but I forgot to ask if there is anything diet related that could help it heal faster. Any tips other than eating plenty of protein? Seems like thats what ligaments would be made of and all.

i had torn ligaments in my ankle and was in a cast for 6 weeks. it still hurts sometimes and that was almost 12 years ago.

take it slow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:33am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with ligaments is that they have very poor blood supply, hence why they take so long to repair.

Massage may be useful to help get blood into the area. Apart from that, strengthening exercises. Start of light with things like resistance bands and work your way up to weights etc. Cable machines are good too. Make sure you see a physio or sports therapist though so that they can prescribe you a proper programme

Do you know which ligament it is?

You may want to look at rotator cuff rehabilitation. The rotator cuff muscles seem to be the source of a LOT of shoulder injuries.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:55am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Sports Massage Therapist, I strongly agree w/Spirez (of course). Thanks for the plug.

Depending on how long ago the injury was, massage and exercise can be very beneficial, but not if the injury is very fresh. And check with a PT for proper exercises to make sure you don't make it worse. You definitely need to find out which ligament it was so you work the proper muscles.

As far as diet goes, protein and calcium are necessary for tissue repair, and some extra Vitamin A and Vitamin C will help that along.

And since connective tissue does have very little blood flow, don't be surprised if the injury lingers in some form for a long time. And once there is no danger of reinjury, keep the shoulder mobile to keep scar tissue development to a minimum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:35am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah - and ice for the first few days to reduce swelling, then alternate ice and heat to keep fluid circulating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:30pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, i was plugging myself!

lol

But yeah i tore the ligaments in my big toe (turf toe) and when i regularly massage it definitely helps. It's just a shame i can never let it return to full strength before going back to training, otherwise i'd be out for months!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:47pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Do you know which ligament it is?
    Its one of the ligaments that connects the acrmion to the rest of the shoulder.

I'm a bit sketchy of lifting weights for a bit - I'm pretty sure I started the tear by jumping up too much on my face pulls a few weeks ago and driving the shoulder straight into the ground finished the task.
    Last edited by golsa; 9/13/2007 1:51pm at .

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:01pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you need is to really **** yourself up and actually rupture the ligament, then maybe they can do a graft for you and you'll get up to 90% strength. Otherwise you're a bit screwed because ligaments never fully heal.