Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 6:13pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbow Bomber
    bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! ...what kind of time period separates all these guys alone? ...still 45,000BC should cover it. how did it get from greece to egypt to china to india and end up at herne hill in london? i have friends that live near there should call em and get em to go slap him about a bit.

"Pythagoras can you hurry up and finish that godamn theorem or i'll kick yr ass in sparring!" ...Moses & Budha ffs! lmfao!! this is a classic!
    That's theosophy and other New Age thinking for you. You see, there was this Brotherhood, the Followers of the Right Hand Path that passed on their knowledge via the White Brotherhood orally down the line. It couldn't be written down, because if the average person found out about it, it would profane the knowledge by becoming common. However, the evil ones, the Followers of the Left-Hand Path that took this knowledge and made it written, establishied themselves as an Earthly power, thus perverting the Secret Message. It's Our, (New Agers in this line), job to teach you what that Hidden Message was, which is common to all great sages.

(* The actual teaching is slightly different than this. Blavatsky taught that all of the Great White Brotherhood had ascended to heaven and beholden the Platonic Ideal Form of spiritual evolution, and were trying to teach others to follow it. Thus Jesus, Buddha, yada yada are all teaching the same message, not that they all had the same initial teacher. The Black Brotherhood was trying to teach false religious values and use their messages to obtain worldly power.)

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 6:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Coach Certification

TKDfan, your correct

USA Judo National Coaches certification requires at least a Sandan (third degree black belt)
    For their lowest level of National certification for coaches.

However I have no idea what "American World Judo Team" is. It may be a demo team he put togeather. I think the American team is usually referred to as US Judo Team.

poser

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:20pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    45,000 B.C. lineage
    This really gets me. If this is true, that means that Sebek Kha came into existence something like thirty-five thousand years before the Neolithic Revolution. The chance of something surviving that long is ridiculously small.

Bullshit.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    That's theosophy and other New Age thinking for you. You see, there was this Brotherhood, the Followers of the Right Hand Path that passed on their knowledge via the White Brotherhood orally down the line. It couldn't be written down, because if the average person found out about it, it would profane the knowledge by becoming common. However, the evil ones, the Followers of the Left-Hand Path that took this knowledge and made it written, establishied themselves as an Earthly power, thus perverting the Secret Message. It's Our, (New Agers in this line), job to teach you what that Hidden Message was, which is common to all great sages.
    Mr. Seleem wouldn't be the first to connect occult mythology to martial arts. The famed early 20th century occultist, G.I. Gurdjieff, occasionally dropped a cryptic reference to a Central Asian martial art called Fiz-les-loo, which he described as being "more effective than Japanese jujitsu." Apparently he wanted to get it established in Europe but couldn't find a suitable instructor.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    This really gets me. If this is true, that means that Sebek Kha came into existence something like thirty-five thousand years before the Neolithic Revolution. The chance of something surviving that long is ridiculously small.

Bullshit.
    Re-reading this in the context of Seleem's overall thesis, it's possible that "45,000 B.C." is just a typo for "4,500 B.C." (which is still ridiculous, IMO, but makes more sense re. connecting Sebbekha with ancient Egypt).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sebbekha comes straight down from the Hyborean age. That was the art that made Conan the bad ass of his time.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Sebbekha comes straight down from the Hyborean age. That was the art that made Conan the bad ass of his time.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...new quote. Thanks.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:45pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found plenty of references to sebekkha of various spellings.

This thread I've found funny:
    http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ul...c;f=8;t=004161

Read the title: "Ninjas in Ancient Egypt" :qleapfrog That made me smile.

Here's another fellow that has it listed as history but I didn't see any sources listed:

http://lionsroar.name/david_cox_hist...hite_crane.htm

Nearly five thousand years ago along the river Nile in the fabled land
    of Egypt, the martial art of Sebekkha was created. It was from this diverse
    art of wrestling, stick fighting and boxing, that the Pancration arts of
    Greece were created. By way of Aryans, traveling nomads, warlords, Olympians
    and religious sects this art entered the land of India.
    I caught this tidbit on amazon again:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dune-Francesca...views.start=11
    Sebekkha (an eclectic combination of several martial arts taught to the Egyptian anti-terrorist forces),
    So can anyone familiar with the Egyptian military confirm this?

I found this thread, not a bad read.
    http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/vi...light=sebekkha

Anyway, I'll add that I've never read anything in the literature on the Egyptian military about martial arts, as we understand them. I'll agree with the stick fighting that it's about as close as it gets. The typical soldier was trained in the use of swords and clubs, but I don't think they ever got fancy with hand-to-hand much beyond that. The scenes we have of wrestling and boxing are mostly in the way of sports or games, with a touch of ritual thrown in. Both of these activities were popular all over the Mediterranean and Near East, and were often regarded as rites of passage.
    So really nothing definitive on whether Sebbekkha is authentic or not yet so far.

Though it may be easier to look at Dr. Saleems claims and assertions. Going back to the newspaper article RobT's link:

a member of the ancient Egyptian spiritual order, Unnut, the "Openers of Heaven", which is a secret, though unbroken line stretching back to the dawn of civilisation
    If it's such a secret, why would Dr. Saleem tell a newspaper that he is a member of it? Unless it's like a secret club like the Masons... (I have a masonic lodge almost right across the street from me... it's not really a secret).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good selection of links, but I'm cautious about citing references from sources that aren't directly related to Mr. Seleem. Even if he's a complete Bullshidoka, he can't be held responsible for what unrelated third parties say or speculate about him and his art.

The existence of codified martial arts and combat sports in ancient Egypt is well-established; they obviously had a range of weapon systems for military training (although there are no detailed records of how they used the weapons, AFAIK) and various forms of stick fighting and wrestling are detailed as pictures on the walls of tombs at Beni Hasan and elsewhere.

There is also an extant form of Egyptian stick fighting called Tahtib (a.k.a. Tahteeb, etc.) which was recorded by Western anthropologists as early as the 1930s, and probably does extend right back into Egyptian history as a folk-sport. It doesn't resemble anything that I've seen or read about Sebekkha, though.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:51pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    45,000 BC, eh? Wow, To think that 30-some thousand years before the Sumerians first picked up their maces to beat the **** out of each other, the Egyptians were practicing martial arts. This guy sure taught historians and archaeologists a lesson.
    I agree with the above that this is probably a typo for 4,500, which is still chronologically implausable.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast