Sponsored Links Spacer Image

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 6:04pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broken Hand: what else can I work on?

Well, I actually had a mallet fracture on my pinky, but over the course of 6 weeks, the dang thing wouldn't heal so the docs said I should have some pins put in. I got the surgery done today and now I have a cast around my hand and most of my forearm so the hand's basicaly useless for anything, including typing (no jokes about typing one-handed).

My question is, because I obviously can't train most techniques now, what else can I do to stay fit?

The cast has to stay on for 2 weeks and the doctors even said that I shouldn't even try to sweat because the cast will just soak it up and there might be problems because of that.

My thoughts were that I might still be able to do some light running, normal leg lifts, core exercises, and lifts with the good arm, basically anything not involving that hand, but it all hinges on whether or not I can risk any decent sweating.

Any words of advice?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, typing one handed. I feel you're pain right now- my dad can only type using two fingers (but thats more because he can only concentrate on those two at a time) it's damn slow...

Anyway, i have no real advice... never broken anything. But i think all the things you listed should be ok, as long as you dont go all out and sweat all over the plaster (mmmm, plaster). Though wouldn't lifting with just one arm make you feel wonky?

To aviod sweating- turn up the aircon if inside?

Weak

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess with the cast your arm will start sweating much sooner, are you a sweaty person in general?

You can go to the gym and use Cardio equipment like the Cross-trainer, Step machine, Bike etc. on top of what you've already written in your post.

I'd be including stretching, interval training, swimming (you can cover up your cast).

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    I'd be including stretching, interval training, swimming (you can cover up your cast).
    swimming? I don'tthink I'd ever want to get this thing so close to so much water. Plus, I'd probably sink like a rock...

I also forgot to mention that I did this doing a two-leg takedown... it's what I get for cross training and sparring outside of my kung fu!

One last bit of knowledge for you guys: if you ever break a hand, at least don't break the dominant one, it makes writing your name (and wiping your ass) feel like you failed the special olympics.

thanks for the advice though, anyone with first hand knowledge of what they happened to do with this would be awesome too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This year I have broken both of my hands. My right one (boxer's fracture/non-displaced but all the way through) healed up in march and my left one has 4 more weeks to go (avulsion fracture in the index finger metacarpal)...I have been doing alot of wallking. About 6 miles a day. I am doing my leg routine. I personally wouldn't lift one side for a whole host of reasons.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I personally wouldn't lift one side for a whole host of reasons.

normally I wouldn't either, but my other arm has been weaker than the one with the cast because I had it in a sling for about a month, so maybe I can finally get some better balance in my strength now

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 10:44pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to try some yoga- especially the standing poses.
    http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaphotoga...Photo-Gallery/

You could use the time off from heavier training to work on balance and flexibility. When I wasn't able to attend class for a while I worked a lot on my balance and I was actually really surprised how helpful some improvement was. Balance boards can be expensive but you can pick up a balance disc for around 10$ and work many muscles in your legs and core.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all the anesthesia has worn off and all I can say is.....

OW

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:32pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    all the anesthesia has worn off and all I can say is.....

OW
    The painkillers they gave you will probably work better if you grind them up and snort them :confused2:icon_boun:new_scram