Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 7:16pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Carl Merritt - MMA Death Matches - Fact or Fiction?

I was in my local book store the other day when I noticed a book called "Inside the Cage" by Carl Merritt

The book cover described the book as the true story of Carl Merritt and his life as a cage fighter. The cover also describes how some of these fights were to the death. The cover also explained how he hid this unusual occupation from his wife (yeah okay). This whole thing rang massive alarm bells although I thought it unlikely that a publisher would allow a book to go out that was total bullshit.

Needless to say I didn't buy it. Has anyone heard of Carl Merritt or his underground cage fights, many of which seem to have taken place in Las Vegas?

Here is a write up from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Cage-.../dp/0007140886

Carl Merritt breaks the strict code of silence that surrounds The Cage to tell, with Wensley Clarkson's help, how - just months before his 16th birthday - he became the star of this most deadly of sports. The Cage is a ring enclosed by a steel box where participants are urged to fight to the death - an illegal sport that attracts some of the world's richest and most powerful people as its shadowy patrons. Born into a large family in East London, and the victim of domestic violence, Carl tells how he learned to punch properly at the age of nine. He needed to use his boxing skills soon afterwards, by fighting off his stepfather, who was viciously attacking his mother. A few years later, Carl himself was attacked by a vicious youth. The physical damage done to him ruined his chance of a career as a professional boxer, and he became trapped in a cycle of violence, crime and retribution. In this account of his fight for survival, Carl tells of his 12-year career in The Cage. Transported to fights like some medieval warlord, he gained a reputation as the most deadly opponent in the world. Now he has left this world, and is trying to live a normal life with his wife and two children.
    Having killed three people himself, Carl has also dealt out justice to local drug dealers and wife beaters in his role as a vigilante on the streets of the East End. Now he tells his whole story - through to when he fought his last Cage fight in Vegas and gained sweet revenge on the evil men who'd encouraged him to risk life and limb.
    Last edited by BomberH; 7/28/2009 7:22pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 9:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pinch of salt. Just sayin'

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This book is not presented as a work of fiction, but rather an autobiography.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 9:43pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I smell bullshit. If you are interested in debunking it, buy a copy and then go through it to establish a list of claims, and the specific details he provides for each one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    I smell bullshit. If you are interested in debunking it, buy a copy and then go through it to establish a list of claims, and the specific details he provides for each one.

I didn't really want to spend any money on a fraud. However, just from the cover we can obtain several claims from this biography.

1. There are cage fights in vegas in which competitors are urged to fight to the death.

2. Carl Merritt took part in such matches

3. Carl Merritt killed three people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 8:08am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As my wife is an editor at Harper Collins I can probably get a copy without laying out any cash, if I manage this I will try to get a list of claims for investigatation.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 10:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist View Post
    As my wife is an editor at Harper Collins I can probably get a copy without laying out any cash, if I manage this I will try to get a list of claims for investigatation.

Hi mate, I just ordered a copy from Amazon for 1p, so I should be able to put some details down beyond the seemingly unbelievable death match claims on the back of the book.

Hopefully at 0.01 I won't feel so bad if the book does indeed turn out to be complete bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Where did this thread come from? The first post seems like it was extracted from another thread??

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another Carl Merrit book: Fighting to the death

Carl Merritt comes from a world where no rules apply, where violence has always simmered close to the surface. Still in his teens, he became trapped in a world of illegal fighting in order to survive. The men who owned Carl built him into an awesome opponent, and plunged him into a world of appalling violence, crime and retribution. Armed with fists, elbows, feet, teeth and forehead, Carl would target his opponents inside the cage, from which there was no escape. Only the strongest survived. Some of Carl's opponents were even slaughtered by their own supporters, as so much money had been gambled and lost on them. London, Paris, Dublin, Melbourne, LA, Las Vegas: Carl lost track of the number of times he was smuggled into a deserted underground car park or an empty warehouse, in a strange and often inhospitable land. He wouldn't even know who his opponent was until he was pushed headfirst into the cage. Carl's most recent fight nearly proved fatal to both fighters, and once and for all he has left the bloody metal arena behind. Now he wants to break the cage's strict code of silence to reveal how it has become the most deadly sport in the world. By doing this he is risking his life once again.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast