Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 9:20am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anton
    Often times i go into a roll thinking "i am going to be technical, just work with they give me, etc" And i end up getting thrown around and smashed.

anton
    And, depending on how even your matchups are with your opponents, that will happen for quite a while. Part of learning. But, assuming you're not working with someone who completely outclasses you (either technically or physically), eventually you will get your ass kicked less and less. And THAT'S when you'll "be" more technical. Nobody ever said it was easy or fast, but it eventually works.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A pretty good discussion on technical ability. A question to ask yourself is how do you recognise the difference in yourself, while rolling. I look for a couple of things that point out flaws that hinder your effors. Not relaxing and "flowing" with your opponent. You can recognise this when you find yourself gassing out too early. (remember to breath) Another thing to look at is if you are forcing something to happen or if you can be patient enough to let it come to you. I often find myself trying to force something to happen instead of working with things that are available. You end up bypassing things that are available and go for something that has a low percentage of completion. Anybody else have some ideas or experiences to help out?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    A pretty good discussion on technical ability. A question to ask yourself is how do you recognise the difference in yourself, while rolling. I look for a couple of things that point out flaws that hinder your effors. Not relaxing and "flowing" with your opponent. You can recognise this when you find yourself gassing out too early. (remember to breath) Another thing to look at is if you are forcing something to happen or if you can be patient enough to let it come to you. I often find myself trying to force something to happen instead of working with things that are available. You end up bypassing things that are available and go for something that has a low percentage of completion. Anybody else have some ideas or experiences to help out?
    I try to ask myself when performing a move if it would work if the other person was larger and stronger then me. If I feel it wouldn't then I ask myself if it's something I'm doing wrong that I can correct or if I'm just trying to muscle my way out and I'm not actually performing a technique. If I feel that I am, I will actually "reset" from the technique; even if it's a sweep, pass, or reversal and try to work it with the correct technique. I also try to use my hips into everything I do. The more hip motion I have, the less I'll need to rely on any upper body advantage I may have. I'll also try the same technique against someone bigger just to confirm that it is actually something that can work against someone larger and stronger them me. That lets me know that I'm using proper technique.

I am only 5' 9" and 170 with a belly full of Wendy's but I find that grappling does increase your overall strength and muscle endurance. Against someone who may be a bit bigger or stronger I find that if I wanted to, I could actually overpower them. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:00pm

Style: Retard Poster Jitsu (BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me as a small bloke (5'7'' 64k-70k fluctuates), technical is the ability to apply a 'technique' on a more genetically/athletically gifted opponent.
    By that I mean I can't rely on a physical advantage against the the 6'3'' 96k 20 year old, because I don't have one.
    I also think (my excuse) that the difference between skill & physical attributes has to be exponential to win after a certain period of training. I'm sure a lot of us have seen the physically gifted guy give higher 'skilled/ranked' people a hard time after they've got six solid months of rolling/sub defence under their belt.

Does that make sense?
    I've just finished a late & a six pack.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me technical refers to knowledge and precision. An instructer of mine always compared a surgeon to a butcher, in terms of fighting.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234