Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 1:50pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

One handed Clean and Jerk/Snatch

I was wondering what the benefits of one handed clean and jerk/snatches are. And yes, i looked around on google, no source is as reliable as experienced lifters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 6:10pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    I was wondering what the benefits of one handed clean and jerk/snatches are. And yes, i looked around on google, no source is as reliable as experienced lifters.
    I do one handed cleans, one handed snatches and one handed push presses - awesome exercises!

Advantages:
    They're pretty close to full body lifts (legs, torso, arms)
    They're unilateral and this has many benefits... also allows you to reduce strength discrepancies between left and right.
    There's a lot of carryover to many sports due to the nature of the lifts (quick, explosive movements)
    Good to switch with regular cleans, push presses or whatever. Will also help you break through plateaus with the barbell equivalent.

Hope this helps. In short, these lifts are awesome and I swear by them!:evil6:

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 7:00pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the 1h-db snatch. You do a few sets of these with the right weight, you know you've worked out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea i guess that shaking one gets from holding the weight over their head naturally works the core. I somehow hurt both my knees doing one dumbbell clean and jerk, their is liquid in both my knees right now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:12pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea i guess that shaking one gets from holding the weight over their head naturally works the core. I somehow hurt both my knees doing one dumbbell clean and jerk, their is liquid in both my knees right now.
    how heavy are you trying to lift? and how much practice have you done at lighter weights to get your technique right?

nice article from Catherine Imes on technique - it's kettlebell focused but the ideas - especially for the one-hand type lifts are very applicable.

http://www.catherineimes.com/index.p...d=64&Itemid=40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can clean and jerk a 90 pound dumbbell. I pick it up with one hand, i bring it up to my shoulder using mostly my back so its resting on my shoulder. I squat down (quarter squat-ish) then shoot upwards and as the db is going up i drop my body down to help my arm extend. I just recently started doing this exercise so the technique im not too sure about, but i assume i cant be that far off if im managing a 90 lb db on my 2nd or 3rd try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can clean and jerk a 90 pound dumbbell. I pick it up with one hand, i bring it up to my shoulder using mostly my back so its resting on my shoulder. I squat down (quarter squat-ish) then shoot upwards and as the db is going up i drop my body down to help my arm extend. I just recently started doing this exercise so the technique im not too sure about, but i assume i cant be that far off if im managing a 90 lb db on my 2nd or 3rd try.
    yes, or maybe ...
    I somehow hurt both my knees doing one dumbbell clean and jerk, their is liquid in both my knees right now.
    not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all i was saying is im probably making minor mistakes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all i was saying is im probably making minor mistakes
    And all I'm saying is, if you're actually accumulating fluid around both your knee joints from this then (assuming you're not arthritic) it's pretty much not minor and you should take your weight down and work to get your form right before you really **** something up and can't train.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 2:19pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What he said.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast