218358 Bullies, 974 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

August is TUF Noobs Suck Month!

You know the guy, he's the jerk at your gym with the whole TapouT ensemble who's never trained a day in his life. Or he's the kid in your class who's under the impression that he's tough because he watches Pride reruns on FSN. But most likely he's the pimply, morbidly obese guy posting commentary on YouTube videos about "Chuck Lytell" and how he'd "Armbar the heck out of "Rampage Quinton", or how some washed up kung fu douchebag desperately holding a headlock from bottom mount was "using a guillotine choke".

Don't get us wrong, we love new fans of the sport. I'm always trying to recruit people to watch UFC events over at my house and drag them to local shows in support of the sport. But we're not talking about casual or even hardcore fans here. We're talking about what happens when you combine an unchecked enthusiasm for something you don't fully understand, with the powerful communication medium of the Internet.

You get people who talk out of their ass, thinking they know everything about Mixed Martial Arts because they watched Gabe Rudiger stick a tube up his. The worst offenders are those who feel that because they post on an MMA forum frequented by real fighters, that somehow their toughness rubs off on them.

These are TUF Noobs. It's not just that they started following the sport because they saw an episode of The Ultimate Fighter. It's that they're jackasses in general who wouldn't be following the sport if we were still in the "Banned from Pay Per View" days where dedicated fans (almost all of whom either trained, or were fighters themselves), kept it alive on forums like the UG.

For those of you who are just fans, who don't or can't train, we're glad you're aboard. Just keep this in mind though: watching something on TV doesn't make you tough. Going to MMA shows doesn't make you tough. Wearing TapouT, Sprawl, or Full Contact Fighter gear doesn't make you tough. What makes you tough is getting your ass on the mat 3, 5, 7 days a week; getting humbled by those who are better than you, and learning first hand exactly what it takes to get in that cage and fight.

Training is the anti-TUF Noob. It keeps you from yelling stupid crap at fight shows ("kick him in the face woooo" when the guy's on the ground). It keeps you from being one of the asshats who boos when a fight goes to the ground. And it just makes you a better fan in general.

So if you're a TUF Noob, own up to it, get your ass to a legitimate school that trains fighters, and stop shitting up our sport.

Thanks.
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 12:31pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell yes.

I see these guys everywhere. In fact just last week I had two of them sitting behind me when I was at a local MMA event.

From what I heard they only knew one word:

Elbow.

It was used in a variety of ways, such as "ELLLLLLLL-BOW" and "EHL-BO!" I also found it suprising that these masters of the cage that the elbow was good at any range. When the bell for each round would start they'd immediatly shout "ELBOW!!!" for all three rounds of all 14 fights.

When the fight went to the ground, they started alternating between booing and shouting elbow. Oh yeah, and the people nex to them just had to point out how the fighters "sucked" and were "wussies".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 12:36pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember when I first got introduced to the sport of MMA. I never competed in it, and I don't pretend to be an expert fighter. (I actually try to avoid fights when ever possible).

It was summer of 2006. I met this kid who said that he was doing judo. At the time, I was still under the mistaken impression that TKD could work in a real situation. So, we decided to spar. Guess who won? Not me.

Later, that month, I was at the book store where I saw a book called "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Theory and Technique". I bought the book, and and immediately started to read. Now before this point, I had heard of these competitions where participants didn't just wrestle, or box, or spar, but actually fought each other. I didn't know much about it, but my dad was happy to tell me how it was like "Roman Gladiators", and the "Lowest level of human kind".

However, this was not the image of MMA that the book painted. The book depicted MMA to be a contest of styles (though it has evolved beyond that these days). Having an open mind I went on youtube and watched a few MMA clips. It was on that day that I became a big MMA fan. It was also on this day that I finally figured out what real martial arts was.

A few days later I stumbled on this forum while looking for MMA videos and immediately signed up. I am planning on taking up judo when I go to college.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:22pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think we have TUF noobs in England. I haven't met anyone outside of the internet that watches TUF apart from me.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:29pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, wanna-be tough asses that think they know **** about Pride, UFC, or MMA in general suck.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to go round and give any of the ones I know an ass beating, considering that my mom thinks I'll be going to a good colelge so she's expecting me to raise my GPA...

asdfjkadklf

I don't think mum understands that I'll be more interested in training than studying when in college.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:32pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the, "yeah I train a few hours a week, but I suck and the average girl scout still pins me 2 out of 3." TUF noob?

Or am I next month?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    I don't think mum understands that I'll be more interested in training than studying when in college.

Training rocks, but you might want to rethink that strategy. Otherwise you'll end up working a blue collar job - 60 hours a week because you need the overtime. No time to train, because your efforts to feed yourself and your family have left you exhausted. Or, you can have a white collar job, work 40 hours a week for more money, and have plenty of time and energy left for training.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:34pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    I don't think we have TUF noobs in England. I haven't met anyone outside of the internet that watches TUF apart from me.
    Well it's not so much people who watch TUF as noobs to the sport in general who think they're tough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:35pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    yeah I think their natural habitat is the internet. In person you can clearly see that they've never trained, so they shut their mouths and try to blend in.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 2:50pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Training rocks, but you might want to rethink that strategy. Otherwise you'll end up working a blue collar job - 60 hours a week because you need the overtime. No time to train, because your efforts to feed yourself and your family have left you exhausted. Or, you can have a white collar job, work 40 hours a week for more money, and have plenty of time and energy left for training.
    Jesus Christ... MUM! I didn't know you're an MMA fan too!

LOL :laughing7

I'm still trying to figure that part out now.

I have something like a 3.1 or 3.2 overall GPA, I would have like a 3.3 or 3.5 if I didn't screw up and get a 2.8 and 2.9 (or was it 2.5 and 2.8? lol) my freshman year.

In any case, I'll probably end up going to Michigan State or somewhere decent like that anyways.

I'm pretty good at procrastinating anyways... Usually, during wrestling season, practice doesn't end till like 6:30 and I still manage to get most everything done. I'd be guessing it's going to be a lot different/harder in college though...
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast