Why would you rather lift than train?

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuz there are hot chicks where I lift, not so much where I roll. I get a nice post-workout high after lifting where as rolling/sparring leaves me feeling absolutely exhausted and occasionally nauseous. Lastly, lifting for a night takes a little over an hour, Judo or BJJ+MT classes take 2.5-3 hours.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    I hate to resurrect an old thread, but it popped up in my search and the title was pretty much exactly the same as my question. Should I train 3 hours a night, 5-6 nights a week or should I train 3 hours a night 3 times a week and lift 3 times a week?

I'm still a noob in my core arts, judo, bjj and MT. If I had to choose one goal over the other, it would be teh s1x p4ck abz, in other words, weight-loss/body re-comp.

I work full-time and take classes part-time, so lifting in favor of training would give me an extra 6 hours a week, but at this level, I should be getting as much mat/sparring time as possible, no?
    Not enough time for recovery. The only type of people who can do that are those who have build up the conditioning required for that. And by conditioning I don't mean aerobic or anaerobic conditioning, but the conditioning of taking physical stress and being able to recover AND make gains.

Ron Coleman in his book says something to the nature that you have to spend a good time, years, pumping iron to the point of "pumping" 5-6 days a week and still make gains. Most people do not have that capacity and thus 1) they must start with less frequency and 2) build it up over time (here, he's referring to making hypertrophy gains - for strength/power gains, that'd be a completely different beast.)

I'd suspect the same principle applies for most plans for gaining teh chick-magnet muzzles. You have a back-to-back schedule of training that doesn't leave any time to rest. If you try to train MA for 3 hours three times a week, that leaves little room for you to train for muscular hyperthrophy. And if your MA training includes a lot of "combat conditioning" (plyos, sprints, anaerobic conditioning and **** like that), your gas tank will be too depleted for strenght/power training as well.

I'd think doing one full-body "hard" lifting session a week (and perhaps a "light", 20-30 minutes version on another day) on top of training MA 3 times a week would be your best bet.

Another option is to have a mandatory "lower-body" session once a week, and an optional "upper body" session on another day.

With either approach, notice that I mention about a "optional" lifting session. That session is contingent to how you feel. If you are too depleted from MA training, it makes more sense to scratch that "optional" workout off and use that day for rest.

Gains are made when you rest. You get sick when you don't rest. And let me repeat this: you WILL GET SICK if you don't rest. Things that might not bother you much in general (flu, streph, ringworm, **** like that) will hit you with a vengeance when you are physically stressed.

Train smart.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you need to set up your goals and stick to them for 6-8 months. Cut your MA to 2-3 times a week, and focus on developing your physique OR take one MA class off and take that day for strength training... and then stay with that plan long enough to see some results.

Also, it goes without saying that you need get enough sleep as well as eat well and take the appropriate supplements (fish oil for inflamation, creatine, glutamine for recovery, vitamin C... lots of it, BCAAs... lots of it.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 4:50pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to give you my experiences in this, I currently weight train (the stronglifts 5x5 programme) 3 times a week and do MA 2 times a week. My goal was to loose fat, and gain strength, along with learning something interesting. I can just fit these sessions in without being too knackered, but any more I think will kill me. As has been mentioned, don't underestimate the rest days, these are as important as the gym sessions. If I were to add another session of MA to my weekly schedule I would probably drop my weight training to only 2 sessions a week. Best advice I can give though is have a definite goal in mind for why you want to do this, or you will stop doing something rather quickly.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234