Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't the Old Korean in the first video the one with the magical staff? Like alot of folks i did some TKD as a kid and we didn't have magical staves at all. I feel cheated.

Yea its him, im so jealous of that staff. Its at least +3 and im sure has bonuses to saving throws and charisma. The only staves my TKD school had were the Bo staves we got from the shovel handle factory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:06am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    taters, they didn't even have the decency to buy good rattan staves? What a ripoff.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 2:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: vale tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD = lies, false religion, crap, fraud

TKD is just plain silly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 3:33am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese

No. Line drills are terrible(I've done enough to know), form was terrible, WHAT THE **** THEY HOLD LEGS IN AIR ALL POSY LIKE WHILE THE LAY ON GROUND???
    Correct foot and hip positioning for the side kick, I know that might seem foreign to Judo, but in a striking art it's one of the key components, knowing how to strike correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by WolrdWarCheese
    And Judo = Older (thus more traditional) than TKD and is well loved here. Is it because TKD is "Traditional" that it is hated? HELLS TO THE NO!!! It's because TKD SUCKS (HARD)!!!
    It sounds like basically, the only striking art anyone's allowed to nutride around here is MT, seems kind of close minded and bandwagon jumping to me. While I don't think TKD is teh d3adl3y etc, I don't discredit what it does bring to the table with regards to kicks and striking.

Honestly, I've seen tons of sucky sucky TKD people out there, why? Because there are shitloads of TKD people out there. I've also seen tons of shitty wrestlers, tons of shitty MTer's, tons of.. etc. Yeah, there are tons of Larpers in any discipline, especially any "traditional" one, but there are also those out there who do it in a very real way. There's nothing mysterious or weird about TKD, the first video above was mostly beginner types with some more experienced practicioners working out in a class covering a handful of basics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 3:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by valetudo21
    TKD = lies, false religion, crap, fraud

TKD is just plain silly.
    Heh, some might lie, no friggin clue what you mean by false religion. If you have to take a crap, it's the second door on the right, fraud, maybe some, see above posts shitloads of schools of all kinds.

I know it's worked ok for me, it's not the 'complete picture' but then I don't think any single artform is. Depending on the ruleset, there are always things to add or modify.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 3:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: vale tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Honestly, I've seen tons of sucky sucky TKD people out there, why? Because there are shitloads of TKD people out there. I've also seen tons of shitty wrestlers, tons of shitty MTer's, tons of.. etc. Yeah, there are tons of Larpers in any discipline, especially any "traditional" one, but there are also those out there who do it in a very real way. There's nothing mysterious or weird about TKD, the first video above was mostly beginner types with some more experienced practicioners working out in a class covering a handful of basics.
    most of the "shitty MTers" are TKD students learning the wrong way to round kick because their instructor seemed to think they knew how to throw one.

Of course a proper round kick with the planted leg up on the ball of the foot, the hip overturned and the slicing action going through the target is just dirty street fighting and not effective for competition...

MT is applauded because of the full use and practicality of the techniques. Take relatively simple techniques, learn them, practice them, practice them more, develop power-- knock out people. Pretty simple formula.

As far as false religion -- many TKDs view it as a lifestyle or religion.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love how the technique executed by black belts in that video looks worse than the TKD white belts I've seen.

ATA is like a whole new dimension of TKD.
    More human than human is our motto.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This **** never gets old. Oh wait, yes it does.

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    TKD BB, that was just a workout of all ranks with the GM. I think the main thing was just that he got to work on some very basics with the students at that school.

I know it's TMA but other than that it was simply the old line drills. How 'alive' is practicing a block over and over? Not very, it's about muscle memory and doing it a billion times etc, the aliveness comes in sparring and other drills.

And have you SEEN knitting needles? those bastards are huge ;p.

I know people hate TMA's especially TKD, but if it was _just_ wrestling, what would that leave us with? Don't get me wrong, I love BJJ, I just don't get the loathing and disdain for the old methods of MA's (TKD being very Shotokan etc).
    The disdain comes from the fact that those methods suck. Reverse lunge punch and rising block aren't used in real fights therefore drilling them a billion times is a criminal waste of time.
    Last edited by Virus; 9/10/2007 11:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's quite a few fighters out there with TMA's as part of their background, GSP, Liddell, Swick are just ones that pop into my head.

As far as line drills, I think mostly it's for instructors to make sure the students are doing the techniques correctly. Then they move to bags to practice once any changes have been made etc. While you might not use the full 'reverse punch' you definitely use the mechanics of it say when you rotate into the cross off a jab (body mechanics, not as much the twisting but there is some of that as well).

Saying something isn't used in a 'real fight' though... I'm trying to think of the last time I saw someone arm bar a guy in a real fight, or was out on the street wearing board shorts and a shock doctor... or gloves.

I don't know from your listed styles Virus, but do you work on striking? BJJ and Judo traditionally (I know the evil T-word) weren't striking arts that I knew of. If you do, does an instructor watch your technique and fix things or simply point you at the heavy bag and say let it rip? I'm honestly not trying to be a smart ass here, just curious as the method they use to critique and help you improve. I watch students on the bags and adjust there as well, the line drill being just a part of training at times.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast