221959 Bullies, 4285 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight Lifting/Strength training and Self Defense

Haven't seen this discussion in a while, at least not in its own thread, but what's everyones thoughts on weight training being an integral part of your regimen?

I find it funny that the people who clamor the loudest about how they only train for self defense and to "defend their loved ones" are the same ones who decry weight training as not being important. I understand the Jiu-Jitsu guys who don't want any focus on muscling anything because they want to hone their technique to perfection, but for people interested in quick and easy self defense, I can't think of something better to do than weight train.

To everyone who grapples, you all know how frustrating it can be to deal with some strong guy with just good enough technique that he can just muscles his way out of submissions. The guy who you catch in a triangle, and immediately dead lifts you over his head. Or to people who work striking? That guy who's got so-so technique but has enough weight behind him to make his punches rock you even if he catches you on the forearms? Sure it's not solid technique, and doesn't work if the other person is stronger or heavier, but why not stack the odds in your favor?

And as for bodybuilder type weight lifters. What better way to deter bar fights than to simply look intimidating?

I don't know, maybe I just don't get it. But it makes me think these anti-gym life and death obsessed self defense artists are full of **** about their true goals.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:29pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also interesting to consider the preferences of practicioners of specific MA's when it comes to methods of strength training. For example, I've seen a lot of kung fu guys who are into kettlebells.

I also think weight classes figure into why some people shy away from lifting. It's only been in the last few decades that people have gotten over the myth of being "muscle bound", and you still hear goofballs here and there who say that using weights "slows you down".
    I think, however, that there's still many people who fail to understand the distinction between bodybuilding and strength training, and assume that strength training automatically involves significant size and weight gain.

Plus, you also have the factor that no single person can be an expert on everything. Bullshido regarding weight lifting and strength training may come into play when an instructor simply doesn't know much about it and has too much ego to admit it. Add in the fact that the "science" involved changes over time, and if a gym or school doesn't have a specialized trainer or the instructor is ignorant, students might fall into just doing what everyone else at the gym or dojo does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:49pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muscle fiber recruitment and explosiveness are athletic traits that should be developed by every martial artist. The best ways to do this involve weights. period.

(and that's completely ignoring some of the other great reasons mentioned in the op)

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes being strong is good. It makes it easier to beat up weak people. Plus you are more intimidating when you beat your wife if you are big.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:51pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if your a big guy in a bar more people will want to take you on to test you out. When your drunk you dont care how big a guy is and sometimes the bigger the better. The best defence would probably be to get lots of friends around you by working out your social skills, this will also help you minimize conflict

Personaly, i really think that weight training is important for competition and looking good more than street fighting, i mean, in a street fight where there is no rules, the places your going to go for if your striking are the throat and the groin and maby the jaw after that, but both those vulnerable places do not need alot of energy to hit and infact its better if your quick rather than strong, still, unless you are really busy, you should be doing some weight training to give you that extra edge in certain situations

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hit people in the face in street fights. Its hard to aim for the throat and such, though I have hit eyes once. Much better to just KO them in the jaw, its big, it hurts, and its less protected.

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have no idea how many times I've heard "Speed is power, weight lifting is b/s, Bruce Lee fought at 140" yar yar yar. God I hate these people. Always on about RSBD or ultimate technique or sum bullshit. Size does matter in a fight. Always has and always will. Weight lifting should be combined with good cardio so you can outlast and muscle your way with bigger guys. Next time you hear one of these 'steroid' bash stories, just ask for proof. If a MA'ist says they can take down any body builder type, trained or not, demand proof. Weight helps in a fight. You might as well lift for a while, find your natural weight that makes you feel most comfortable with and then just maintain it for optimum fighting results. Anyone that says otherwise probably does'nt know wtf they are talking about.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:01am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    You have no idea how many times I've heard "Speed is power, weight lifting is b/s, Bruce Lee fought at 140" yar yar yar . . . Next time you hear one of these 'steroid' bash stories, just ask for proof.
    It's especially ironic if people say this because t3h Bruce took roids :laughing3

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    It's especially ironic if people say this because t3h Bruce took roids :laughing3
    Oh god, you have no clue. I mentioned that once and almost got a bamboo sword thrown at me. Another reason why traditionalist's and lazy MA'ist suck.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    Was Bruce Lee really a juicer? I know he smoked the ganja, but I've never heard/read anything concrete regarding any supposed steroid usage on his part.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast