Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 2:16pm

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    Meh, whatever. I wasn't brainwashed by the uber-coolness of the military, but I still joined. Gotta eat, ya know.

Also, bombs ARE cool, so it's not really a trick if it's the truth.

Bombs are cool, provided they are not targeted at you. Imagine a bomb like that dropping in YOUR civilian city to blow up the terrorist who may or may not live 2 blocks away. I promise you that would **** up your house, and possibly kill you or members of your family.

The reported civilian casualties in Iraq are around 75,000 now. That is more than ten times the amount of Americans who've died in Iraq, and the world trade centers combined.

Foreign people are not much different than us (contrary to popular opinion). When they get killed in mass numbers for no reason they get really pissed off (just like we did). I think a lot of people need to try and put themselves in their shoes. Especially because the "insurgent" fighters pay you, and will pay money to your family if you die. When you have nothing to live for already, that's a pretty promising offer.

I understand having to eat, but that's the other thing that is super fucked. You need enough money to support yourself, and any dependents you might have.
    The people behind the current military push in the middle east have more money than they could ever possibly hope to spend.

I mean don't/didn't you feel exploited?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 2:41pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    It's the method of insinuating that war is "cool" and "fun" and "exciting", that scares me.

This kind of propaganda is encouraging our children to go off and get themselves killed, so teh people in charge can continue to promote their own interests. When I hear people saying that a slain soldier in Iraq is a "hero" it sets me off. I mean what is heroic about getting paid to let someone else exploit (and squander) your life so that they can further their own personal agendas?

Especially when the reason a lot of people join is because they are promoting this whole idea of "killing people is really cool".
    A notable example is the U.S Air Force website
    http://www.dosomethingamazing.com
    Check out the one where they drop the cluster bombs(or whatever I dunno what kinda bombs they are).
    Isn't that exciting? I mean you can kill people you don't even know en masse, and you wont even have to look them in the eye or hear their screams. Totally awesome!

Dude, grow a pair

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername
    Nobody is going to dispute that :P

But still, i think joining the army because it is cool is a fantastically bad idea

(I served for a year in the FDF for what it's worth.)
    The Army IS cool. Can't speak for anywhere else but the US Army allows pple to experience a lot that they wouldn't otherwise do. Will you face dangerous situations? YES its your Job. A cop risks his life everyday, especially DEA. They use similar recruiting methods. The job can be exciting and you can experience both the best and the worse that human beings have to offer. Your military career is what you make of it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    B
    The reported civilian casualties in Iraq are around 75,000 now. That is more than ten times the amount of Americans who've died in Iraq, and the world trade centers combined.
    You do realize that most of the civilian deaths in Iraq are due more to them being killed by other muslims than by the US, right? It shouldn't count against us since they've been doing it for centuries already.

Anyways if you want to discuss this more take it to Sociocide, not here. There is already a thread on this exact subject.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Army made a man out of me. I counted 16 or 17 more chest hairs since I joined!

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 1:14am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    You do realize that most of the civilian deaths in Iraq are due more to them being killed by other muslims than by the US, right? It shouldn't count against us since they've been doing it for centuries already.
    Clearly we are in the wrong here. No no no it doesn't matter what the political and religious climate is there, or who's really killing who. WE SHOULD JUST FOLLOW THE WHIM OF POPULAR OPINION, NO MATTER HOW ILL -INFORMED IT MAY BE. We should just halt the surge, pull completely out, and let that whole sociopolitical jenga tower take care of itself. If it falls over, the millions that will die because we did nothing, along with their never born offspring, will understand, right?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 3:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. This thread has taken quite a turn. When I started it I was just trying to poke fun at a crap game and a crap recruitment tool.
    Seems I've opened the Iraq can of worms. I will not comment on the Iraq issue here... if I do I will be here all night and probably get banned.

But back to the topic.

I do find it a little disturbing that armed forces (it seems around the world) are using video games whether crap or otherwise as a means of recruitment. Perhaps this is a logical method considering that todays generation are basically playstation heads.

But I think it is unwise. Military service should, in my opinion, be sold on its merits. Not on a bloody computer game.

Ive noticed the change in TV recruitment adds as well. They used to show you all the experiences you could have and the contribution that you would make.
    Now they its all CGI with a HOT Lara Croft look alike in NZ uniform in various scenarios. All of which include some stupidly basic puzzle and finishes with something like "If you can crack the code, YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES!". Then it directs you to the army website to confirm your answer.

No wonder bloody recruit standards are dropping.

Sure, the army can be a great move. I am proud of my time in the army and it gave me a lot of experiences and some great memories. But I dont think people should be recruited by bullshit, they should be recruited on a real understanding of what its all about.

PS. To whoever made the earlier comment, yes you are right. When the Zombie invasion comes, we are the best prepared nation in the world.
    Our SAS have played every single version of Doom and Resident Evil and are jacked up and good to go.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 4:19am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong2
    When the Zombie invasion comes, we are the best prepared nation in the world.
    Our SAS have played every single version of Doom and Resident Evil and are jacked up and good to go.
    Let's not overlook a Covenant invasion. We've got that covered as well.:qright5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:28am

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible

Anyways if you want to discuss this more take it to Sociocide, not here. There is already a thread on this exact subject.

You can't be serious. The first gulf war started in 1990. After it ended we enacted economic sanctions against iraq which caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of children, due to lack of proper food, medical supplies, etc.

In our more recent war we have totally wrecked the country. I mean of course there is sectarian violence, the whole infrastructure is gone. There is no law in their country except what is imposed by us, the invaders. People act like they should be rolling out the friggin red carpet for us, but they don't see us as liberators, we're the destroyers who turned their home into a warzone.

For 17 years we have been bombing Iraq, depriving its citizens of vital supplies, and destabilizing the region to the point where Iraq is the second most unstable country in the world(before Sudan). Say what you will about Saddam, at least he had some level of control, because he clearly understood the politics of his country. It now looks like due to our total incapability of dealing with the problem, we are going to (eventually) pull out, leaving the country to collapse in on itself in a religious/civil war that we are directly responsible for.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lefty, is that you?
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast