Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:41pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the link it was helpful. Ill be sure next time to do an adequate warm up and stretch, especially a warm up of my knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 11:04pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    thanks for the link it was helpful. Ill be sure next time to do an adequate warm up and stretch, especially a warm up of my knees.
    NP - I'm really not trying to give you a hard time or anything. But fucking your knees now is just going to leave you one of those sad guys you see hobbling around at 30 who can't do **** cause they weren't careful in college.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are using mostly your back to clean the weight you are doing it wrong. You use the hips/legs to drive it up, theback is just supporting you. The olympic lifts are technical (as are the variations) so you may need someone to teach them to you.

Hell I just finally understood how to do all 3 pulls involved in a clean after like a year or so experimenting it on my own.

Now the benefits of the lifts? You get stronger and in this case more speed strength, explosiveness.

I read in my oly lifting book that beginners would do good to get a strength base before starting these lifts. As they are technical in nature, there is more risk for injury.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 2:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you ask what the benefits of the exercise. Do you have any goals? Seems like reverse planning unless you are just genuinely curious. However why are you doing the lift already if you don't know the benefits? Seems like you are lifting without any plan.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And this is why I didn't want to even entertain this question. Sev, you are just starting, you are still trying to know the benefits of this lifts, and at the same time, you are fooling around with a 90lbs dumbbell???

I strongly suggest you stop NOW, and to see a doctor NOW if you are accumulating liquid in your knees. You only have a pair of knees, man. Take care of them.

I cannot imagine what exactly is it that you are doing that's fucking up your knees. I could understand your lower back or your shoulder, but not the knees, not unless you are locking them up somehow, or you are jumping and falling flat on your feet (while locking the knees.)

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    I read in my oly lifting book that beginners would do good to get a strength base before starting these lifts. As they are technical in nature, there is more risk for injury.
    Heed this man's words. You need a strenght base from where to go. Also, I strongly suggest you get these two books and read them (and I mean, read them not gloss over them):

"Explosive Lifting For Sports (Enhanced Edition)" by Harvey Newton.

Also, you should check exrx.net where there is a lot of information on how to perform most lifts you can think off.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 12:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok ok, so ill take it down weight. But how would one know what is the proper weight. I mean, i do have a strength base, my deadlift is 295, my squat 250. I can get 90lb dumbbell over my head without very much trouble (C&J) and the liquid is gone from my knees. I think it was just minor swelling, and not liquid, the skin around my kneed just seemed alot looser, and there was very little to no pain at all. Just to clear it up, i do know the benefits of clean and jerk, i was just wondering if there are different benefits when performing one arm C&J. Im not sure why my knees reacted to this exercise, it may have been from the slight jumping motion performed during C&J. Ill take it down some weight, and like i said ill be sure to do an adequate warm up of my knees,back, legs, everything. And do proper stretching. Btw thanks for the warning, and if my knees react next time i do this exercise, I will either discontinue it or ask a trainer to show me the technique again (although i think my technique is pretty close).
    Ps. My apologies for the mistake about the liquid in my knees, just a little swelling i think. Ill be sure to watch some more technique vids.

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 2:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well doing ot one armed works the core more and shoulder stability too I guess as the whole movement is less stable. It is easy for the DB to fall in any direction where in a barbell lift it is more likely to fall forward or backwards.

Also grip strength is needed more as you only get one hand for the lift.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    k good thats what im aiming for, i just find it to be safer doing one arm c and j because i recently c and j'd with barbell (like a few weeks ago, (no injury occurred) and it fell back behind me, kinda freaked me about a bit, my back bent in a weird way.

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 10:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you lose a lift like that you need to let go and run forward. Just let it drop behind you and move forward, make sure you let go of the bar though or you get messed up.

If it is lost in front of you just back up and let it fall. Don't try to regain control of a lost lift, you just end up pulling muscles at best.

poser

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 9:25am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can I derail this thread a bit?

Okay, thanks.

I found this page recently, and I was wondering what you guys thought of it, since it's got the one-hand snatch on it. What about the other exercises, like the dumbbell swing and the side press? Any good?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast