Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 3:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ex _unners? Share your stories!

Any ex wingers, vingers or zingers want to share your experiences in the art?

Did you ask about groundfighting and were told that chi-sau prevents takedowns? Did you practice absurd techniques? (well if you did the _un the you must have) Were you led to believe in silly myths about the superiority of the _un's scientific principles because they have the centerline and use blocks and strikes at the same time? Were you told that you were learning to defend against larger, stronger attackers? Did you ask about sparring and were directed to wooden dummy in the corner?

Help celebrate _ing _un sucks month by giving us the dirt. Rep goes out to the funniest stories.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 4:42am

Style: Ex-wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been through practically all that. Hate my old school with a passion; wrote an article about it here before.

1) I asked my teacher what training was like "at his level" (yes, I believed he was a badass) - his reply was, I quote, "You get to train with grandmaster."

2) I asked him whether it'd be a good idea for me to cross train boxing, or hit bags etc. He warned me that this would make me rigid and I'd have to be careful as I could become tense.

3) We were told daily stories about how Grandmaster Kernspecht (yes, that widowmaking monster) won his fights in an instant.

4) I paid in total, about 250 over 6 months - we hit focus pads once in that time. We never sparred.

5) Sifu Richard Summers (egotistical man), apparently 2nd or 3rd highest ranked WTsunner in England, told us that, and I promise you I don't kid you, that he used to be WC, and then he got his ass kicked in a tournament, by a WTer, so he switched. This was in a seminar in Cambridge, England in February 2005 I think.

6) One of our teachers told us that he didn't do any groundfighting because he planned on finishing his fights standing.

7) We were simply TOLD that we ought to do a tan sau and then chain punch our way to victory. Never hit bags, pads, or sparred. MANY MANY students, at least half of them women, went away believing they could defend themselves.

8) Mount defense = chopping the mounter in the throat (honestly, its true).
    Takedown defense = Elbow to the spine. I promise you its 100% true.

I have countless more stories, which are funny, but mainly scary in that these people actually believed this stuff. They nearly sucked me in too.

Now I do Muay Thai - none of my WT **** works at all. I get punched and kicked a lot, and it hurts my shins, my ribs, and my face. If it leads to some sort of long-term damage, I'lll be happier because the alternative was brain damage through LARPing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 5:01am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One response to a straight punch was a pak sau and straight punch to the face, followed by a ridge hand to the neck, followed by an instep and a 'tiger claw' to the throat, followed by an outside trip, followed by chain punches to death.

I was told during my $60p/hr private lesson that the best response to a double/single leg was to step into the takedown, because they would never expect that.

My sigung told me the reason he was fat, was because he had a 'keg' not a 'six-pack'.

You had to bow like 500,000,000 times during a lesson.

The most sweat I ever broke was when we were doing situps.

On one hand, we were told we were being trained as fierce, never back down fighters, and on the other we were told never to be involved in any form of altercation, or competition.

The elite-ism towards other styles was just pathetic.

I can't think of much else, except it cost me so much money, and taught me nothing. Passing wing chun off as a fighting art is completely ridiculous.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, obviously you guys don't have the real _un. Real _un is awesome. Like MMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Styles

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told that every time they sparred, someone got seriously injured. So they don't spar anymore.

I am working on getting them to spar again, but if i cant, i'm definitely gonna quit.

Fortunately my trainer fell victim to GnP on the streets once, so he invites a local Jiu Jitsu trainer over once a week now for the ground work.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done wing chun/g myself but a freind of mine who is a clinical psychologist told me that there is this guy who does workshops/seminars with psychologists and or students in psychology, using the wc.

I begged him that if the guy is in town next time he takes me with him.

I believe it was an english guy.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelIsNuts
    I was told that every time they sparred, someone got seriously injured. So they don't spar anymore.

I am working on getting them to spar again, but if i cant, i'm definitely gonna quit.

Fortunately my trainer fell victim to GnP on the streets once, so he invites a local Jiu Jitsu trainer over once a week now for the ground work.
    Just quit anyway.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell

I believe it was an english guy.
    That narrows it down.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Styles

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Just quit anyway.
    No alternatives where I live. And hey, its only 10 bucks a month, three days per week, one and a half hours.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/09/2007 6:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    That narrows it down.
    LOL!

next time i see him i'll ask if he remembers his name and or website whatever.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast