Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 6:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vitamin suppliment question

How much of the vitamin suppliment is absorbed?

I was told that as little as 10% of the suppliment is absorbed. Is this true? Should vitamins be doubled up, or will this result in toxicity of some minerals?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:36pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the particular vitamins actually. I usually only take half of a multivitamin tablet since any of the water soluable vitamins over what your body needs go out with urine. I also only take 1/2 of a tablet because the fat soluable vitamins *do* store the excess in your fat cells and could potentially be toxic in excess levels.

I asked a biology professor about toxicity & fat soluable vitamins once and he pretty much said that they *could* be toxic in excess (depending on the compound) but we really don't know at the moment so you're best off not mega dosing them unless you live in a third world country.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good question! I am hoping Macho will be along shortly to educate us. I am sure this has been covered before, but I am interested in the answer too.

Is there any particular vitamin that is recommend by the users here? Something not crazy expensive, but high on the absorption scale? I uses to take these $80 a month horsepills my naturopath recommended, they were great but my budget couldn't keep up. On the other hand, I don't see any benefit at all from taking Centrum or Jameison - they seem mostly like a waste of money. And the ones I am taking right now make me hurl if I don't take them right after a meal - and who needs that?

Suggestions?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:37am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho? You there? Buddy?

poser

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 9:05am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    Depends on the particular vitamins actually.
    Yep.

Water-soluble vitamins like C are virtually impossible to overdose on, because they pass through the body so quickly, which means that not all of what you take in is absorbed. When I'm sick, I take 1,000 mg every few hours. Technically, it is possible to OD on it, but it's hard.

Fat-soluble vitamins like A, however, are different. A Vitamin A overdose is relatively easy to make happen, and its symptoms are, ironically, similar to a deficiency, which could make you want to take more.

Minerals like iodine and selenium are hard to OD on unless you supplement, but they can cause problems if you do.

Ask your doctor about doubling up supplements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:18am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Yep.

Water-soluble vitamins like C are virtually impossible to overdose on, because they pass through the body so quickly, which means that not all of what you take in is absorbed. When I'm sick, I take 1,000 mg every few hours. Technically, it is possible to OD on it, but it's hard.

Fat-soluble vitamins like A, however, are different. A Vitamin A overdose is relatively easy to make happen, and its symptoms are, ironically, similar to a deficiency, which could make you want to take more.

Minerals like iodine and selenium are hard to OD on unless you supplement, but they can cause problems if you do.

Ask your doctor about doubling up supplements.
    Good post.

To the OP,
    I started drafting a longer response but instead decided to ask, what are you taking and what benefit are you trying to get?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One shouldn't just double a multi (as kwoww explained), specially if one is having a diet rich in meat (specially red meat). For example, vitamin A and Iron are easy to overdose for men (women need more Iron than men so they can get away with it, just barely.)

A regular multi (like centrum) a day is sufficient. In addition to a centrum a day, I take extra vitamin C just in case (about 2,000mg combined with glutamine). BTW, the government recommended daily dosage on vitamin C is a joke. Take 1,000mg a day at least.

Also, once in a while I take some extra zinc (30mg) for 2 to 3 days and then I'm off for a few weeks. I do this when I feel tired, and also because it helps me control some acne I have on my triceps. That works for me, and may not work for others. Zinc overdose can be risky, and it's not something to fool around blindly.

The argument that only about 10% of a multi gets absorbed by the body is an urban legend (meaning, its teh retarded.)

What happens is that sometimes you can't efficiently absorb all vitamins and minerals when taken at the same time. High levels of zinc or calcium, for example, may conflict with absorbtion. Then you have people hearing this and go "uh, so what's the point, duh, it's ineficient." Then, in true human nature, it becomes the urban fact of 10% absorbed, 90% down through the poop chute.

One can try to make life more complicated than it is already by trying to time when and who take each mineral and vitamin, but to what end?

At the end of the day, the supplementation of vitamins and minerals are just that, supplements.

One should have a good balanced diet first, and use multivitamins and a few extre supplements - calcium, vitamin C almost everyday, folate if you are a woman, maybe Thiamine, Riboflavin, chromium and potassium (iron if you are a women in your period), zinc every once in a blue moon - all of this to cover deficiencies in the food you take (for there are deficiencies no matter what you eat everyday.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 9/14/2007 10:49am at . Reason: holy shit, how many typos I did!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to take a zinc supplement everyday myself.

First thing that popped up when I searched ZINC TESTOSTERONE through google.

http://www.advance-health.com/zinc.html

Zinc, Testosterone, and Men's Health

Zinc is necessary to maintain normal serum testosterone. Inadequate zinc levels prevent the pituitary gland from releasing luteinizing and follicle stimulating hormones, which stimulate testosterone production.

Zinc also inhibits the aromatase enzyme, that allows conversion of testosterone into excess estrogen. The testosterone to estrogen ratio in men declines with aging from a high of about 50:1 to half of that, or even a low of 10:1. Higher estrogen activity results in increased risk of heart disease, weight gain, and obesity.

One reason for the progressive weight gain with age is that fat cells contain aromatase. More fat cells mean more estrogen which means more fat deposition.

This is further aggravated by alcohol consumption, which lowers zinc and increases estrogen, and so magnifies the problem.

In addition to the impact on hormone levels, zinc also has been proven to help the body produce healthier sperm by increasing sperm count and motility. A USDA study found that semen volume dropped 30 percent when zinc intake was low. Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that male volunteers who consumed low amounts of zinc exhibited decreased semen volumes and serum testosterone concentrations.

Zinc deficiency has been found to have a severe impact on the male prostate gland. Zinc deficiency predisposes the prostate to infection (prostatis) which may lead to enlargement of the prostate gland (prostatic hypertrophy).

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Is there any particular vitamin that is recommend by the users here? Something not crazy expensive, but high on the absorption scale? I uses to take these $80 a month horsepills my naturopath recommended, they were great but my budget couldn't keep up. On the other hand, I don't see any benefit at all from taking Centrum or Jameison - they seem mostly like a waste of money. And the ones I am taking right now make me hurl if I don't take them right after a meal - and who needs that?

Suggestions?
    SuperNutrition, owned by father of biochem-guru Michael Mooney, offers an array of excellent products. Most notable is their very high potency Opti-Pack.

At around $30 a month, they're considerably less expensive than the supplements you were taking. I've been unable to find multi-vitamins with potencies as high, as well balanced, or as uniformly in line with the research studies I've seen.

They've often made a point that fewer binders in their tablets allow them to break down more readily and improve absorption. Though most important for efficacy, they claim, is dosage.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNutrition
    When SuperNutrition was founded in 1977, there were only about 3,000 scientific studies researching the effectiveness of higher potencies of vitamins and minerals. Today there are over 20,000 studies in the National Library of Medicine showing that increased potencies of vitamins and minerals lead to increased effectiveness and great health benefits. This growing body of independent research suggests that the critical element for effectiveness is not the nutrient form or carrier but the specific effective dosage level. SuperNutrition supplies potencies that have been shown to be far more effective than the RDA or other lower doses.
    There are definitely worse places to start than their page on nutrition if you'd like more information. A few of the articles are pretty well-referenced and can point you toward other research if it's something you're interested in pursuing further.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    To the OP,
    I started drafting a longer response but instead decided to ask, what are you taking and what benefit are you trying to get?
    I am taking a pill with omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, and I am taking a multi-vitamin. I'm going to buy Lecithin (inositol + choline) the next time I'm at the health store to help with sheding excess weight. I want more energy and to be healthy.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast