Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 8:57pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

n00b questions about vale tudo and a school

ok... so vale tudo is portuguese literally for "everything is valid", ie. anything goes.

so to me, it sounds more like a ruleset than a "style". upon practicing some google fu, complete with wiki sau, i come across the information that Helio never intended for anything he did to be called vale tudo, rather he was issuing challenges to anyone who would take them, and they got covered on a show called "Vale Tudo" or something of the sort, so the name just stuck.

whether or not that is a flaming turd of information, i have no idea.

my confusion is rooted in the fact, that as far as i can tell, vale tudo guys seem to be doing BJJ + boxing or BJJ + muay thai. the Chute Boxing academy, described as "prime ground for vale tudo training" had a guy box 30 other guys in the cage for their recent promotion (the video is posted elsewhere on these forums). i didn't see any kicks, elbows, nada.

so, where does the striking in vale tudo come from? is vale tudo just a term for MMA trained in brazil?

i think i recall reading an interview where Helio stated he knew how to kick as well, and that he had a particular way to kick with the heel, that wasn't the "karate way" or something like that.

one of the few BJJ schools here has 3 gi classes a week, 1 no-gi classes a week, and does "vale tudo" on fridays. what am i to expect in such a class? (the place is far, and I AM planning on going sometime, but i was just wondering). i know one guy who trained under the schools instructor before he had this school (he currently runs the Yamasaki Academy here, but used to train people before that. he is the first BJJ blackbelt in the country, and also supposedly holds a 5th dan in judo) and he tells me they used to train with a lot of striking, where basically you had a greenlight to do anything.

here's some more info on the head instructor, Abraham Tabar (taken from the DR Yamasaki academy site, http://www.grapplingdr.com/instructores2.html and translated for you)

born in '64. started judo at 7 under Mamoru Matsunaga (very reputable man in what is judo in this country). was central american champion and military champion numerous times. took up BJJ in '95 and brought it to this country. started the Vale Tudo Academy in 2002 which later became the Yamasaki Academy. he was promoted to blackbelt in feb. of this year.

sound good?

they got 2 other instructors listed on the site, a brownbelt and a purple.

Salvatore Sanguineti, who is accredited with:2005 VABJJF Gustavo Machado - Brown Belt Champion

2005 Grapplers Quest South East Championships - Brown Belt Champion

2005 Yamasaki Championships - Purple/Feather - 1st Place

2004 Judo Maryland State/ Champion

2003 Pan-American Jiu-Jitsu Championships 3rd Place

2003 Copa Atlantica Purple Belt/Feather Champion

2003 VABJJF Gustavo Machado - Purple Belt Champion

2002 VABJJF Gustavo Machado - Blue Belt Champion

2001 International Pro-Am - Champion

2001 Grapplers Quest National Championship- Advance 2nd Place - No Gi

him in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7y3d6kfD4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGyuQCCFaJ4

the other is Giancarlo Valdez, who apparently co-founded the Vale Tudo Academy in 2002 with Abraham, and created the only MMA event i'm aware of in this country.

can this place be as good as it looks to a n00b like me? i'm not really interested in gi BJJ, so maybe if the price is right, i can chime in once a week for the no-gi group, and maybe the vale tudo class as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    41 views and no replies? well thanks for the insight, cuntwaffles.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:29pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few notes. yes Vale Tudo translates as "anything goes" or "All In."

Vale Tudo was on a TV show, but I think it was called Ring Heroes or something like that.

There was also the International Vale Tudo Championships which consisted of very low rules fights that lasted for single 1/2 hour round. Chuck Liddel and Wanderlei Silva fought in those.

The lack of gloves made for very boring fights as there wasnt as much closed fist striking as you see today. Much more grappling, not much guard passing.

(begin self-evident) The reason for the lack of guard passing was that if your guard got passed, it was going to hurt. So you would fight for your life not to get passed. Much the same in modern MMA, nobody really would chose to be on their back in another position (end self-evident section).

The IVC also had a strange ring with chicken wire like ropes at the bottom to keep the fighter inside the ring. This ended up with some fights jammed into the ropes for 20 minutes of nothing.
    Last edited by Askari; 9/12/2007 8:35pm at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, but my question stands, in vale tudo training, what is the striking system like?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just reading over what you posted the places sounds like you should give it a try.

You don't see a lot of kicking in MMA because the kicking range collapses pretty quick. Folks end up in the clench pretty fast. Thatst why you need to have good takedown defense and be able to control the clench.

Give it a try.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonzaga? Cro Cop? Rashad Evans? Shogun? Keith Jardine? What do these guys have in common?

Answer: They're all MMA guys who throw kicks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yet still no one comments on the striking aspect of vale tudo training... i'm going to cry.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I ever read about the striking in vale tudo (and this is coming from a Gene Simco book, so I can't verify its validity) is that they train by using no pads and lots of open hand strikes, similar to what we would call "slap boxing". According to Gene, this desensitizes them to getting hit without people getting knocked out all the time.

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 11:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    The only thing I ever read about the striking in vale tudo (and this is coming from a Gene Simco book, so I can't verify its validity) is that they train by using no pads and lots of open hand strikes, similar to what we would call "slap boxing". According to Gene, this desensitizes them to getting hit without people getting knocked out all the time.
    Thats some intresting ****... I'm gonna look into that more. Oh, and do you mean like general combat open hand strikes or the open hand strikes they used in early MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:11am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the VT gym I go to, the MMA striking consists of Muay Thai and dirty boxing in a fairly equal mix. I work on low and mid level kicks (none to the head, gives up too much on balance), but some of the guys do go for the head. We work on elbows and knees from over-under, double under, and Thai clinch, as all of these are used in the cage. We work on clean punching and footwork. The striking aspect is like Muay Thai and boxing with a very heavy MMA standpoint (parrying punches but little ducking punches, squared stance as opposed to more sidelong stance, etc.). But every gym is different. Chute Boxe guys show different striking styles because they employ alot of different coaches, inlcuding Muay Thai and boxing coaches (one of their coaches is a Cuban champion from my understanding).

I'd say that many VT gyms concentrate on precise punching down the center, inside and outside leg kicks, and sprawling to remain standing, but this is my opinion formed by training VT and watching vid of those who claim VT as their style.