Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:28am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    i wish i had the time to properly focus on both. as it is, i get to lift maybe 1 or 2 times a week at the most right now.
    Anything is better than nothing.

You can probably put together a full body workout that you'd only want to do once a week.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:38pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Not only that, bone, in general, becomes stronger
    This is definitely true, and a major reason why women in particular make a big mistake in avoiding strength training. It's known as Wolff's law

Wolff's law is a theory developed by the German Anatomist/Surgeon Julius Wolff (1835-1902) in the 19th century that states that bone in a healthy person or animal will adapt to the loads it is placed under. If loading on a particular bone increases, the bone will remodel itself over time to become stronger to resist that sort of loading. The converse is true as well: if the loading on a bone decreases, the bone will become weaker due to turnover as it is less metabolically costly to maintain and there is no stimulus for continued remodeling that is required to maintain bone mass.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff's_law

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:15pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    i wish i had the time to properly focus on both. as it is, i get to lift maybe 1 or 2 times a week at the most right now.
    If you are doing good, say Judo or Kickboxing types of workouts, say 1 to 1 1/2 hours 3 times a week, you would only want to lift weights twice a week, and do long steady distance cardio once a week. This is if you are doing a serious skill/sparring workout several times a week. Doing weights more than that, with a serious MMA or even TMA (Olympic TKD, etc) training schedule will just lead to over training. You won't get bigger and stronger, and you'll be tired all the time. You shouldn't be sore all the time, despite what Body Builders say-"no pain, no gain". Take it from a guy that did years of overtraining, got injured all the time, and wondered why he didn't make as much progress as some guys that took it easier, and cycled their workouts. Like the other guy said, do your whole body in one workout, don't worry about curls and press downs and all that other stuff.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all about lifting, but I understand the argument to not do it. Martial arts are above all else a skill. You get better at a skill by training the skill. You get better at serving in tennis by serving tennis balls, better at running by running, better at skating by skating, etc. It's the specificity training principle.

Time that is spent lifting/performing supplemental exercises is time that you have to invest in skill training. If you have an hour to lift, it's an hour you could have spent training your right straight, or your guard passing, or what have you. Yes, lifting helps with your attributes that are invested towards your skillset, but you get better outcomes by training your skillset.

When you reach a certain level of proficiency, it then becomes more beneficial to invest your freetime in supplemental training, as you will gain more of a benefit from the supplemental training than you will from time invested in the skillset training.

But with all that having been said, most people aren't training to gain professional level proficiency, but are "martial hobbyist", learning enough skill to defend themselves/family, and in that case, if they want to spend time outside of class improving their strength for the purposes of general health/well being, it's still a great benefit.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    If you are doing good, say Judo or Kickboxing types of workouts, say 1 to 1 1/2 hours 3 times a week, you would only want to lift weights twice a week, and do long steady distance cardio once a week. This is if you are doing a serious skill/sparring workout several times a week. Doing weights more than that, with a serious MMA or even TMA (Olympic TKD, etc) training schedule will just lead to over training. You won't get bigger and stronger, and you'll be tired all the time.

Here is where I think MA'ist are a liitle messed up compared to other sports athletes. We have no off season built into the sports. At least in MMA, I have no designated off season where I can say, "ok there are no fights in the next few months so time fr off season training."

Football/wrestlers all change their enitire routines (skill practice, weights, cardio, everytthing) during the off season. They lift more, worry about cardio less, and tone back skill practice until a few weeks out from in season.

Maybe we could work more efficiently if we self designated off seasons for ourselves. Say you fight 4 times in 3 months (like I just did). Now take 2 months off(I am trying this out BTW) to regain the strength you lost and spend more time on skill work etc rather then on competition prep.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:25am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Here is where I think MA'ist are a liitle messed up compared to other sports athletes. We have no off season built into the sports. At least in MMA, I have no designated off season where I can say, "ok there are no fights in the next few months so time fr off season training."

Football/wrestlers all change their enitire routines (skill practice, weights, cardio, everytthing) during the off season. They lift more, worry about cardio less, and tone back skill practice until a few weeks out from in season.

Maybe we could work more efficiently if we self designated off seasons for ourselves. Say you fight 4 times in 3 months (like I just did). Now take 2 months off(I am trying this out BTW) to regain the strength you lost and spend more time on skill work etc rather then on competition prep.
    That's a great insight. I remember a few studies about wrestlers that mentioned how they were right at the point of overtraining at the end of their season, and that their testosterone levels had even begun to drop as well from it, but they were able to pull it off by timing their schedule with the beginning of the off-season.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved the begining of this thread, pointing out how strength and mass can make up for so so technique, so why not add that to good techinique, but i have to disagree with the size deters vilence things. I like to think i look pretty intimidating (maybe i am flattering myself), but it seems to attract more issues than deter. Nobody ever picked fights with my smaller friends, just me and the bigger guys. I guess there are a lot of 'Hennesey Heroes' and 'Tequila Tysons' out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:06pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier
    I loved the begining of this thread, pointing out how strength and mass can make up for so so technique, so why not add that to good techinique, but i have to disagree with the size deters vilence things. I like to think i look pretty intimidating (maybe i am flattering myself), but it seems to attract more issues than deter. Nobody ever picked fights with my smaller friends, just me and the bigger guys. I guess there are a lot of 'Hennesey Heroes' and 'Tequila Tysons' out there.
    or perhaps its relative to where you go and how you act? if you come across like you're up for a fight, fights'll find you.

Or like you say, maybe you're not as intimidating as you think.

poser

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:51pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1

If wrestling can have a season, then other martial arts can as well.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    If wrestling can have a season, then other martial arts can as well.
    But they don't, that's LIGUY's point. Wrestling season is typically a winter sport, whereas MMA doesn't really have a season.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast