Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 9:23am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't this the infection Sanchez had when he fought Kosheck?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: vale tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I heard about that, but I think it was a 'regular' staph infection not MRSA.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 9:34am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see, people say he had staph, but would they really have let him fight with it? They check fighters pretty seriously for stuff like that. I'm still wondering if it was an excuse for he lackluster performance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may not have been an outbreak anymore but I wouldn't want to fight someone with staph. It is highly contagious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do athletic commissions not allow fighters to fight with staph infections? Makes sense... I had a staph infection which was treated with antibiotics, which could be a reason why staph is getting more antibiotic-resistant since this is mostly the way staph is treated.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:56am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, staph has to be treated with antibiotics. The main reason for ab-resistant strains of any bacteria though is OVERUSE of them. For example, you get people going to the doctor with a cold and sore throat. They think they need antibiotics for the sore throat and the doc just gives them to them. What they don't understand is the sore throat is a result of the cold virus attaching itself to the throat, NOT streptococcal bacteria. So the antibiotics don't work, but it the bacteria that might be present will slowly start to build a resistance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 11:11am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me preface this by "I don't work for this place or have stock or any of that crap" etc.
    I just know a fighter that works in production there ;p.

http://www.staphaseptic.com

Protection from infection without antibiotics…
    Skin infections from Antibiotic resistant germs including methicillin resistant staph (MRSA) are
    growing at epidemic rates. These dangerous germs are of great concern to health professionals
    because they spread easily from person to person and can be misdiagnosed as spider bites and
    boils. MRSA is spread through:

* close skin-to-skin contact
    * cuts in the skin
    * contaminated surfaces and equipment
    * poor personal hygiene

Community acquired MRSA (CA-MRSA) is difficult to determine source of contact and spreads
    quickly, especially among athletes who share contaminated equipment and are less aware of
    proper first aid procedures.

Commonly used topical antibiotics, including popular triple antibiotics, have not been shown to
    prevent MRSA infections and can cause skin irritation in nearly 10% of the population. In vitro
    studies have shown that StaphAseptic® kills over 99.9% of MRSA germs, preventing an infection
    without antibiotics. This new pain-relieving wound treatment should be used as part of a
    complete staph prevention program to protect your patients from skin infections.

Educate your athletes to help them prevent skin infections.
    Download a copy of our Facts About MRSA guide.
    I used it on leg funk (whatever you call that) and it was cleared up the next day almost completely.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 11:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of the biggest things people can do is MAKE DAMN SURE WHOMEVER RUNS YOUR GYM CLEANS THE MATS AT LEAST ONCE A DAY (if not more)!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 1:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I also wear a long sleeve rashguard and gi pants when I train to protect my skin from scratches from training. Obviously you can only go so far (you can't really protect the face, feet, hands, neck etc..). There's always some person in a large class that doesn't like to shower or wash their Gi/ board shorts very often.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12