Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 9:57am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very few and very far between. They rarely last very long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:02am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    No. We don't have any of those people in aikido.
    You barely even break a sweat or spar livly in Aikido so of course you want know if you have anyone like that...Sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:16am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be surprised if there are any combat sport/martial art schools (McDojos aside) that don't have @$$holes...it's an ego thing. Some people just like the idea of being allowed to potentially hurt other people so they take advantage of it...I call them overzealous and naive, many times they're just malicious...

I think there are a couple ways for this to be handled...the first of which is usually neglected:

1) Communication - sometimes they just don't know what they're doing. They're new or they're jerks, so they need to be told "Hey...relax, we're just training". Two things usually happen...they oblige or they continue doing what they're doing...if the former happens, then everything's cool...if case 2 happens and you're more skilled than them, then proceed to step 2

2) Escalate - usually if I notice they're beating up on other noobs...then I'll offer to train with a "Mr. Intensity" (as I call them) noob...and they rock the **** out of everything they do with me...and don't respond in kind to "Hey...relax man, we're just training"...then I'll just give them a couple low-kicks...that usually takes care of it...if they further continue, I'll make sure they keep their hands up when we spar...if that also fails...then proceed to step 3

3) Escalate with assistance - next time in class, I suggest that one of the pro-fighters (I'm just a lowly intermediate/advanced student) train with him b/c he's so hardcore...that'll usually get the point across...if not...then it'll usually end up with 4...the ultimate fate of the hardcore noob...

4) Quitting or getting ignored - By now...they're complete idiots b/c they haven't figured out how to train and are tired of constantly getting beat up by advanced students and pro-fighters or people just ignore them and they leave b/c "people here are assholes".....

From start to finish...it's like 2-3 week process if the entire process takes place...

Anybody else notice similar patterns...?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whine, whine, piss, moan, you gave me an ouchie, boo hoo. ,,,,(just for good measure)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:23am

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have an asshole in our gym... he's a large dude with a wrestling background who uses his mass to his advantage (a thick 240+)... he acts like an arrogant, aggressive prick who thinks he can skool anyone just because he's bigger than everyone. there's little or no technique shown, just pure brute strength and for someone who is trying to polish his technique and "flow"... it's kinda hard to do when this guy just slams and squishes. hopefully he won't be around very long...

also, there's a fat little midget guy who walks around like he's all that because he's a blue belt... his legs are a little short and his conditioning sucks, pretty much gasses out after 2 minutes. he's been beat several times by better conditioned white belts... i haven't seen him since...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:43am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    whine, whine, piss, moan, you gave me an ouchie, boo hoo. ,,,,(just for good measure)
    Not sure what you mean here, but I'm not pissing or moaning about the "Mr. Intensity's" at our gyms...I rarely end up getting hurt by them, but I've seen them hurt plenty of other noobs who aren't in good shape or are completely new to the game.

People like that are inconducive to productive and SAFE training environment...I don't mind getting a knot on my head when I'm sparring, if I get hurt, then I get hurt...it happens, especially when other advanced students and I have a "hard" sparring day.

Hell, I'm all for "alive" training...which is why I've switched from TKD to Muay Thai...but the idea that sparring is meant to help both training PARTNERS (not opponents) is foreign to some people and they have to be educated of that in one way or another...that's why I prefer the "just tell them" method...as I feel a lot of times, people just don't talk enough about what's going on...

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:56am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be comforting to think that the guys that are assholes aren't good, or quit, etc, but there are plenty of assholes that just steam on through, at least in TMA and BJJ. Isn't there a video of Ralph Gracie slapping Bobby Southworth while Southworth is on crutches. This is after there were accusations of cheating on Ralph's behalf. Most people would call that asshole behavior. Sure, Southworth's no angel, but you get the picture. Look at 50% of the casts on TUF. Those guys work hard, train hard, etc., but I'm sure there are a lot of guys on that show that go to bars and say "what are you lookin' at?!" I haven't gone to my BJJ school for about a year, but I ran into one of the guys that's into it for the sport, and he said the asshole factor has risen exponentially, since the rise of MMA/TUF noobs. Don't get me started on TKD and all the little punks I've had to deal with.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 10:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,muaythai,aikido,kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think most schools have some of these, personally I could care less about them. I dont listen to them or help em. They know everything already right?

We had this one loser who just kept coming to class and all the upper students were like, why does he keep coming. Usually people who suck this bad just quit, no one likes him and yet he keeps coming and now wants to teach, 5 years later, he's still there.

Then we had this white belt, married, who after I wanna say a MONTH, thought he was so bad ass and was inventing moves, the problem: His wife became so much better then him that he had to quit.

and recently theres this guy that doesnt train like the others and just tries to show off, Im not even sure he is that good, but whatever, again I could care less. He hasnt said or done anything to make me hate em, I just dont like him and I just keep on training. Which is the best advice I can give anyone

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From an instructor's viewpoint, the safety of the students is the priority. If one asshole starts hurting the other students, he can wipe out a class pretty quick. If anyone picks on new students, they are warned about it pretty quickly. If they continue they are convinced to leave and are invited to not come back. We have only had to ask one person to leave. By the time we took action he had screwed up two student's knees and one student's shoulder. Our mistake was to warn him more than once before taking action.

Posted On:
    9/11/2007 12:08pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Look at 50% of the casts on TUF. Those guys work hard, train hard, etc., but I'm sure there are a lot of guys on that show that go to bars and say "what are you lookin' at?!" I haven't gone to my BJJ school for about a year, but I ran into one of the guys that's into it for the sport, and he said the asshole factor has risen exponentially, since the rise of MMA/TUF noobs.
    Agreed. People watch TUF etc and think that training is about being a big man, and inflating their ego. Sure, the exposure for mma it brings more people to MA's, but some real jerks come out of the woodwork.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast