Posted On:
    9/12/2007 4:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SAMBO in Toronto? Commando Krav Maga?

Can anyone recommend SAMBO in Toronto?
    Looking for a school to recommend to someone. He lives in the downtown area, so something close is obviously best.

This one is likely too far for someone living in downtown core: http://www.combatsambo.ca/
    I think this was his post: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48788

Anyone heard or train with this group?
    http://www.commandokravmaga.com/html...s/ontario.html

:glasses13
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive trained with the combat sambo guys. The school in Brooklyn, NY is awesome so if there standards are the same in Ontario it should be a great school to train at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 10:23pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The CKM, however, is bullshido. I'm not saying it's not worthwhile, but the tie in to "Human Weapon" is a major red flag. Don't get me wrong, the show itself is ok, but anyone trying to capitalize off it sets alarms off in my head.

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 10:54pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    The CKM, however, is bullshido. I'm not saying it's not worthwhile, but the tie in to "Human Weapon" is a major red flag. Don't get me wrong, the show itself is ok, but anyone trying to capitalize off it sets alarms off in my head.
    I have to disagree with you there. I have heard nothing but great things about the instructor, Moni.

He pioneered grappling in Canada long before any other BJJer stepped in. Some of the top grappling instructors in toronto today, trained with Moni

writing off the art based on a heavily edited show from human weapon isn't fair IMO

just an exerpt from his bio

Among Moniís Canadian students: champions and world famous No Holds Barred fighters, including Ultimate Fighting Champion Carlos Newton, Japanese Shooto star Joel Gerson The Samurai Club literally dominated every competition, either provincial or national, that it sent fighters to. The reason reality based fighting system and Jiujitsu is as big as it is in Canada is primarily due to the clubís foundation of fighters (also including Mark Bocek, Omar Salvosa, etc.) who are all considered the best grapplers and reality based martial artists in the country.
    Nevertheless, what distinguishes Moni from most instructors in general is not only his ability to spot talent and develop it in a variety of disciplines, but more so his finesse in bringing out the champion in the average person, helping them reach levels they never thought they were capable of, physically and mentally.
    I'm sure the names listed are easy to get in touch with if anyone wants to verify his legitimacy

CKM isn't anywhere near toronto tho. He's way out near the air port apparently, otherwise i would have checked a class out a long time ago

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:45am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding CKM - I organized/attended a CKM seminar taught by Aizik.

He's an excellent teacher with a very broad background - from combat sport to military. I doubt you could go wrong training with his group.