Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 11:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your definition of being "Technical"?

What is everyone's definition or outlook on being technical? What does being technical mean to you?

My Definition of "Technical" - "Being technical in my opinion, is having the ability to execute a technique properly with the right amount of timing and leverage without wasting a lot of energy all while enhancing your proper technique with the attributes that have been given to you."

Many people in my opinion totally disregard attributes such as strength and speed as not being technical and I agree that those alone will lead to someone who is not technical. However when you learn how to execute the techniques properly all while performing them with the right timing and applying the proper leverage and then add the attributes that you have such as strength and speed, then you have someone who is truly technical.

This type of person is technical because they can utilize the skills that they have learned and at the same time utilizes the genetic gifts they have been given such as strength, speed, and flexibility.

Thanks for your replies!
    Jason
    Last edited by jasculs; 9/11/2007 11:21pm at .

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    What is everyone's definition or outlook on being technical? What does being technical mean to you?

My Definition of "Technical" - "Being technical in my opinion, is having the ability to execute a technique properly with the right amount of timing and leverage without wasting a lot of energy all while enhancing your proper technique with the attributes that have been given to you."

Many people in my opinion totally disregard attributes such as strength and speed as not being technical and I agree that those alone will lead to someone who is not technical. However when you learn how to execute the techniques properly all while performing them with the right timing and applying the proper leverage and then add the attributes that you have such as strength and speed, then you have someone who is truly technical.

This type of person is technical because they can utilize the skills that they have learned and at the same time utilizes the genetic gifts they have been given such as strength, speed, and flexibility.

Thanks for your replies!
    Jason

I have been known to give this same speech very often.

I agree with you 100%

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 12:23am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    someone who is technical has every body part in exactly the right spot using it in exactly the right way.

that's my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 12:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add to the OP, I think a technical person is always on the lookout for the next move or a backup. If you're not planning several steps ahead, even if you're not relying on strength, you're not technical, you're lucky (I should note that I'm not technical or lucky, I'm most often bitch-slapped).

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to me it's all about position. where and how you place your body. it's someone who demonstrates a arm bar from the guard in 5 steps and while rolling you could see him work all 5 steps correctly, not going forward until everything is right.
    sometimes i get **** from my partners for not jumping on the chance for the armbar, but i have to tell them, my hips are in the wrong position, or something else, i don't want to put the armbar and have to fight to finish it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 3:03am

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me being technical means having a sound understanding of the principals that are being taught. Aswell as having the ability to apply them. At my wrestling club, we have a Polish guy who wrestled under the old SOviet Union back in the early 80's. He is in his early 50's and a bit out of shape but he sure can put us yonger guys to shame. How ? Technique and experiance. Everything he does is just so clean cut. When he executes a suplex or a lateral drop it looks very smooth.

You may not be able to describe it, but you know a technical grappler when you see one. They just make everything look so simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 3:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone who can make things look easy. All their techniques are tight leaving no chance for an escape. They sweep people using momentum and leverage without needing to muscle (different from using strength as per jasculs point) it.

Someone who can pin a much heavier opponent with ease and not allow them to move at all, except for into a worse position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    technical knowledge doesn't necessarily mean extreme practical skill
    You say without practical skill, however the definition of "technical" from the American Heritage Dictionary define it as:

Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field
    Thanks for the replies.
    Jason

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't agree that technique is tied with attributes.
    If that was true. The stronger the person, the more technical they would be. And I'm sure you agree that this makes no sense.

So to me, being technical is being able to have such firm practical and theoretical understanding and skill in techniques, to effectively make attributes seem unimportant.

Seem, being the keyword here.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Knowledge and skill aren't synonyms. Just because you know something doesn't mean that YOU can do it.
    Point taken
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast