Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 2:12pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJson
    I am taking a pill with omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, and I am taking a multi-vitamin. I'm going to buy Lecithin (inositol + choline) the next time I'm at the health store to help with sheding excess weight. I want more energy and to be healthy.
    On the 3-6-9, are you taking that everyday? you may want to re-think that if you are. It's probably excessive, 6 and 9 at least are pretty common in the average American diet so you may have a very limited need to supplement. And, if you're anything like me, I actually found that the excess was probably inhibiting my ability to digest and uptake. I only pop one now maybe once or twice a week.

thanks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 3:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    On the 3-6-9, are you taking that everyday? you may want to re-think that if you are. It's probably excessive, 6 and 9 at least are pretty common in the average American diet so you may have a very limited need to supplement. And, if you're anything like me, I actually found that the excess was probably inhibiting my ability to digest and uptake. I only pop one now maybe once or twice a week.

thanks
    I wish I would have known this before buying a 250 tablet bottle of Omega 3-6-9. The reason I wanted Omega 6 included was because I was told it is used by the body to form myelin sheath on neurons which is required for healthy brain function- it improves memory and fights depression.

I'll make the switch to Omega 3. I'll find some way to use the 3-6-9, maybe alternate taking it with an Omega 3 every other day?

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 4:08pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some vitamins that lose efficacy when taken together, especially zinc and calcium, and vitamin e and iron.

That's one of the reasons why zinc supplements such as ZMA use magnesium and aspartate as their base. Guess what one of the most common fillers in vitamins is- forms of calcium. In other words, your standard Walgreens zinc supplement may not actually be delivering as much zinc as it purportedly contains, due to the use of calcium as a filler.

This is an awesome article from the sports medicine department of MIT:
    http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsm...rminerals.html

Zinc, oxylates (a chemical that is found in sweet potatoes, dried beans, rhubarb and spinach), concentrated forms of phytic acid (such as found in wheat bran and dried beans)and dietary fiber inhibit calcium absorption.

Zinc and iron taken together may limit the absorption of zinc. Calcium and iron combined in a meal may decrease the absorption of iron. Other products that inhibit absorption are: phosphates (sodas),polyphenols (red wine, purple grape juice, coffee, tea, spices, some fruits, some vegetables), wheat bran, phytates (phytic acids found in legumes, grains and rice can decrease absorption by 50%), tannins (teas, coffees), manganese, cobalt, copper, cadmium (in cigarette smoke), calcium, legume protein (soybeans, lentils, black beans, mung beans, and split peas), lignin (fibrous tissued vegetables) and soy protein. Nonheme iron is more affected by the above inhibitors than heme iron. Nonheme iron helpers that increase absorption: Vitaminc C, citric (fruit), malic, tartaric (tart fruit and baking powder) and lactic acids, alcohol, fructose, sorbitol, meat, fish and poultry.

Zinc absorption is decreased by drinking tea or coffee or eating vegetables or whole grains with phytic acid (found in fiber) with meals. Zinc joins the phytic acid and forms zinc-phytate which is not absorbed. High intakes of calcium, iron and copper may also limit zinc absorption.
    So, taking a multivitamin with zinc, calcium, iron, copper and more together can actually be self-deafeating. A friend of mine with a degree in physiology says that for such reasons, single multivitamins (as opposed to a pack which you take the pills from at different times) are a scam.

edit- this other site has specific studies listed as well in the footnotes

DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS:
    The following dietary supplement:
    IRONHARMFUL EFFECT:
    • Taking CALCIUM and IRON together may reduce the absorption of IRON. This is especially of concern if IRON is being taken for a medical condition such as anemia.
    PROOF:
    • This interaction has been reported in people (11).
    WHAT TO DO:
    • Talk to your doctor before taking CALCIUM and IRON together. If you are already taking CALCIUM and IRON together, take them at different times of the day, and contact your doctor for further information.
    The following dietary supplement:
    ZINC
    HARMFUL EFFECT:
    • Taking CALCIUM and ZINC together may reduce the absorption of ZINC from the diet, especially in elderly people.
    PROOF:
    • This interaction has been reported in people (12).
    WHAT TO DO:
    • If you take CALCIUM supplements, talk to your doctor before supplementing your diet with ZINC. If you are already taking CALCIUM and ZINC together, contact your doctor for further information.
    http://www.luhs.org/HEALTH/kbase/htm...x-amci0051.htm
    Last edited by ironlurker; 9/14/2007 4:11pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ironlurker, thanks for the good post and links!

I know some vitamins and minerals do not work well together and it is smart to take them at different times of the day. This is the kind of information I am looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:26pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I would have known this before buying a 250 tablet bottle of Omega 3-6-9. The reason I wanted Omega 6 included was because I was told it is used by the body to form myelin sheath on neurons which is required for healthy brain function- it improves memory and fights depression.

I'll make the switch to Omega 3. I'll find some way to use the 3-6-9, maybe alternate taking it with an Omega 3 every other day?
    If you're taking a 3 everyday, I'd say take a 3-6-9 every 3rd or 4th day (if that). And that should be driven by your diet.

Basically the deal is this, Omega-6 consumption in excessive ratio to 3 will impede your ability to uptake 3. Omega 9 is a non-essential fatty acid (as opposed to 3 and 6 which are essential) - which means for example, if you were consuming a fair amount of Olive oil day-to-day as part of your diet - your body will make O-9).

It won't make O-3 or O-6 hence dietary consumption from direct sources or supplements. Some food sources for 3 and 6 are fish, soya oil, canola oil, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, some leafy vegetables - all good stuff that provides a bunch of other benefits so you should be eating it anyway.

As a general rule, grass fed animals accumulate 6 and 3 in better ratio (for your uptake) than grain fed do - for whatever reason they retain higher 6 quantities which blows the proportions. So, if you're eating meat and can find it, grass fed beef and lamb will be better than grain-fed - which also applies generally to the meats' nutritional value - grass > grain.

Ideal proportion for 6:3 for maximizing storage of both is from a 1:1 ratio to a 4:1 ratio. As it gets higher than this, your body prefers to stash 6 and does so at the expense of 3. And from current research focus, 3 is really "the business" dietarily, and the hardest to absorb so - focus on getting your 3 consumption and occasionally supplement a 3-6-9.

At the end of the day, to El Macho's prev. post - focus on eating real food, the additive benefits of proper food sources vs. supplementation (generally) kicks ass.

With the exception, as I'm sure someone will point out, that if you're really trying to pound down the protein, it's hard to just eat sufficient quantities along with everything else - and still be able to move around during the day.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 7:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to buy Lecithin (inositol + choline) the next time I'm at the health store to help with sheding excess weight. I want more energy and to be healthy.
    Lecithin for weight loss and energy? How does that work?

I took lecithin when I was nursing to help with blocked milk ducts, but I didn't know it had other purposes (I am presuming, JJson, that breastfeeding problems are not among your health concerns :XXkiss: )
    Last edited by AeroChica; 9/17/2007 7:58am at . Reason: Monday morning spelling.

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Lecithin for weight loss and energy? How does that work?

I took lecithin when I was nursing to help with blocked milk ducts, but I didn't know it had other purposes (I am presuming, JJson, that breastfeeding problems are not among your health concerns :XXkiss: )
    Lecithin is thought to improve liver function, and the liver plays a major role in weight loss through lipolysis. Some ketogenic diets (high fat, low carb) ideally ask the dieter to stop prescription and OTC medications during the ketosis induction phase for this reason.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am taking a pill with omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, and I am taking a multi-vitamin. I'm going to buy Lecithin (inositol + choline) the next time I'm at the health store to help with sheding excess weight. I want more energy and to be healthy.
    Be mindful that shedding weight may not necessarily bring an increase in energy and health. If you are overweight, perhaps, but if not, just be careful.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Be mindful that shedding weight may not necessarily bring an increase in energy and health. If you are overweight, perhaps, but if not, just be careful.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. Not what I had in mind, but yep, that pic explains it pretty much. :tongue6:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast